breakfast ideas in the car

Options
my typical morning involves working out at 5 am then rushing over to work where I have no time to sit really (I'm a teacher) . I need something for breakfast I could eat in the car on the way from the gym to my work. Does anybody have any ideas?I don't just want to eat energy bars every day. Thank you!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    breakfast burritos
    bagel sandwiches
    egg mcmuffin
    yogurt parfait
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this issue myself, as a home care nurse a lot of my eating is done in the car...not to mention I also have limited bathroom availability so I have to be careful of my fluid intake :noway:

A few things I have done that are more mobile are pre-peeled and salted hard boiled eggs...although it CAN get a little messy I've pretty much mastered eating them out of a napkin. Of course there's always the smoothie/shake option...but I personally have a hard time thinking of a drink as a meal. I have also used the weight watcher breakfast burritos and sandwiches, I anticipate you could make them rather than buying the frozen ones...but who has time for that?!?

Okay, so in retrospect those are NOT fabulous suggestions...so I am definitely eager to hear what others have to say lol
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Make a mix in a ziplock bag of almonds and cereal.

There are many combinations: nuts, raisins, cranberries, chocolate chips, Cheerios, cornflakes, smarties, vector cereal, soy nuts, popcorn, shreddies, etc.

Or: - cheese strings and beef jerky and an apple.

Peanut butter sandwich.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I would cook oatmeal or any hot sammitch & wrap it up in foil then put it in a heat-saver type carrier & leave it in the car. Should be fine to eat after you've worked out. Hot cocoa made w/milk gives added protein too. Use a thermos. Or use a wide-mouth thermos for stews.
    I used to eat hot cereal out of the 4-cup type container every morning. Easy to hold or put in your lap. Another tip, I always left a kitchen-sized towel to spread over my lap while driving. Works better than napkins any day.
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Make a smoothie before you head to the gym. Put it in a thermal mug - should still be cold when you get out!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    String cheese and a banana.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how many batches of these I have made.... Always have in the freezer to pop in the microwave. The serving is for 2, but one fills me up..www.bettycrocker.com

Breakfast sausage muffins..

Ingredients

Sausage Mixture

3/4
    lb ground pork breakfast sausage
    medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
    can (4 oz) Green Giant™ mushroom pieces and stems, drained
    1/2
    teaspoon salt
    tablespoons chopped fresh sage
    cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)

Baking Mixture

1/2
    cup Original Bisquick™ mix

1/2
    cup milk

eggs

Directions
    1Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray

2In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Cool 5 minutes; stir in mushrooms, salt, sage and cheese.

3In medium bowl, stir baking mixture ingredients with whisk or fork until blended. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon baking mixture into each muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup sausage mixture. Spoon 1 tablespoon baking mixture onto sausage mixture in each muffin cup.

4Bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and tops of muffins are golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. With thin knife, loosen sides of pies from pan; remove from pan and place top sides up on cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer, and serve.

Nutrition Information
    Serving Size: 1 Serving (2 Mini Pies) Calories250 ( Calories from Fat160), Total Fat17g (Saturated Fat8g, Trans Fat1/2g ), Cholesterol105mg Sodium920mg Total Carbohydrate10g (Dietary Fiber1g Sugars3g ), Protein14g ; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A6%; Vitamin C0%; Calcium15%; Iron6%; Exchanges:1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:1/2 *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    my typical morning involves working out at 5 am then rushing over to work where I have no time to sit really (I'm a teacher) . I need something for breakfast I could eat in the car on the way from the gym to my work. Does anybody have any ideas?I don't just want to eat energy bars every day. Thank you!

Engine block hash.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Bagel
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I need something for breakfast I could eat in the car on the way from the gym to my work. Does anybody have any ideas?

Yes,,,,,,, How about concentrating on THE ROAD whilst you are driving.
  • Voww
    Voww Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I need something for breakfast I could eat in the car on the way from the gym to my work. Does anybody have any ideas?

Yes,,,,,,, How about concentrating on THE ROAD whilst you are driving.

This.
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    I make my own breakfast bars. 120g protein powder, 100g oat flour, 2t baking powder, 50g flaxseed meal, 4 beaten egg whites, 1c water and about 1-2t cinnamon. Mix & let sit 5-10 min, then pour into 9x12 nonstick pan and bake at 375 for 12-13 min. I cut it into 12 and they are ~100 cal each.

Mini crustless quiches are good too, like http://www.jennieo.com/recipes/573-Turkey-Sausage-Mini-Quiche
  • gromithere
    gromithere Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Grab a Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich maker (got mine on Amazon for $24). You can throw everything in and have it cooking 5 minutes while you are getting ready in the morning. Great on the go breakfast for around 200 calories.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've had this issue to. Needing to eat b-fast on bus or in car

I like doing cereal with nuts mixed in (in fact put in freezer day before because like my cereal cold)...you could mix in dried fruit too if you wanted?

Waffle sandwich (either PB and banana, or egg whites and veg)

English muffin with veggie sausage and cheese (laughing cow, etc)

Eggs whites in a tortilla wrap
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Oh and thanks for all your hard work teaching :)
  • _Risko_
    _Risko_ Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you have a Panera near by, I like the Power Breakfast sandwich. Ham, egg, cheese whole wheat pannini. 300-ish calories and really hits the spot. I usually get an OJ too and end up around 500 calories of breakfast.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher, too. I eat in the car every dang day. I make a modified Ski'bana - - I use a wrap (a small tortilla, 1/2 lavash, or something of the like), a banana, and 2 tbsp. of crunchy almond butter.
    Its speedy to make and it keeps me full for my whole morning. Oh, and it can be rolled up/wrapped in a napkin or foil so there is no spillage and no extra hands needed.

When I have a little more time, I will make a batch of scramble eggs, but instead of cooking them on stovetop, I cook them in foil lined muffin tins. They make little quiches/fritatas - you can embellish them with veggies, cheese, etc. Make them Sunday afternoon, cool them, then put them in a flat container in the freezer (I use an old cake Tupperware container that I don't put cake in anymore). You can grab one before you run to the gym and it'll be thawed by the end of your workout. Bring a flatbread or wrap and have an instant egg sandwich.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple with drive thru under 300 cal menu items. Jack in the box: Breakfast Jack or Mcdonalds: Sausage mcmuffin. Taco Cabana: Breakfast Taco (Just one, it's tempting to get more)
    *^All things you can make at home the night before, freeze, and pop in the microwave in the morning for 45 seconds and run off to work

If I grab from home it's usually a banana, a smoothie, a chocolate chip waffle, a glazed donut if I have the calories, blueberry muffins, power bars of any kind
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Prep your breakfasts the night before. Anything can be eaten in the car if you're talented enough. :wink: