Negative Language About Thin People

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    People hate because they hate themselves.

This. The whole thread makes me sad.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways. If you're overweight, you're disgusting. If you're thin or underweight, you're disgusting. Men seem to focus on making life hell for bigger women (other women do too) and women focus on making life hell for smaller ones.

Oh what the hell ever. Few men are out there making life hell for big chicks. You're ridiculous.

Sorry ladies, gotta agree here...*most* men are way more forgiving on female body types. Women are their own worst enemies because, for the most part, they fail to see their best qualities and focus only on their perceived flaws.

10/10 would bang.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Wow, blanket statements made based on a twitter trend? You're neglecting that there's also a subculture of men who revere "BBWs". The men you're referring to are hateful people on principle. You can't base your opinion of the entire male population based on the behaviors of one specific group.

Um...you're aware of the term "BBC" too, right?

Being fetishized is soooooo flattering!

The term BBW is based on the singling out heavy female bodies in the same way that BBC singles out black male bodies. Despite the fact that people seek out those who fit those terms, they are both offensive in my opinion.

Yes. I am aware that many different types of bodies are fetishized. I used the term in quotes and never implied I endorsed its use.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's just tough out there for women. Like it or not, in general, a woman's value is often linked to her appearance. That's why there's as much backstabbing, crap-talking, jealousy, crabs in a barrel type stuff going on. A man's value isn't linked to their looks.

I hesitate to blame any side, men or women. Of course, we don't have to buy into it. But our society as a whole does. It doesn't make it right that women are so nasty to each other sometimes, but that's just the way it plays out. It's really sad and a really terrible cycle that women haven't been able to break out of, and until our culture as a whole changes, it will continue.

I will honestly say, and maybe it's because other women don't perceive me as a threat. But I have never outright had another woman say anything nasty to me about my size or my looks. Maybe i'm just not hot and thin enough.

^This... haha. I've been guilty of thin shaming other women at the gym, but it's entirely based on my own insecurities and self doubting. Now that I'm losing weight and feeling how hard it is... I've realized we're all in this together. I applaud anyone that took the bull by the horns to get healthier and even those people that have to make "little effort" to have a bangin' bod, fact is... they are still doing it. At the end of the day, we have one life to love and live... why be a black cloud to someone else b/c they are just being. Who cares if it's men or women being the guilty party - you can control yourself and how you react to others.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

But don't throw men under the bus. We're not making life hell for bigger women. We are celebrating them, encouraging them, laughing with them, dating them, and marrying them.

Tell that to the guys who yell things out of cars or throw food at big women.

quotes.. not.. working... right..

I had garbage thrown at me while I was weed eating at one of our commercial properties. The driver was a woman...

Probably some man told her to do it. :laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    OM8dXeh.gif

Would also bang Cox.
  • jnichel
    Options
    It's exhausting trying to put different sexes, races, and religions into a bubble with a perfect description of their behaviors. Even arguing "All pitbulls are vicious!" is exhausting.

Save the energy and worry about your own *kitten* instead...

Or... dance. Cause dancing makes everyone happy!!

tumblr_n83ylbsZJN1sedjuto1_250.gif

I hate cats. Especially dancing cats.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I think the only times it's OK to make a comment on someone's weight are:

- you're their loved one

Loved ones can be more ruthless than strangers. I'd rather not hear comments from anyone. :tongue:
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    OM8dXeh.gif

OMG! This! Soooooo much of this! ^^
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There will be people who use nasty language toward you no matter you body size. Some will lash out at thinner people. Some with lash out at larger people. Some will lash out at big chested women. Some will lash out at small chested women. blah blah blah...

You know what?

IT.DOESN'T.MATTER.

Those people's opinions simply do not matter. It's meaningless.

Why? Because they don't know anything about you other than what you look like, and their judgments reflect only upon themselves not you, so let it go. People who talk like that only do it to incite others to abate their own feelings of weakness for the time being. Don't give them the satisfaction. Just walk away and just be you.

Plus, you really don't want to be around people who behave so poorly anyway. They won't have much to offer you.

So true!
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I personally have wondered what it would be like to be thin and beautiful with a sense of resignation that this would never be me. I am determined to lose my weight this time (I'm still losing the same 30 pounds I've lost and regained over and over again) and quite frankly at age 52 I am concerned about looking older (more wrinkles) and having baggy skin. I go to Zumba too and my best friend there is very thin and I watch her doing Zumba and think about how graceful she looks. The teacher is extremely fit but had a weight problem in the past.. My best friends at work are thin and fit and my bff is thin. I have never in my life thought, "skinny b*tch:; I've never heard anyone say it either and if I did I would be as dumbfounded as you were. I have, however, felt jealous, envious, and less than. I've had two run ins with cancer and lost a dear friend a little over a year ago to cancer. Her mother was in her 90s when she died and I always thought my friend would outlive me even though she was 10 years older than I am. I'm just thankful to be alive....at least that's where I try to keep my thinking.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    OM8dXeh.gif

Would also bang Cox.

Totally. Angry sex. Yums.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Wow, blanket statements made based on a twitter trend? You're neglecting that there's also a subculture of men who revere "BBWs". The men you're referring to are hateful people on principle. You can't base your opinion of the entire male population based on the behaviors of one specific group.

