Discouraged in the Lulu store...

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The CEO came out with a statement awhile back saying the clothes are made to fit "in shape" women or something like that. So yeah, they are known for being a holes! Don't get me wrong, good quality stuff...but freakin 80 bucks for a pair of pants! Go to target and you can buy like 4 pairs for that price :)
    Oh see someone already said it. . .

I find that wildly amusing considering I could never reasonably wear those clothes- my butt is something like 40" or so and my waist is blow 30. The would fall right off me or pop a seam.

And I consider myself reasonably "in shape"
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    WTF? When did a size 8 become a larger size??

since forever- go to Express, NY and Company- ALL of their pants are smallest on top- so 0's down to 10's- they don't carry anything over an 8/10 out on the racks- and then 12's are in the back or in the drawers- larger sizes must be ordered on line.
    makes me bat *kitten* crazy.

See I've not had a problem with NY&C. I don't shop their often, but I snagged a ridiculously cute skirt in a 14 from the one at our mall. I've never shopped for pants there though.

There used to be one Anne Taylor in town that went up to size 16, but they closed. Now it only goes up to 12. Which is fine, I guess, but I'm 5'9" and look unhealthy in anything under a size 8, which doesn't give me a large weight range to shop in.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So here's an idea if you really want those Lulu clothes.

Pick out your things you want and call the store and have them hold them for you in size 8. They will ask your name and when you go in and they ask if you are shopping for someone, just ignore the question and tell them you have things on hold. Then once they are in your hand tell them you need to try them on first (if you feel you need to) and take it from there.

I've done this many times at many stores but usually when I'm in a rush and so I just grab them and go and if I need to return later I have the receipt if they don't fit.

In your case if you don't feel you need to try on b/c of already wearing your sis's pants just stick to the same cut to be more certain.

Or order it online and return it to the store. A lot of time the store takes a hit for the return.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    That is very bizarre behavior for a manager of a store.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    At least many of you have a choice. Where I'm at there aren't that many super obese people, so the whole size range caters to slim and medium-sized people in general. And of course I'd have to drop half the overweight before I can even fit into the athletic wear for sale here. Isn't the point that you exercise to become even healthier...
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options

since forever- go to Express, NY and Company- ALL of their pants are smallest on top- so 0's down to 10's- they don't carry anything over an 8/10 out on the racks- and then 12's are in the back or in the drawers- larger sizes must be ordered on line.

See I've not had a problem with NY&C. I don't shop their often, but I snagged a ridiculously cute skirt in a 14 from the one at our mall. I've never shopped for pants there though.

Same experience here - I teach, and probably 90% of my teaching wardrobe is from NY&Co. I am a 6/8 there now, but I routinely see sizes 12-16 on the shelves in both of their stores near me.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wait... you weigh 238 lbs and wear a size 8?

I don't mean at all to be rude but given their known stance on who their clothes are for, I could at least imagine the clerks initial comments.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

I don't mean at all to be rude but given their known stance on who their clothes are for, I could at least imagine the clerks initial comments.

I'm not attempting to shame the OP in any way with this but this seems a bit suspicious. Something seemed off about this tale and I believe this is it.

It's still not right that the OP was treated this way but this does more than a little in the way of explaining things.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I agree, call the corporate office and complain.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I'm not attempting to shame the OP in any way with this but this seems a bit suspicious. Something seemed off about this tale and I believe this is it.

It's still not right that the OP was treated this way but this does more than a little in the way of explaining things.

Yeah, I agree.

