Negative Language About Thin People

Options

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways. If you're overweight, you're disgusting. If you're thin or underweight, you're disgusting. Men seem to focus on making life hell for bigger women (other women do too) and women focus on making life hell for smaller ones.

If you ladies want to hate each other go right ahead, we know better than to try to stop you.

But don't throw men under the bus. We're not making life hell for bigger women. We are celebrating them, encouraging them, laughing with them, dating them, and marrying them.

A lot of what you think of as "men" or "society" is really just those trash magazines you keep buying and supporting.
    you're right, men make life hell for every size of woman indiscriminately. sorry bout it.
    muppets-take-manhattan-again-kermit-copes-city-animals-lipton-tea-156020

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    ok_080713_the-hills-drama.gif
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    It's exhausting trying to put different sexes, races, and religions into a bubble with a perfect description of their behaviors. Even arguing "All pitbulls are vicious!" is exhausting.

Save the energy and worry about your own *kitten* instead...

Or... dance. Cause dancing makes everyone happy!!

tumblr_n83ylbsZJN1sedjuto1_250.gif

I hate cats. Especially dancing cats.

UNFRIENDED
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I myself am neither thin enough nor fat enough to likely be a victim of thin-bashing or fat-bashing. I've seen plenty of both on these forums, but it seems that thin-bashing is the more rampant on this site. It appears to me that, here on MFP at least, there exists far more acceptance of people that are considered too fat than people who are considered too thin.

AND: the answer to "What does he see in HER?" is always. always:

"She is an anatomically complete female."
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I myself am neither thin enough nor fat enough to likely be a victim of thin-bashing or fat-bashing. I've seen plenty of both on these forums, but it seems that thin-bashing is the more rampant on this site. It appears to me that, here on MFP at least, there exists far more acceptance of people that are considered too fat than people who are considered too thin.

AND: the answer to "What does he see in HER?" is always. always:

"She is an anatomically complete female."

Because this site also draws in people with eating disorders.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It appears to me that, here on MFP at least, there exists far more acceptance of people that are considered too fat than people who are considered too thin.
    In my experience, when folks are called out for being "too thin" on here, it's generally because they aspire to have a BMI below the medically healthy range. I do see more people here aspiring to be morbidly underweight than aspiring to be morbidly overweight. Striving to be morbidly obese doesn't require MFP. :p
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I feel like the negativity is going to be there no matter your size. You will never be able to please everyone, and there is always the possibility of ruffled feathers due to jealousy if you are fitter than someone else. So if I'm going to catch flak either way, I'd rather be a "skinny B" than a "fat A". At least I'll have better health with the former, and look better in a bikini! Call me what you want, I like the way I look!
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's so sad isn't it! Like you, I've also been thin, in fact apart from getting a bit chubby for a few years after university, I was thin most of my adult life. I gained 70lbs in 3 years during a very difficult time.

It has been very revealing seeing the reactions on both sides. I've had people say 'oh I'm so glad you're not one of those gym bunny thin freaks anymore' . This from a supposed friend who should know how unhappy I was with my weight gain and how helpless I was feeling at the time. Instead, she was just happy she didn't have to feel uncomfortable eating whatever she wanted in front of me, that's what she said.

Yes I'm fat now but I do not make negative comments towards people whose figure I wish I had. I know how I got fat, I know what I have to do to fix it and now I'm doing it. As much as I might envy someone their figure, I also know that there is no sense in feeling negative about that person. Most thin people stay that way by not overindulging. Some work very very hard indeed. Some are lovely people, some are not. You know nothing about them by seeing only their figure. You know nothing about their journey and their battles.

By calling them skinny btches, you say a lot more about yourself.

Isn't thin where we on here all want to be anyway!? So do we suddenly morph into btches once we get there.... Sigh, there is nothing like jealousy to bring out the worst in women.
  • radario
    Options
  • radario
    Options
    As you should, you look great! Negativity is an attention *kitten* - I honestly believe there are way more positive thoughts towards people with such an amazing figure but they just don't get the airtime or demand to be heard as much as negativity does.

Argh, this post was an attempt to reply to the comment above mine but it seems I'm too stupid to reply on her comment. I give up :)
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I am 100% guilty of this. "She needs to eat a bacon sandwich with mayo..." is said more times than I care to admit in my house. Never to anyone's face... but, truly, does that matter? I guess I just never really thought about how it would be rude or disrespectful, or hurtful... If someone said that to me, I'd be like "woo hoo!" and feel like they saw me as skinny.

I don't know how we got off on the ~men throwing things out car windows at fat women~ tangent, and I think the "men do this" and "women do this" trend in this thread is bull****. People can be mean, rude, disrespectful, hurtful.... people come in all shapes, sizes, races, genders.....

I guess, for myself, I will trend away from the "eat a bacon sandwich" comments and try to teach my son that people come in all shapes, sizes, races and genders. Some are mean, some are not.

It can be very hurtful.

I've had people tell me things like that, and I've overheard people saying it behind my back (and I am far from catty... not directed at you, directed at another post... I actually keep to myself due to social anxiety). And it hurts. It is especially hurtful to someone suffering from an eating disorder. I'd love to eat a bacon sandwich, but when I do, I'm riddled with not only guilt, but bad stomach cramping and bloating.

