1200 cal is NOT enough

Options

Replies

• amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    More nutritional advice from the internet experts.

ncm4k.gif
    We're all experts here.

Imagine if we all started charging by the hour.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    While usually 1200 is too low for MOST people, its pretty obnoxious and ignorant to make a blanket statement that its not enough for anyone.

I know if I'm not lifting and its a pretty sedentary day, my TDEE is about 15-1600, and 1200 could easily be appropriate on those days for me to cut. I am smaller than most people and so it can work. 1200 is basically a floor minimum for anyone, but it IS on occasion a good goal for certain people.

Its a good thing that its for me to decide that for myself, and not the OPs job to decide for me.
  • latiinamh
    latiinamh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    based on who's goals? i know if i was atleast 100+ lbs. overweight i would not be try to lose 1lb a week because you said so...
    i use to eat that amount when i was 16 & losing weight. i wasn't starving either. not everyone's appetites are the same. i eventually stopped counting calories... only doing it now because i'm nursing a 3/mo baby.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I started at 246. For now, I do want to lose 2 pounds a week.

1200 calories is plenty for me, but not enough for you. My 1200 calories was based on my weight, (very obese, my age, and my fitness level)

Am I right that you are new at this? When I started(the first 2 weeks), I also thought 1200 wasn't enough. I now see because I came in to MFP eating way more than I needed, (I was gaining weight), it was a big change to go into a deficit that let me lose weight. I needed to get used to the program. When making a change, there is always an adjustment period where one gets their bearings set.

Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. If you need to eat a bit more, do so.

If I go hungry, I won't stick to the program mindlessly. I will eat more and will go over my daily set calories. I listen to my body and take care of myself, keeping mindful of the program and my goals.

So even for me, sometimes 1200 is not enough. I have plenty of days where I go over just because of whatever. I like having the plan because it makes my taking care of myself much more manageable. In fact, without the plan I don't lose weight (I need to badly), I gain weight.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    This is one of those moments that I wish time travel were possible... so that the OP's 40- or 50-something year old, post-menopausal self who has a sedentary 9-5 job can come back and whack her upside the head and say "WTH were you thinking?"

I thought I knew everything at 19 years old, too.

Sincerely,

A 45-year old, post-menopausal woman with a 9-5 desk job -- who managed to lose HEALTHFULLY at 1200 calories/day and has been successfully maintaining for 2.5 years at 1400 calories/day.

I already addressed this, I corrected myself and said it was healthy for someone in your circumstances.
    I am 52 and and have an office job, and no thank you, I never want to have to live like that.

Live like *what*, may I ask?

I get up early every morning for a good solid workout with kettlebell and/or cardio, still eat pretty much whatever the hell I want within my macros, and enjoy every bit of it. I just happen to *NET* fewer calories than the OP was insisting was bad for "anybody."

Once you have lived MY life with my exact circumstances/medical history/genetic makeup, THEN you can tell me how I can live. Deal?
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Is everyone eating back the calories burned while getting worked up over this post? Just sayin...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    My TDEE based on my BMR is 1765 based on the calculator I used. From what I've read, and it may be wrong, I should subtract between 500 and 1000 calories per day from that number to effectively lose weight. That puts me at 765-1265. For weight loss based on my BMR.
    No, you’re doing it wrong. BMR and TDEE aren’t the same thing. BMR is how many calories you burn at complete rest. TDEE is how many calories you burn per day(with activity). you’re supposed to subtract 500-1000 from your TDEE not your BMR.
    She's not doing it wrong, you're reading her post wrong.

A lot of your recommendations are just wrong, too. No one needs to recalc their deficit weekly or each time they lose a pound, or aim for 2% per month of losses.

The MFP plan AS IS is a valid plan. If people choose to follow some forum variation, that's their right. But no one needs to be saying the MFP plan is dangerous or that following it means dieters are misinformed and bound to regain.
  • RowanC522
    Options
    In
    tumblr_mty7tohlil1sj3oxho1_400.gif

Love it
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

As I previously discussed, the OP is correct. Recommendations such as 1,200 calories a day are based around the AVERAGE. YOU are not average due to your age, so what she said doesn’t apply to you.

Did you read the original post? Or just her backpedaling on the subject?
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

As I previously discussed, the OP is correct. Recommendations such as 1,200 calories a day are based around the AVERAGE. YOU are not average due to your age, so what she said doesn’t apply to you.

Actually, the moment the OP stated this: " 1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really) "…. is when it applied to everybody
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    duty_calls.png
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think we all need to find what works best for us as an individual ! I would love to eat more than 1200 per day and I'm sure I could and I would just lose much slower. I really don't want it to take the next year to lose my last 30, right or wrong I just don't! I will continue to play with my calories but find 1200 with lower carbs works best for me. At almost 52 years old I remember 19 well!!!! I could eat from sun up to sun down and stay at 118 pounds,enjoy OP!!!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Your post is both condescending and patronizing.

How about you do your own thing and let everyone else do theirs. Whether it's the right way or the wrong way, it's really got nothing to do with you. Everyone on here is a grown up.

+1. Don't fall off your high horse OP.
  • jayla137666
    jayla137666 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think so? Probably not, but I do what I can to manage being a poor overworked graduate student and exercising/eating right :(

Weekly weight loss is usually about 1 lb.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well, it's right for some people. As a very petite woman who works in an office, it's fine. I maintain at 1600. I lose at 1200.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I think so? Probably not, but I do what I can to manage being a poor overworked graduate student and exercising/eating right :(

Weekly weight loss is usually about 1 lb.
    Sounds like you're doing ok to me.
    1lb/week = 500 calories a day deficit. Which with 30lb to go doesn't seem unreasonable.

As you get closer to your goal, you may want to consider upping your calories a bit - as your body fat levels get lower your body will may not be so happy to let it go.
  • grace20072010
    Options
    I would like to know how you are taking into account an individual's metabolic rate (which can and is tested by doctors), whether they have any conditions such as PCOS or are on anti-depressants that cause weight gain, their height, their weight, their level of activity (sedentary, light, active, etc), and any other factor (and there are a lot) that contribute to weight gain. Oh, did you take into account those that have had weight loss surgery and have a stomach that cannot hold 1200 calories? I didn't see you mention that. When you have produced scientific evidence that is irrefutable that 1200 calories is not enough for any single person in the world to survive on, then I will buy your ridiculous statement. I would like cites to medical journals which shouldn't be a problem for you, as you are clearly an expert in medical physiology. I am assuming you have a PhD or an MD and can back your statement up with hard statistical facts.
This discussion has been closed.