And if it makes you feel any better I often get told that a store does not carry sizes small enough for me (regular, mainstream, not plus sized stores). Even at lulu they tell me that their size 2 will probably fit me, but for some things they only go down to a 4, and that will be too big for me. I like lulu sweaters and jackets, they are the only ones I can find small enough in my waist.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

You know...I'm barely down to a size 8 pant. My waist is 28 but my butt is still about a size 10, and honestly...size 8 isn't SMALL ya know? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a size 8 but I still don't consider it small, maybe not a "larger" size either but...medium :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it :ohwell:

I'm 47 lbs lighter than OP and wear a size 14 so 238 lbs and a size 8 doesn't make sense to me.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My mall recently just opened up a Lululemon store.. my sister let me borrow her pair pants and they're only size 8 and they fit me I was so surprised and happy so much so I decided to go get myself a pair.. I was online looking at different styles and colors I was so excited to go get myself splurge pair of lulu pants. I got the mall and walk in and soon as I did the lady working at the counter walked over to me and asked me if I was looking to shop for somebody and I replied with yes myself.. Did she continued with we don't have many of the bigger sizes in stock I was shocked and said excuse me? She walked over to manager and told her I was being rude and I was asked to leave the store... I've never been so insulted in my entire life or embarrassed for that matter... Just wondering if anyone else has ever had the same problem, or a similar story?

I went in one time and will never go back! Sales woman came over and asked me the same thing! Was I shopping for someone else and that their sizes run small. I was flabbergasted! My husband was just plain pissed! I left went to athletica and bought a bunch of stuff. They were so nice and friendly! Now I stop in that store regularly. I love Thier clothes and will never ever walk in a lulumon store again. Lulumon will probably be out of business in less than 5 years. Mark my words!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

I <3 NY&C pants because they're the only ones who seem to sell 0-4 in TALL in stores whereas other brands start at a 6 or 8.
    I agree too but I fear their corporate office won't care because you are "not their kind of people", by which I mean, not someone with a thigh-gap.

EXCUSE YOU?!
    Are you freaking kidding me?!
    Body shame much.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a thigh gap. Lots of women naturally have them - whether they fit into Lulu's clothes or not.
    At a size 2 and NO thigh gap, I can also fit into Lulu clothes (but I haven't tried because I'm cheap and I like my Old Navy gear).

This comment about "thigh gap" was a reference to a comment the recently-resigned founder and CEO of Lululemon made about his clothes pilling along the inner thigh--blaming this on his customers having the wrong kind of body, not on his company's decision to use cheap fabric.

As far as I'm concerned, "thigh gap" is a concept developed by marketers to create yet another insecurity for women so we'll buy more garbage "beauty aids" to fix a "problem" that they made up in their own heads to inflict on us.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I once walked into a story looking for a winter coat. My friend was with me (she was smaller than me at the time). The cashier came over and asked if he could help and I said I was looking for a winter coat and he said "Oh... Hmm, we don't carry YOUR size". I was not even very big at the time, maybe 160 lbs and the coat I did buy (in a different store) was a size medium. Some people are a-holes....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Went to lululemon to get some shorts this week.

Was completely ignored until my wife sent someone to help me.

Awesome shorts. It's like two soft hands holding my wedding tackle. That's all I have to add.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Did you know....that the Costco yoga pants are darn near the same? I think they are better quality as well.

Truth.
  • RunningMyPugandPapi
    RunningMyPugandPapi Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Just as a point of reference I wear a size 10 at Lulu and am 165/5'4". I have their "tata tamer" bra (LOVE - holds the DDs steady while running without squishing them down) and two pairs of running pants (I really love that their pants have side pockets on the thighs (convenient for Ipod) and an inner drawstring (I'm somewhat apple shaped, things tend to work their way off my waist)).

I have heard that locations differ with regards to *****iness to bigger people, but mine has always been nice to me. However, even if OP was clearly too big for the clothes there, they also carry yoga supplies, headbands, workout socks, accessories, bags, etc. There is no excuse for treating her poorly based on her size.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm sorry but I would have flipped out on that ***** and her manager too. The whole mall would have known and they would have had to call security.
    I can definitely say I will NEVER patronize their business. I can't imagine talking to one of my patients that way. Horrible customer service!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are just being too sensitive.