The fact is, you never know what is going on in a person's life. You never know why they are skinny, or fat, or fit. Not even fit people are always healthy, by the way. Many of them suffer from exercise bulimia, or orthorexia, or a similar disorder. You just never know.

Being told to 'go eat a cheeseburger' hurts me just as much now as being told to stop eating did when I was fat. Maybe more, actually, because I'm hypersensitive to comments regarding my body. Yesterday my mom asked me if I'd lost weight again (just two lbs, unintentionally, I didn't think anyone would even notice) and said that my legs looked like pencils. Even that comment kind of followed me all day, and it wasn't meant to be mean. Someone commenting on my weight or size to intentionally be mean or spiteful follows me even longer.

It's easy to say not to let things get to you, harder to practice when you have reasons for thinking the way you do. I don't want to be hypersensitive to such comments. No one wants to.

I cannot follow this thread. There is a lot going on. I will say that I have experienced negative language toward my body when I was fat (have had people moo at me, had a lady slow down long enough to shout that I had made her lose her appetite, etc) but I've gotten it when thin, too. Just in a different way. (Skinny b****, eat a cheeseburger, etc)

One can blame it on the magazines... but I don't even read those stupid magazines. (Stereotypes suck, you know)

I have experienced it. Many people have. It doesn't mean everyone does it. Certainly, there are people who haven't experienced it (or don't notice it due to higher self esteem? food for thought). And there are obviously men and women who don't body shame at all. That doesn't change the fact that some people are either A) cruel or B) clueless to how their words may affect someone who doesn't have high self esteem.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I must be totally oblivious, because I've been thin all my life and I haven't noticed people talking trash about my body in real life. I don't hang out with catty, negative people, though, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing it. I really don't have the time or patience for that kind of drama. :tongue:

Once on MFP some guy was insulting other women and I called him on it and in his rant he called me "fat around the middle." I guess he thought I'd fall apart at his insult but it was really just silly. I don't consider a 40 year old woman with a 27 inch waist to be fat around the middle! I believe his comment was both inaccurate and mean-spirited, therefore, his comment was rendered invalid. It just made him look foolish. People who say ugly things to other people are just reflecting their own ugliness. That's their issue, so don't make it yours. Don't let them play off your insecurities.

Probably a lot of the time when people say hurtful things about other people it's because they are feeling defensive about themselves. Haters gonna hate. Shrug it off and move on. :flowerforyou:
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Also want to say that I was only talking about things that are harmless and consensual and of age. I don't know what bbc is, so I am not commenting on that.

RoosterBlackPr.JPEG

and now you know.

BBC=big black chickens??? ; ^ D
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I got that yesterday when I went out with work colleagues. I work in a mostly male environment and for some reason this can make the girls very catty and competitive. It was a leaving dinner and I put on a dress which was quite tight, because I am proud of how hard I work to stay the size I am. The other girls are all bigger than me, but I wouldn't call any of them fat - in fact, I have told all of them at once stage or another that I would love to have an *kitten* like that, or a waist, or a chest because I have quite a boyish shape, and I was still flat chested even when I was bigger. None of them do any exercise at all. I ordered a burger at dinner and suddenly it's "ooh don't eat that you'll get fat", "it's about time you ate something" and my personal favourite "are you going to go and throw that up in a minute?" I thought to myself, "how dare you speak to me like that -- do I call YOU fat every time you stuff yet another chocolate bar in your mouth? No because that would be incredibly rude and also unnecessary." Did I say anything though? No. I wonder if they know that I find it hurtful because even though I am happier with my body I still have hang-ups and my lack of "womanly curves" is one of them.

If I didn't work out six times a week and watch what I eat 6 days out of 7, I wouldn't look like I do. I know because I haven't always looked like this and it is bl**dy hard work. I wish that people would appreciate that it's not always "good genes" or "luck".
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    It is something I noticed as I started losing more weight and becoming fitter. It used to bother me, now I just sashay my sexy *kitten* right past them with a smirk.

Vxv0Tgt.gif

I get that from women as well. I cannot put into words how little I care about their opinions. I worked my a** off (literally) to get where I am, and I refuse to apologize for it. I have realized that no matter who you are, what you look like, or what you are doing in life, someone is going to have a problem with it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Every woman on earth has experienced it. We live in a culture that promotes the idea that women's bodies are essentially public property. Until that changes, you'll be subject to public ridicule about your appearance every time there's another person who can see you.

I just had to post this, because it is hilarious. Also, this thread needs some comic relief.

rBrBMln.png
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I am 100% guilty of this. "She needs to eat a bacon sandwich with mayo..." is said more times than I care to admit in my house. Never to anyone's face... but, truly, does that matter? I guess I just never really thought about how it would be rude or disrespectful, or hurtful... If someone said that to me, I'd be like "woo hoo!" and feel like they saw me as skinny.

I don't know how we got off on the ~men throwing things out car windows at fat women~ tangent, and I think the "men do this" and "women do this" trend in this thread is bull****. People can be mean, rude, disrespectful, hurtful.... people come in all shapes, sizes, races, genders.....

