How much money do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Wow - such various amounts.

Maybe everyone should include where they live too...

I live in Canada - major city center.

I think food, etc., is generally more expensive here than the states...but probably not more than Australian/New Zealand.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I live just outside of Phildelphia PA and spend about $250 a week for a family of 4. This does include the whole grocery bill with diapers, wipes, cleaning supplies, and personal care products.

We don't buy organic but we also don't buy much processed food (except the occasional box of fruit snacks for the kids). When possible, I try to find time to hit the local farmer's market as it tends to be less expensive and better quality.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK, in a major city.
    I spend on average £30 ($50) a week for all our groceries, there are 2 of us. We eat organic and eat meat too.
    I have 3 allotments to grow all the rest of our food. And I cook, bake, preserve and bargain hunt!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Way too much!

For a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 teenagers), if you include the cost of the CSA, we spend anywhere from $300 - $400. That includes paper goods and toiletries.

ETA: We live in the North Eastern USA
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I spend about $50-75 a week. I feel like it's a bit unfair to compare though, because I'm usually at my parents house about every other weekend, and I even get to take some left overs home from there. Plus, I do a lot of volenteer work with students, and I'm the only volenteer in our area who is young and living on my own, so after meetings or camps, I get to take all the left overs home. So especially now with dieting, where I eat very little, I get to eat a lot of my meals for free!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am finding I spend quite a bit for just myself.
    However, I think it's an investment to buy quality items in order to try and stay healthy.

I buy organic whenever I can and rarely buy too many 'already' made products - I make
    meals/snacks (ie: soups, crackers, protein bars).

I don't eat meat - but will have fish

So...I spend around $100.00/week

So I am curious about other people's 'budget'. Please share.
    Thanks!

I'm right about there but I literally cook every single meal and don't eat out. I also split my groceries between 3 spots since they are so incredibly expensive here.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    roughly $250/month for a family of 3 (including papergoods, bath stuff etc)
  • Cherijf
    Cherijf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband and I spend about $500.00 a month on food, but we watch sales and keep our freezer/pantry stocked. We shop 4 stores, and at 3 of them we purchase a $100.00 gift card at the beginning of each month which makes it easier to track. We need to cut back some!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    However, I think it's an investment to buy quality items in order to try and stay healthy.

I buy organic whenever I can and rarely buy too many 'already' made products - I make

Thanks!
    I don't eat meat, buy my vegetables wholesale, and prepare almost everything from scratch (no vegetarian meat substitutes except for a few--because they are expensive.) This week, because I've had a houseguest I've foregone some of my normal habits to accommodate them but I spend 140 a month (live by myself) on food. It lasts me a month. I live in Belmont Shore (coastal long beach) California
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    It's just me and two cats, but I still spend nearly 100.00. It depends on what I'm getting. I usually choose a Crock Pot recipe and get the ingredients, then eat on that for a week. Of course if I have to buy toiletries or cleaning supplies I'm spending a lot more.
  • kkay3182
    kkay3182 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    $120-180 a month at Samsclub...includes T.P. laundry supplies and other personal hygiene and household items also a 10lbs bag of chicken breast and frozen breakfast items (jimmy dean delights) for SO, and about $60 a week in grocery store for vegetables and other items I do not buy in bulk, like a bit of steak or salmon or pork chops and the ocassional treats! family of 2. I am in Miami FL
  • Partylikelizkeeler
    Partylikelizkeeler Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It ranges between $60 to $200 a week, and the food usually lasts about two weeks or so for two people.
  • JENNIENS
    JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I spend about $800 a month- $1000 but there is 7 of us... i have 5 kids that eat EVERYTHING in sight!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Not much. I'm pretty broke. about $100 a month. Organic sounds nice but who's got money for that? I'll buy egglands best eggs sometimes. Oh yeah, the cats. forgot about those.

I've been buying cheap stuff and I used crock pot last night with chicken legs, and lots of veggies.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    This thread and mint has made me realize I have a problem with money.

I spend about 2000 bucks a month on food and dining for myself and my girlfriend.

We eat out a lot.

I like steak.

And good beer.

I think I spent 50 bucks on a cheeseburger the other night.

Yeaaaaaaaa. :ohwell:
  • fclefguy
    fclefguy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For my wife and myself, we spend about 30-40 dollars a week. That added to the food we buy for my daughter ($15) and my son ($15) usually comes out to be around 65 dollars a week on average.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I forget that so many people consider HBA, personal care, cleaning supplies part of their grocery budget. Our $200-250 per month is for food only.

If including all of that other stuff along with our food budget, it would be more like $350/month for two people. Sometimes less, sometimes a little bit more if I've run out of several makeup/skincare items.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    We budget $200/week for a family of 5 but that also includes household goods and other misc. I'd say we're probably closer to $125-150/week for food. We eat a lot of produce, organic meat if possible, and we're still transitioning my son to GF/DF so I still splurge on 'specialty' foods for him till he gets used to giving them up entirely.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Thanks!

We spend about $180 per week. This includes food, non-perishables, stuff for the cat, diapers, etc. We have two little kids under 4 years old. Before kids with just my wife and I we were easily under $100 per week. But we went out to eat a lot more then too.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Uggh - about $375-$400 a WEEK (outside Philadelphia, PA). In addition to food, that includes toiletries, diapers, dog/cat food for a family of 2 adults, 1 kid, 1 infant, 2 cats, and a dog.
    We also go out to eat usually at least once a week, too. So if you add that in, about $500/week.