The term BBW is based on the singling out heavy female bodies in the same way that BBC singles out black male bodies. Despite the fact that people seek out those who fit those terms, they are both offensive in my opinion.

Yes. I am aware that many different types of bodies are fetishized. I used the term in quotes and never implied I endorsed its use.

I need to agree here. I don't want to get into the details. But, there are other body types (with websites and all) that get fetishized. Personally it doesn't offend me. I can see ways that it could go in a negative direction. But, that's true for all fetishes. It can be healthy or unhealthy. It just depends. Some people like fetishes, and some don't. If you don't like it, then just don't participate. But, some men have preferences and that's all it is (not a fetish).
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways. If you're overweight, you're disgusting. If you're thin or underweight, you're disgusting. Men seem to focus on making life hell for bigger women (other women do too) and women focus on making life hell for smaller ones.

Oh what the hell ever. Few men are out there making life hell for big chicks. You're ridiculous.

Sorry ladies, gotta agree here...*most* men are way more forgiving on female body types. Women are their own worst enemies because, for the most part, they fail to see their best qualities and focus only on their perceived flaws.

10/10 would bang.

:flowerforyou:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a home where from the age of 9 my mother used to put one hand on the small of my back, one on my stomach and tell me to "suck in" until I looked acceptable. I never felt acceptable after that.
    I was nicknamed "thunder-thighs" by my classmates at 13 and all through-out high school when I did robotics I constantly heard in the background "why couldn't a hot girl have joined?"
    I've had groups of girls snicker while I eat a cheese burger, and men on dates order me to eat one because dear god, why would I want to eat something that wasn't served with fries?

Like it or not, these things tend to happen to young women, and it's in our power to change that.

If most people (men and women) handed out compliments the way they hand out criticism, we'd be living in a much lovelier world. When I see a man or a woman and I'm jealous of them or I make a negative snap judgement, I immediately try to find something I like about them. We so often judge, but we never try to change those initial judgements, and that's something I'm really trying to do. So maybe I love their dress, their glasses, the pants there wearing are very flattering, maybe they're having a good hair day, have a beautiful laugh, just look damn happy, or confident or proud. I compliment them on that.

Why tear someone down because they have something we want when we could praise them, improving our mood and theirs?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's exhausting trying to put different sexes, races, and religions into a bubble with a perfect description of their behaviors. Even arguing "All pitbulls are vicious!" is exhausting.

Save the energy and worry about your own *kitten* instead...

Or... dance. Cause dancing makes everyone happy!!

tumblr_n83ylbsZJN1sedjuto1_250.gif

I hate cats. Especially dancing cats.

YOU WOULD!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I need to agree here. I don't want to get into the details. But, there are other body types (with websites and all) that get fetishized. Personally it doesn't offend me. I can see ways that it could go in a negative direction. But, that's true for all fetishes. It can be healthy or unhealthy. It just depends. Some people like fetishes, and some don't. If you don't like it, then just don't participate. But, some men have preferences and that's all it is (not a fetish).

Also the original quote was taken out of context. It was used as an example of a subculture and how all men do not necessarily feel that way. That is it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Also the original quote was taken out of context. It was used as an example of a subculture and how all men do not necessarily feel that way. That is it.

Oh, yeah. I agree. Not all men are the same.
  • jnichel
    Options

My fetish is bendy Bostonian's living in Canada. :flowerforyou:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The man bashing is just annoying, if a woman feels "men make women's life hell" or "make a big woman's life hell" the generalization of all men is just ignorant. It is no different of a juvenile *kitten* stating "all women are crazy" or "all women are b¡tches". If anyone can make blanket statements regarding 1/2 of the human race, they are either ignorant or just have extremely poor judgment and surround themselves with *kitten*.

Body shaming happens to everyone.....my husband always got " you have always been so fit, must be nice not to work at it" (he works hard daily). He has gained 10lbs since a change in jobs, He is built and still a healthy weight but now these same people laugh and say "oh, look he's finely getting fat". It irritates him to no end, he is far from even unfit but these people seem to hope.

For myself I received negative comments when I was fit, but not when I gained. I once worked in an office with 5 other women, each one weighed at least 100lbs more than I did. Daily my food was commented on....if I ate a salad or a meatball sub, they commented. I was told constantly how lucky I was not to get tired, and since I was tiny I could just do tasks and that they needed a break. They have even dropped things to the ground and stated " I can't bend over to get that, you can since its easier for you...like everything else". When my reports showed my numbers were higher and I had accomplished more work, the DM took notice....the other women then stated they thought it was discrimination and he had only noticed my work because I was small. My boss in the office actually filed a complaint that I was being considered for a promotion that she wanted because the DM was discriminating against her for her weight. She never felt that since she pawned her work load onto me, he noticed my signature on the office financials. I actually left that job because the office was constantly hostile, I even got rude comments when my husband brought me things up to work....."must be nice to have everything handed to you" or " he's only nice because she isn't fat" and my favorite "he'll drop her if she ever gains any weight"........ No I just chose a great man and I did gain and he is still here and happy....going on 18yrs.

Everyone has been guilty of making judgments, but voicing them is just immature. The women in the office were jealous, when I spoke up they felt I should have felt complimented. I didn't it made my job hell.

Also just as a note, the comments about my husbands weight....they all come from other men. So humans at times do not know when to keep their mouths shut.