Negative Language About Thin People

Options

Replies

• fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I don't and I've never implied that I have. I was pointing out that men are just as guilty of perpetuating body shaming as women are. Like it or not. BTW, that twitter trend was thought of, perpetuated by, and continued by that one specific website.
    might i ask what website it was? i have a feeling i already know, just curious. and if im right, they have trended alot worse things than #fatshaming

Yeah, they have for sure. It's return of kings
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways. If you're overweight, you're disgusting. If you're thin or underweight, you're disgusting. Men seem to focus on making life hell for bigger women (other women do too) and women focus on making life hell for smaller ones.

Oh what the hell ever. Few men are out there making life hell for big chicks. You're ridiculous.

Actually there's a whole subculture of men who perpetuate hate for women in general. It's just since it's not socially acceptable it's kept underground. I've been privvy to a few conversations myself with men who I thought were decent guys... got a little too comfortable around me and started showing their inner self. Hell, take a look at the website www.returnofkings.com or any PUA website.

Actually, I'm going to allow you to reread this and figure out why it does not support your original assertion. With a bit of luck you will find it asinine and irrelevant too.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways. If you're overweight, you're disgusting. If you're thin or underweight, you're disgusting. Men seem to focus on making life hell for bigger women (other women do too) and women focus on making life hell for smaller ones.

Oh what the hell ever. Few men are out there making life hell for big chicks. You're ridiculous.

Actually there's a whole subculture of men who perpetuate hate for women in general. It's just since it's not socially acceptable it's kept underground. I've been privvy to a few conversations myself with men who I thought were decent guys... got a little too comfortable around me and started showing their inner self. Hell, take a look at the website www.returnofkings.com or any PUA website.

And there's a whole subculture of women who perpetuate hate for men....there's a whole subculture of white people who perpetuate hate for non-white people.....there's a whole subculture of PEOPLE who perpetuate hate for gay people...so on and so forth.

Protip: using "fatty" in your username is probably not the best way to reduce the level of people who hate other people for whatever reason.

Protip: I've been Fatty McRunnerPants for years. Get over it. I own what I am.

My skin is too thick to care either way, so there's nothing to get over. However, I'm not the one complaining about people (men) hating on fat women. I just find it kind of odd that a person who is going off about some men's hatred for fat women is calling herself "fatty".
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

Actually, I'm going to allow you to reread this and figure out why it does not support your original assertion. With a bit of luck you will find it asinine and irrelevant too.

You said "few men" my point was there's more than just a "few" :flowerforyou:
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Wow, blanket statements made based on a twitter trend? You're neglecting that there's also a subculture of men who revere "BBWs". The men you're referring to are hateful people on principle. You can't base your opinion of the entire male population based on the behaviors of one specific group.

Um...you're aware of the term "BBC" too, right?

Being fetishized is soooooo flattering!

The term BBW is based on the singling out heavy female bodies in the same way that BBC singles out black male bodies. Despite the fact that people seek out those who fit those terms, they are both offensive in my opinion.

Just because you find it offensive doesn't mean that those being targeted are offended. I have a friend who is very over weight and she is proud of it. That lady gets a ton of action. It's a lifestyle she enjoys. To each their own.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    *deleted*
    Erm... this thread went off in a direction I wasn't expecting when I wrote this.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I blame men for everything & I can't wait to be called a skinny b*tch.

Amirite or Amirite?
  • wheird
    Options

How are these men specifically targeting larger women (which was your original point)?

They had a whole week dedicated to targeting fat women. Read some of the articles. I think the hashtag #fatshaming or something like that.

Wow, blanket statements made based on a twitter trend? You're neglecting that there's also a subculture of men who revere "BBWs". The men you're referring to are hateful people on principle. You can't base your opinion of the entire male population based on the behaviors of one specific group.

I don't and I've never implied that I have. I was pointing out that men are just as guilty of perpetuating body shaming as women are. Like it or not. BTW, that twitter trend was thought of, perpetuated by, and continued by that one specific website.

Way to backpedal. You said men make life hell for big women. Now you are saying that men also perpetuate body shaming. That I will not deny, as that is a societal issue, not a gender issue.

