How much money do you spend on groceries?

Options
shartran
shartran Posts: 304 Member
I am finding I spend quite a bit for just myself.
However, I think it's an investment to buy quality items in order to try and stay healthy.

I buy organic whenever I can and rarely buy too many 'already' made products - I make
meals/snacks (ie: soups, crackers, protein bars).

I don't eat meat - but will have fish

So...I spend around $100.00/week

So I am curious about other people's 'budget'. Please share.
Thanks!

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    About $200 every 2 weeks for 2 people. That doesn't include the produce my MIL buys me at Costco.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    About $100 per week for myself.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    We're a couple, we spend about 80$ a week. We don't buy organic because we can't afford it. Luckily for us, here fruits and vegetables are very cheap and they're about 80% of what we buy every week (we're vegan).

I think what helps a lot is we make so many of our food ourselves - bake our own bread, make lots of stuff from scratch. It takes time but saves a lot of money.
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    £100 a week ($168), for a family of 6 - includes food, alcohol, cleaning, personal hygiene, nappies etc.
  • alstroemerialover
    Options
    I spend close to $100/week for two people, but my spouse is only home half the time. I live 4 hours North of Toronto, Ontario in case prices vary.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    150 for 3 people.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    300 to 400 for three people. I don't buy very much premade except pasta and chicken broth.
  • Ehecatl915
    Options
    I eat clean and organic and it is more expensive. I spend probably close to 400 or 500 a month on food, I need to find a way to cut that down cause I can't afford it. Once the farmer's market comes back with the organic produce or I can successfully grow my own the amount will go down some.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I spend about $140 a week for two adults and two children.
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    £40 ($67.29) per week for 2 people. I plan out all of my meals ahead of time so we use everything each week.
  • kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    About $125/week for 2 adults. My fiancé eats a lot of processed food, and I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. So, I'm buying 2 different sets of food.
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Probably around $800 for a family of 3, but that includes everything we buy at the store.... diapers, wipes, bed and bath products etc. And it is 3 square meals a day for all 3 of us - we don't eat out as I prepare everything from scratch.
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    $100 every two weeks for one person.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I have $189 per month for food, and often don't spend it all, so maybe $40 per week average?
    I'll occasionally get a frozen pizza, and really like pan-fried Chinese dumplings (frozen), but don't get much processed food.

I've really increased the amount of produce I eat. Dinner the other night was 4 oz of ground beef, 2c mushrooms, 1c onion, 1c green beans, and 1c summer squash.

I eat animals, in moderation. Salmon is a favorite, though it's expensive so I might get it once a month instead of the once a week I'd prefer. Often I'll get a tube of frozen ground turkey.

I also hit the ding & dent bin first thing as I come in the store. Amazing deals for 99c on produce (and sometimes other items, like tofu or juice) that's not quite nice enough to sell at normal price, but still quite edible. I think I have 6 containers of tofu in the fridge now, some that come with flavored sauce and they're already cubed. Sounds like I should plan some stir frys.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I spend about $300 per month for me. I stock up on chicken breasts, seafood and beef from my local BJ's. Fruits and veggies from local produce stands. I buy very little processed food (approx $25 or less per month) primarily yogurt and cheese.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    About $50 a week for two (2) people
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would say around 140$ to 180$ a week for 2 adults and 2 teenagers.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    We spend about £100 ($170) a week, which includes cleaning products and loo rolls. We eat healthily, and don't buy lots of snacks or anything. There are 5 of us - 2 adults, a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 3 month old. Obviously the little one doesn't have any of the food!
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Probably $800 a month for two adults and two small children. We don't make any effort to save though. We just buy what we want.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I buy very little processed food (approx $25 or less per month) primarily yogurt and cheese.
    That's not what I'd consider processed.
    I think of frozen dinners, chef boyardee, la choy canned dinners.