Discouraged in the Lulu store...

Options

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Lululemon is the Abercrombie of athletic wear.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is a size 12-14 and shops there all the time and has never been given a hard time, I'm jealous of all her Lululemon attire (me and my one pair of pants I was able to purchase with a gift card that she got me for Christmas, LOL). I think you just had a Pretty Woman moment and the sales person was being very rude. I would go online, order a bunch of stuff, put it all on, walk back in the store "Remember Me??? You work on commission right? Big Mistake, Big Mistake, I have to shop now". Not every sales person that works there is an *kitten*. Be proud of your size 8.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So here's an idea if you really want those Lulu clothes.

Pick out your things you want and call the store and have them hold them for you in size 8. They will ask your name and when you go in and they ask if you are shopping for someone, just ignore the question and tell them you have things on hold. Then once they are in your hand tell them you need to try them on first (if you feel you need to) and take it from there.

I've done this many times at many stores but usually when I'm in a rush and so I just grab them and go and if I need to return later I have the receipt if they don't fit.

In your case if you don't feel you need to try on b/c of already wearing your sis's pants just stick to the same cut to be more certain.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Finally, Lorna Jane makes really cute stuff and good quality if you care for it correctly.

Everytime I've gone into one of their stores they've treated me like a queen and have been extremely tactful in explaining how their sizes from another country compare to ours and run larger. They pull out tons of things for me to try on, even if I am direct that I only intend to buy one jacket and one pant. They are very generous and gracious to me when I go to my local one.

They have plenty of sizes and lenghts and cuts and I always find things that not only fit but are flattering as well.

They can see how big I am just looking at me and they never act weird.
  • bubble_dashhh
    Options
    Oh wow! I actually liked lulus but after reading this I will never shop there again. File a complaint because that was just nasty and rude.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    A similar thing happened to my ex-wife at a Levi's outlet store with a clerk being rude to her because of her size. She sent an email to their corporate office and they mailed her a letter of apology and a free pair of jeans.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    WTF? When did a size 8 become a larger size??

since forever- go to Express, NY and Company- ALL of their pants are smallest on top- so 0's down to 10's- they don't carry anything over an 8/10 out on the racks- and then 12's are in the back or in the drawers- larger sizes must be ordered on line.
    makes me bat *kitten* crazy.

That's weird because I ALWAYS find things at NY and Co... and I'm a 12/14... I don't usually go into Express just because they seem way too expensive (though I know you can get good deals there)...
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever heard about this company was a recall due to its poorly making of yoga pants.
  • jgpea
    jgpea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Did you know....that the Costco yoga pants are darn near the same? I think they are better quality as well.
  • jj_jupiter
    jj_jupiter Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find Lucy much easier to shop at if you're looking for overprices workout wear. I get most of my stuff from TJ Maxx (Nike, Adidas, etc) or eBay.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Oh! I had good luck at Mark's Work Wearhouse for exercise clothes, including yoga pants. They're good price and the fabric has pilled less than my Lululemon ones. Not *quite* as soft, but still very nice.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I didn't scroll through the other comments, so I don't know if anyone brought this up, but don't give them your business, and here's why:
    A while back the president of Lululemon, Chip Wilson made some off color remark about how some of their yoga pants were not made for larger women, and I'm not implying in any way you are, but it reminds me of the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch, who made some kind of comment about how he hates fat chicks--I'm paraphrasing--which is why they didn't sell anything larger than a 10; however, I think because their stocks plummeted that they recently started offering larger sizes. It turns me off when people are hateful and mean for no reason.
    Go to Target, their Champion brand washes and wears well and they're exponentially cheaper.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

For serious. I would never pay $80 for a pair of yoga pants. My intent is to sweat, a lot, and destroy these things with constant exercising...I go to Ross, Burlington, TJ Maxx, Marshals.....etc.

We don't have any of thoes stores lol and I'm not a huge fan of shopping online.