But still nothing to support men, as a rule, make life hell for big women.
  • enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i don't have the stomach for girl hate, it's some that should have been left in the high school locker room. but there's bound to be some resentment when the thin body has been shoved in someone's face their whole life as the Ideal Form.
    This. 100%.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture (no pun intended), and you will find that there are many wonderful men out there supporting and lifting up "big" women. Take a look at this site alone and odds are you are going to see some really amazing guys who are cheering on women who are overweight. There are very few...VERY few...who talk down about women in general on here. MFP is just a very small sample of what you will find IRL. If you are seeing men fat shaming, then perhaps you need to surround yourself with better men.
  • wheird
    Options

You referenced a subculture to support your assertion. A subculture implies a smaller sect of a larger culture. Otherwise it would be a culture.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's just tough out there for women. Like it or not, in general, a woman's value is often linked to her appearance. That's why there's as much backstabbing, crap-talking, jealousy, crabs in a barrel type stuff going on. A man's value isn't linked to their looks.

I hesitate to blame any side, men or women. Of course, we don't have to buy into it. But our society as a whole does. It doesn't make it right that women are so nasty to each other sometimes, but that's just the way it plays out. It's really sad and a really terrible cycle that women haven't been able to break out of, and until our culture as a whole changes, it will continue.

I will honestly say, and maybe it's because other women don't perceive me as a threat. But I have never outright had another woman say anything nasty to me about my size or my looks. Maybe i'm just not hot and thin enough.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

My skin is too thick to care either way, so there's nothing to get over. However, I'm not the one complaining about people (men) hating on fat women. I just find it kind of odd that a person who is going off about some men's hatred for fat women is calling herself "fatty".

Fat is a descriptive word. It's not a horrible word. I'm not sure when or why it's been used in the context of being a curse word. It's not a "bad" thing to describe yourself as fat when, in fact, you are fat. And, honey I am fat. FAT. FAT FAT FATTY. I'm not complaining about men in general hating on fat women, if you've read some of my posts in this same thread I've said numerous times I don't feel it's appropriate for anyone to hate on anyone for their body size. Fat, skinny, in the middle. My body is mine, not yours, not societies. What I do with it is my business. Not yours, not societies. How I describe my body is my business as well. If I were skinny my body would still be mine, not yours not socities. And mine to deal with, describe, hate on as I please. Point blank, mind your own body. Speaking in general terms with the reference to "yours".
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I blame men for everything & I can't wait to be called a skinny b*tch.

Amirite or Amirite?

I blame pickles. Evil zombie cucumbers!
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture (no pun intended), and you will find that there are many wonderful men out there supporting and lifting up "big" women. Take a look at this site alone and odds are you are going to see some really amazing guys who are cheering on women who are overweight. There are very few...VERY few...who talk down about women in general on here. MFP is just a very small sample of what you will find IRL. If you are seeing men fat shaming, then perhaps you need to surround yourself with better men.

I know that and I never meant to imply otherwise. I was giving an example. I have a very loving and supporting spouse of 10 years. I know that not all men hate big women. I know that there are supportive people.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The bigger question is why do we continue to care about what others think of us? Are we so starved for validation of our own self worth that we can't handle it when others don't approve of us?

You may not be able to control what others say, do or think BUT you can control your reaction and your mindset. Find your own self worth and be so confident in your own skin that you will not need the validation of others.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Um...you're aware of the term "BBC" too, right?

Being fetishized is soooooo flattering!

The term BBW is based on the singling out heavy female bodies in the same way that BBC singles out black male bodies. Despite the fact that people seek out those who fit those terms, they are both offensive in my opinion.

Just because you find it offensive doesn't mean that those being targeted are offended. I have a friend who is very over weight and she is proud of it. That lady gets a ton of action. It's a lifestyle she enjoys. To each their own.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the "BBW and BBW admirer" community.

I'm pro-fetish. If you want to be a feedee and have someone force feed you so you gain weight for their pleasure, go at it. If it provides you an outlet to get laid and you like that, that's cool. Consenting adults can do whatever they want.

But there's a very clear difference between attraction and fetishization. And if you're on fetish websites enough, you see that the same kind of fetish exists for extremely skinny women who have jutting out ribs. It becomes not about the woman herself, but about the "weird" aspects of her body.

And I'm speaking as someone who has been fetishized. I'm almost 6'1" and I've gotten attention from men who fetishize my height. I don't particularly find it flattering to have someone focus on that one aspect of my entire body and being.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Every woman on earth has experienced it.

Untrue. No one has ever made either of those types of comments towards me. Not when I was a skinny b*tch, not when I was obese, and not now that I am thin again.
  • enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Something loved ones tell me quite frequently to keep in mind: A comment about your body weight/shape has nothing to do with your self worth. It is simply a statement about your physical appearance. Only you can link those two together- your self worth and your physical appearance.

Now, I agree, society has dragged us to this place where women are taught those two are linked together. But it's up to each of us to decide if we're going to continue to own that mindset or own the battle to change it for ourselves.