Nothing works!

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Closed diary. No details about what you're doing that's not working. There's really no way for us to tell what you may or may not need to do.

How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale? Some people go a few weeks without seeing a loss on the scale because of water weight from exercise, sodium, hormones, etc. which can mask any fat loss that's still going on. If it's been less than three weeks or so, there may not be anything to worry about.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

this is excellent info and I'll throw in

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I will be going back to the gym soon but even that doesn't help. Seems I lose weight faster when I don't work out. Weird, but true.

That isn't weird if you are eating back exercise calories? If so that simply means you haven;t burnt as many calories during exercise as you thought you were, which is very common.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I have been to doctor to do blood work, cause I'm no spring chicken ;) Haha! Thyroid was ok. My issues haven't returned...

Maybe it's more energetic and not physical issues. I do log everything. I just lowered my calorie intake so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Check and double check your food portions and the entries you use on fitness pal. "clean eating" is a vague term and can mean almost anything. There are plenty of good people who prefer organic and non processed foods and I see nothing wrong with that, but no matter how "clean" your diet is you will gain weight if at a calorie surplus.

Check, double check and recheck all of the entries you are basing your current measurements on, I can't say that enough. It may be that you are using some the wrong entries which are understating the calories or you might not be measuring properly. Anything that is solid should be weighed in grams, that includes peanut butter! You would be surprised about the difference in calories weighing vs. using a measuring cup on certain things.

Also if you are recording and eating back exercise calories you need to be careful about that. I personally do not record extra calories burnt in my day unless I am wearing my gym shorts and working my butt off. I personally do not include calories burnt from just walking around leisurely. If you use my fitness pal's estimate for anything, you might want to start cutting those in half. I personally like an elliptical that has a heart rate monitor, allows me to input age/weight and adjusts weight based on my target heart rate; I tend to trust the calorie burn estimate better with these types of elliptical.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    Yea. Some say to eat them back, some say not to. Either way, I don't lose. lol.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have been to doctor to do blood work, cause I'm no spring chicken ;) Haha! Thyroid was ok. My issues haven't returned...

Maybe it's more energetic and not physical issues. I do log everything. I just lowered my calorie intake so we'll see what happens.

Good luck+++ Keep up the hard work.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

I'm gonna try one more time.

just once more, then I'm dropping the mic and walking out.

it doesn't matter if you're logging... IF the logging isn't accurate.

If you aren't weighing your stuff, you aren't logging accurately... and if you're not logging accurately and you're not losing, then you're eating more than you think.

If you were to open your diary, we could help you. If not, then good luck and stuff.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You said you're measuring your food, but are you weighing it?

You're probably eating more than you think. Refer to previously linked threads. Lots of great and useful information.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I started this in 2011. I lost a lot of weight. Then I had some female complications which ended in surgery.

I gained some weight back, but nothing crazy. Now I'm just stuck here. In that time, I've logged almost every day. Now, I've been religious about logging for about 3 months and no change in weight. I measure what I eat.

I understand what is meant by eating clean. That's our goal in this home.

I will be going back to the gym soon but even that doesn't help. Seems I lose weight faster when I don't work out. Weird, but true.

You're factoring in the water weight gains that you can expect to see with a new exercise routine and giving any changes to your routine 3-4 weeks for your body to adjust before deciding whether or not it's working, right?
  • That_Girl
    Options
    I understood you the first time. Dang. lol. Thank you for your advice.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    I started this in 2011. I lost a lot of weight. Then I had some female complications which ended in surgery.

I gained some weight back, but nothing crazy. Now I'm just stuck here. In that time, I've logged almost every day. Now, I've been religious about logging for about 3 months and no change in weight. I measure what I eat.

You're factoring in the water weight gains that you can expect to see with a new exercise routine and giving any changes to your routine 3-4 weeks for your body to adjust before deciding whether or not it's working, right?

Yes.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    you still haven't answered. If you want help and ask a question, we need information to help you. you aren't giving that information back.
  • That_Girl
    Options

You're probably eating more than you think. Refer to previously linked threads. Lots of great and useful information.

So measure and weigh my tofu and veggies? I weigh my fish. I do not eat meat other than fish. I have perfect measuring cups that I use to figure out portion size.
  • trogalicious
    Options

So measure and weigh my tofu and veggies? I weigh my fish. I do not eat meat other than fish. I have perfect measuring cups that I use to figure out portion size.

and there's your issue.

you're eating more than you think.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    you still haven't answered. If you want help and ask a question, we need information to help you. you aren't giving that information back.

Haven't answered what? I have been replying. When people post here, it doesn't mean they are an idiot and have no idea about nutrition and how to lose weight. I have read and tried many things. I read your response and understood it. I measure and weigh food already.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    Yea? So my 1/2 cup of rice with veggies and 3oz of tofu isn't true?

I use small plates and bowls. lol.

It would be hard to overeat unless I piled the food on.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    is this for real?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Yes.

Great! You have to understand that we see a lot of posts here from people who try 14 different plans over the course of a month and wonder why none of them worked. You tend to err on the side of double-checking the obvious after a while.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You're not weighing all of your food. You only weigh your fish.

Yes, you are eating more than you think.

Doesn't matter what size plates or bowls you use. Measuring cups are inaccurate.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. It was nothing I hadn't already thought of, but thank you for your responses.

Is this for real? Yes it is. Rude much?