Fat turning soft and weird feeling - what is up with it?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! It's me with yet another weird weight loss question.. I've been pretty annoyed as I've lost quite a bit of weight but not much from my belly. Anyways I was noticing today my belly fat is really soft and squishy. And if you squeeze it you can feel like there is pieces inside of it, like it's not one piece of fat anymore. Is my body just not able to break down my fat and just made it soft? I don't like how it actually looks like it hangs down more when before it was more solid and stuck out. Hard to explain. Makes me picture cottage cheese, GROSS I know.... Anyways why would it do that but not lose any inches darn it? Every other part of my body has shrank quite a bit.
    [/q[uote]

me too
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Belly fat isn't all the same. One type of belly fat seems squishy and is easy to grab between your fingers; the other is like a bowling ball in the middle of the gut. The differences between the two types of fat don't end there. Understanding the dramatic difference between the two types of belly fat may extend your lifespan, especially if you carry extra weight in the abdominal region.

Subcutaneous vs. Visceral
    The belly fat you can grab in your hand is subcutaneous fat, which resides between your skin and abdominal wall. This fat tends to be more visible than deeper fat, but it isn't as harmful as visceral fat, which surrounds your abdominal organs, according to MayoClinic.com.

Causes
    Aging causes your metabolism to slow down. Being sedentary can also contribute to weight gain as you get older. However, factors such as age and lack of physical activity don't directly influence the amount of visceral fat you have. Hormonal changes that occur after menopause can cause women to store more fat in their bellies. Additionally, some people inherit a tendency to be "apple-shaped" as opposed to "pear-shaped."

Health Risks
    Visceral fat is linked with a variety of health problems, including high cholesterol, high blood pressure, insulin resistance and diabetes, according to UAB Medicine. These conditions increase your risk of stroke and heart attack. Visceral fat may be linked to such health conditions because it's thought to be biologically active. This means it acts more like an endocrine organ or gland that produces hormones and other substances that may damage your health, according to Harvard Health Publications. Having too much visceral fat may throw off the functioning of hormones that help keep the body in balance.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338079-soft-belly-fat-vs-hard-belly-fat/#ixzz1Yzg2PdTg

I agree. I had the same question of myself when the same thing started happening. Its Viseral Fat being broken down while leaving the more Subcutaneous for energy. This is a VERY GOOD THING. Im about more squishy ahd jiggle on my love handle area as well now. Before it was hard as a rock and I was like what? Its not fat, its muscle. YEAH RIGHT!
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I knew that the weight loss was the cause of my hard fat becoming squishy, but I wanted to know why and what it means for the future. I'm so excited to know this means I'm making good progress. Here's to more squishy fat and less of the hard stuff!
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi guys! It's me with yet another weird weight loss question.. I've been pretty annoyed as I've lost quite a bit of weight but not much from my belly. Anyways I was noticing today my belly fat is really soft and squishy. And if you squeeze it you can feel like there is pieces inside of it, like it's not one piece of fat anymore. Is my body just not able to break down my fat and just made it soft? I don't like how it actually looks like it hangs down more when before it was more solid and stuck out. Hard to explain. Makes me picture cottage cheese, GROSS I know.... Anyways why would it do that but not lose any inches darn it? Every other part of my body has shrank quite a bit.

You might be a Cylon.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if massaging it helps it along at all?

1st GOAL: 100kg (6JUN13)
    13.2kg lost / 22.2kg to go

Oh yes! Massage will definitely help! And massage is necessary for losing fat and shaping your body.

When I lose weight, I always start having this soft fat on my belly, it's the first fat to disappear.

My doctor who helps me with weight loss prescribed me massage once a week. It also significant help with cellulite.
    I have traditional lipomassage once a week.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Oh yes! Massage will definitely help! And massage is necessary for losing fat and shaping your body.

When I lose weight, I always start having this soft fat on my belly, it's the first fat to disappear.

My doctor who helps me with weight loss prescribed me massage once a week. It also significant help with cellulite.

Wow! Have you noticed a difference?

Wow! Have you noticed a difference?

Yes, of course. I often had massages before - about once every two weeks - but mostly general once. This time the massage is focused on body shaping.
    I've always done the LPG but it kind of hurts. And I think the hand done massage is much more better.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I'm noticing squishiness.

Anyone else been through this?
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    in the same boat.. its the process of losing weight. Just drink tons of water and weight train along with your cardio.. it will tighten eventually
  • j0mpst0rt
    j0mpst0rt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost so far 11.7kg, even though my fitness pal doesnt say that. But Im happy, but my stomach has goe from a ball to a flat wall leaning out at the bottom with the fat with the marbles sitting at the bottom. I'm training 3-4 times a week, and the days i train sometimes itrain twice a day, half hour cardio with 15-20 minutes weights.

My picture isnt pretty, but its honest what it was like at the beginning, i'll add another one on the 16th may for which i'm hoping to hit the first goal. I am not doing carb cycling, but doing 1 day fasts, 1 day on, 1 day off, the day i fast is the day I train. at all times idrink tonnes of water. i have a pint beaker which i drink loads of earl grey or peppermint tea.
  • NeuroticNukkers
    NeuroticNukkers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump because I have this happening, Googled it, and found this! Total awesomesauce!
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this!
  • eurochick64
    eurochick64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had noticed my belly had got soft & squishy, so i googled it to see if it was a "Thing", and whaaaat !!, it IS, i'm quite giddy now waiting for the Whoosh !!:bigsmile: :drinker: :laugh:
  • HungryHungrystepho
    HungryHungrystepho Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Any updates on how this ended up for you? I am dealing with it now and find it a bit discouraging.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good to see this seems to be a normality in regards to weight loss...I have been experiencing this for a week now...

Bumping for more discussion.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    moushtie wrote: »
    I figure when it goes squishy like that, it's like having a bean bag that's lost some of its stuffing. When it was full, you didn't notice each indvidual lump. Now that there's room in there, you can feel the lumps that are left. This is good! It means there's less in there than there was to start with!

I second this!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Belly fat isn't all the same. One type of belly fat seems squishy and is easy to grab between your fingers; the other is like a bowling ball in the middle of the gut. The differences between the two types of fat don't end there. Understanding the dramatic difference between the two types of belly fat may extend your lifespan, especially if you carry extra weight in the abdominal region.

Subcutaneous vs. Visceral
    The belly fat you can grab in your hand is subcutaneous fat, which resides between your skin and abdominal wall. This fat tends to be more visible than deeper fat, but it isn't as harmful as visceral fat, which surrounds your abdominal organs, according to MayoClinic.com.

Causes
    Aging causes your metabolism to slow down. Being sedentary can also contribute to weight gain as you get older. However, factors such as age and lack of physical activity don't directly influence the amount of visceral fat you have. Hormonal changes that occur after menopause can cause women to store more fat in their bellies. Additionally, some people inherit a tendency to be "apple-shaped" as opposed to "pear-shaped."

Health Risks
    Visceral fat is linked with a variety of health problems, including high cholesterol, high blood pressure, insulin resistance and diabetes, according to UAB Medicine. These conditions increase your risk of stroke and heart attack. Visceral fat may be linked to such health conditions because it's thought to be biologically active. This means it acts more like an endocrine organ or gland that produces hormones and other substances that may damage your health, according to Harvard Health Publications. Having too much visceral fat may throw off the functioning of hormones that help keep the body in balance.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338079-soft-belly-fat-vs-hard-belly-fat/#ixzz1Yzg2PdTg

Thanks for the link. My bowling ball is the last to go and it this rate in is going to be there a long time to come.