Do you have Lucy there? They have a more broad size selection (xxs-xxl) and the quality is amazing. I'm typing this while wearing a 6 year old pair of yoga pants, that gets worm + washed 2x a week. It's infinitely better than lulu. You just have to hunt for the trendy looking stuff.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    They are notorious for snubbing "bigger" girls, meaning anyone over a size 6. Like others said, I won''t patronize Lulumon myself even now that I could, having once been too big to fit into the sizes they offer and hearing about how they think anyone over a 10 is "plus size". Don't let the behavior of one sales clerk in a store discourage you - just remember - you put on a size 8 pant and it fit! I personally buy my workout clothes from Athleta. They aren't super cheap, but they've lasted and are high quality.
    This, yep.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Google "lululemon fat shaming" and you'll find this has been pretty much a corporate policy for them. Here's one page to look at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/lululemon-plus-size_n_3675605.html

I really, really, REALLY don't understand a retail establishment that decides to shun a portion of their likely customer base. It's not just idiot clothing places, consider Planet Fitness that discourages anyone who is "too healthy" from joining them.

Years ago, when I lived in NYC, a friend and I would put on our neat, business-like, but inexpensive, clothes and go window shopping in the better stores -- sometimes looking at things that cost more than a year's salary. Some stores were very nice to us and sometimes the clerk would say something nice like, "Want to try on this opal and diamond necklace? You might be rich some day." That happened at Buccellati. At Fortunoff's, a friend was admiring a citrine and diamond ring. When she told the clerk it was more than she made in a year, the clerk winked and said, "We have lay-away." La Belle Russie, on the other hand, followed us around like they expected us to be thieves, followed us around with a cloth in their hands to make sure we hadn't left finger prints on the cases, and audibly sighed when they followed us to the door. So, if I'm ever rich, where will I buy? It sure ain't La Belle Russie!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Did you know....that the Costco yoga pants are darn near the same? I think they are better quality as well.

This too. I have a costco workout jacket that is nearly an exact replica of the lulu one. It's adorable. Can't go wrong with costco. Their generic brand stuff is always as good/better than the competition. It's their company motto.

This is the jacket they copied by the way: http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/jackets-and-hoodies-jackets/Forme-Jacket-II?cc=14813&skuId=3544865&catId=jackets-and-hoodies-jackets

Plus it's like $20. woo
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    The CEO came out with a statement awhile back saying the clothes are made to fit "in shape" women or something like that. So yeah, they are known for being a holes! Don't get me wrong, good quality stuff...but freakin 80 bucks for a pair of pants! Go to target and you can buy like 4 pairs for that price :)
    Oh see someone already said it. . .
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    WTF? When did a size 8 become a larger size??

since forever- go to Express, NY and Company- ALL of their pants are smallest on top- so 0's down to 10's- they don't carry anything over an 8/10 out on the racks- and then 12's are in the back or in the drawers- larger sizes must be ordered on line.
    makes me bat *kitten* crazy.

See I've not had a problem with NY&C. I don't shop their often, but I snagged a ridiculously cute skirt in a 14 from the one at our mall. I've never shopped for pants there though.

I <3 NY&C pants because they're the only ones who seem to sell 0-4 in TALL in stores whereas other brands start at a 6 or 8.
    I agree too but I fear their corporate office won't care because you are "not their kind of people", by which I mean, not someone with a thigh-gap.

EXCUSE YOU?!
    Are you freaking kidding me?!
    Body shame much.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a thigh gap. Lots of women naturally have them - whether they fit into Lulu's clothes or not.
    At a size 2 and NO thigh gap, I can also fit into Lulu clothes (but I haven't tried because I'm cheap and I like my Old Navy gear).

I don't think that she was saying that there is anything wrong with a thigh gap, but made the comment based on the controversial statement from one of their founders. Back in November Chip Wilson said that their pants were not made for all women's bodies, specifically those who's thighs rub together.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lululemon-founder-chip-wilson-blames-womens-bodies-yoga/story?id=20815278

Holy crap what an ignorant, asinine comment. Thigh gaps are based off hip structure. Even when I was overweight I had one.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The fact that Lululemon has always been an overpriced cult has always been a big turn off to me, and Chip Wilson's comments just solidified my decision to never wear their logo.

Costco is where I pick up most of my athletic wear. I've also gone to Sport Check to try on sizes of various Under Armour items and other brands to know what fits and then ordered online from the US at a discount.