I guess, for myself, I will trend away from the "eat a bacon sandwich" comments and try to teach my son that people come in all shapes, sizes, races and genders. Some are mean, some are not.

It can be very hurtful.

I've had people tell me things like that, and I've overheard people saying it behind my back (and I am far from catty... not directed at you, directed at another post... I actually keep to myself due to social anxiety). And it hurts. It is especially hurtful to someone suffering from an eating disorder. I'd love to eat a bacon sandwich, but when I do, I'm riddled with not only guilt, but bad stomach cramping and bloating.

The fact is, you never know what is going on in a person's life. You never know why they are skinny, or fat, or fit. Not even fit people are always healthy, by the way. Many of them suffer from exercise bulimia, or orthorexia, or a similar disorder. You just never know.

Being told to 'go eat a cheeseburger' hurts me just as much now as being told to stop eating did when I was fat. Maybe more, actually, because I'm hypersensitive to comments regarding my body. Yesterday my mom asked me if I'd lost weight again (just two lbs, unintentionally, I didn't think anyone would even notice) and said that my legs looked like pencils. Even that comment kind of followed me all day, and it wasn't meant to be mean. Someone commenting on my weight or size to intentionally be mean or spiteful follows me even longer.

It's easy to say not to let things get to you, harder to practice when you have reasons for thinking the way you do. I don't want to be hypersensitive to such comments. No one wants to.

I cannot follow this thread. There is a lot going on. I will say that I have experienced negative language toward my body when I was fat (have had people moo at me, had a lady slow down long enough to shout that I had made her lose her appetite, etc) but I've gotten it when thin, too. Just in a different way. (Skinny b****, eat a cheeseburger, etc)

One can blame it on the magazines... but I don't even read those stupid magazines. (Stereotypes suck, you know)

I have experienced it. Many people have. It doesn't mean everyone does it. Certainly, there are people who haven't experienced it (or don't notice it due to higher self esteem? food for thought). And there are obviously men and women who don't body shame at all. That doesn't change the fact that some people are either A) cruel or B) clueless to how their words may affect someone who doesn't have high self esteem.
    You never replied to me on the other thread where you posted about this exact thing. I'm sorry you've had a hard time in life, but the question still remains; "What are you going to do about it?" You don't mention anywhere that you have taken matters into your own hands, you don't talk about working hard on your situation, but it's like you're still living and re-living all the bad stuff that happened to you.

I strongly encourage you to seek help, if you haven't already, to be able to move on from those events, so that each time you recall them you don't have to feel the same feelings any longer, but it's just something in your past. Work on being a strong person rather than use the wrong-doings of others as reasons not to move on.

As for the words that come out of other people's mouths, it is your responsibility to take care of yourself and make yourself strong, no matter how others behave around you. Yes, it is wrong of people to behave like *kitten*, but it is most certainly also wrong of you not to claim responsibility of your own happiness.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
    Yeah, I agree. This is like Sockpuppet Theater on steroids.
    Well, we are constantly provided with information on how to make ourselves attractive to men. You may see a face wash commercial and not think anything of it, but to women watching it they know that they must have clear skin and a tight body to be considered attractive because that's what the model in the commercial looks like. Every magazine ad, every tv commercial, every singer, model, and actress reminds us what we need to look like to be attractive to men.

I'm not saying that men are not subjected to this, because they are. Just to a lesser extent.

Every magazine ad, tv commercial, singer, model, actress reminds us what we need to look like to sell the most units and get people in the seats.
    Exactly. Who said we have to believe what some maker of ads or commercials tells us to do? Nobody forces us to follow a stupid leader like a bunch of sheep.
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Briefly reading through all of this I have seen a lot of the fat shaming of women blamed on men, but I think this goes both ways and both sexes are equally as bad as each other.

For example, I was always fit, always in relatively good shape until medication change and a bad breakup casued me to stop caring about myself and my weight ballooned up to 123 kg (~270lb). At this time, newly single and thinking it was about time to get out again, I realised that I may not have had any 'fat' comments directly, but I constantly was ignored by the fairer sex, almost 90% of the time if I spoke to a women, looked at in disgust and then had backs turned to me. It got a little hurtful and more than put me off of bothering to meet someone new. Worse case was someone who told me I looked disgusting and why should someone like her be interested in someone like me.

I then saw a photo of myself, realised I was looking awful compared to what I had used to look like and decided to sort myself out. Fast forward to now where I am down to 92kg, still very heavy for my height of 5'6", but I have always carried a lot of muscle and now have 19% body fat. So I am relatively built for a short guy.

Decided to start going out and definitely get a lot more interest now and the woman who told me I look disgusting, hit on me recently. Now I can't believe that people are that shallow, but it has made me think.

Anyway, to cut a long waffling post short, at the end of the day, male or female, we are all the same, we all have our issues and we all are capable of being down right rude or insulting as well as supporting anyone, in this particular case, that has any form of weight issues. It definitely should not be a man vs woman thing. Quite frankly that is just exacerbating the issues.