How much money do you spend on groceries?

Replies

• btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    I spend average $40-50 wk for myself. I didn't go grocery shopping at all last wk and just used up some frozen meats and veggies so I think I spent $55 this wkend. I typically don't eat out either so that's all home cooked.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    For a family of 4, we spend about $250 per week or so on food.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    We spend about $100-$120 per week for 2 adults. That is including one takeout meal that we usually split.
    This does not include occassional purchases, like Protein Powder or Quest Bars.

We bring breakfast and lunch to work, and don't really have proper dinners during the week (I get home rather late from the gym and then have a little food- do most of my eating during the day)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I'd say about a $100 a week for myself and teenage daughter, (who incidentally eats just as much as when I had the teenage boy at home)!
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    About $75 a month for myself. I spend more on picking up supplies to make my boyfriend and I dinner random days during the week.

I'm pretty freakin cheap.
  • alison067
    alison067 Posts: 43 Member
    Too much.......most stuff is imported to our tiny island from Uk or Italy, and our distributors are greedy! I spend an average of 30-40 euros per day, so 210-280 per week. OMG just seeing that has shocked me lol (2 adults, kids 18,16 and 9 and 4 cats). I was sure I was being more tight then that.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    $150 every Friday.

Wife, 2 german shepherds, and myself.

We eat a lot of meat / chicken / pork so a good majority of $ goes towards that.
  • WisteriaLady
    WisteriaLady Posts: 28 Member
    We spend around £100 a week on groceries. However that includes washing tablets, toilet roll etc. We do go to a butchers for our meat as I feel its better quality than you get in supermarkets, I go once a month to the butchers and get about £30-£40 worth of meat. However I noticed last week and this week our grocery bill has come down since starting eating healthy. I take advantage of supermarkets fruit/veg offers and freeze them so they arent wasted.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    family of 4 here, two adults,two small kids. One cat, one large dog (great dane).

including all paper products/hygene/diapers/pet food- 100 per week.

I budget eating out as entertainment, and usually do it once a week. Birthday/holiday meals are also "entertainment"

However- I live rurally, with only access to ONE small grocery store. I have my youngest child enrolled in WIC, so that saves me 6.00 per month in produce, and 15.00 per week in milk/cereal/dry beans/juice.

Where I live, most families farm and have a private garden. I am constantly given bushels of free cucumbers/tomatoes/watermelon/sweetcorn in the summer. I have an apple tree adjacent to my home, and when the apples come up they are free to take.

If I lived in a densely populated urban area, with lots of convenience stores, and very few grocery stores, I believe this $100 per week amount would be grossly inadequate.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    I spend between 160-200 every week for 5 people and that includes most cleaning product and stuff
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    For a family of six which includes four kids (21, 18, 18 and 10), we do about $350 per week. Sucks....
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    $40-$60 a month for just me.

Staples:
    Bags of beans, lentils, and rice (~$2-$3 a bag)
    Tofu (~$1.00 a square)
    Cereal & Oatmeal (~$3-$4 a box)

Baking needs:
    Flour, baking soda, sugar, etc and make my own muffins, pancakes, flatbread, etc.

Fruits & Veggies:
    Whatever is on sale that week

More expensive items:
    Peanut butter
    Margarine
    Vegan cheese
    Almond milk
  • I spend about £100 a week for a family of five.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Around $200-250 per month for two people.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    added- I think the way we eat factors in here pretty heavily too. I have heard my diet is semi-vegetarian, because meat is not a big priority for me. (or my kids/hubby)

if we ate Paleo or something, we would have to spend more. I eat a low fat diet, heavy in vegetables, grains (whole or otherwise), fruit, and some dairy.x
  • Mocha02
    Mocha02 Posts: 96
    Tooo dang much
  • scthomas100
    scthomas100 Posts: 31 Member
    Between $40-$90 for two people. Some weeks are just produce and some meat to restock supplies, and other weeks I run out of everything at the same time. We try to eat organic for the dirty dozen list and for meat.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    For my boyfriend and me, I spend about $100/week on food, not counting alcohol, home supplies (like paper towels and dish soap) or toiletries. Sometimes, it goes over that, but if I want an expensive cut of fish or a fancy tropical fruit, I usually just buy it. I love to cook, so I don't care to scrimp much.

80% of our food comes from a CSA or the farmer's market or the local fish monger or butcher. I buy whatever looks good and is in season, mostly local, often organic.

August is the first month I'm going to try and stick to a $400/month budget. I'm not excited about it though. :)
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Average about $125.00 a week that includes dinners with my husband and his junk food. The majoring of it is mine though.
  • lately i've been spending $200 a week for a family of 5, and that includes diapers and hygiene products too. this does not include eating out though. my kids eat like adults and the baby goes through 4 gallons of milk a week (i get her organic and that's pricey at $6 a gallon, but that's what i was spending on raw milk that i can't get anymore).

i used to spend about $130-150 a week, but it's been steadily climbing the more veggies i buy.