Stop Buying Bottled Water

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
Is there a bigger waste of money than paying for bottled water? We spend about 800 times more for bottled water than plain old tap water. And if you don't like the taste of tap water, buy a filter -- it's still cheaper than the bottled variety.

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I buy it for when we are camping.

At home, work, etc., I drink from the tap.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    While I would typically agree with you... No... there are just some places that don't have as good of water as my city does.... You know, like Toledo... I wouldn't recommend the tap water there at the moment...
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    just break.......oh.....nevermind \m/
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I drink tap or filtered water, but I it's recommend that you have 2-3 days supply of bottled water in your house for emergencies.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    In Asia we have "tanks" at home where you store water since the government releases water periodically. A friend of mine found out his tank had a dead cat in it and had been there for about a week at least.

No thanks. I even cook my food with bottled water. And I am being 100% serious.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Yep. No bottled water. Screw convenience.

In fact, we should all go back to subsistence farming too. Same reasons. Things were much better for the human race then!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I brought a "Pure" system. I keep in my fridge and still re-fill with tap water about twice a day. Filters the tap water; tastes so much better. I brought a big one for around $27.00 with one filter. Filter's are supposed to last 3 months. Previously was buying too much water. Spending $7-10 per/wk on bottled water. <<< That was before I started drinking water. I usually drink around 96oz a day now.
    My son even said one day the spaghetti I made probably would taste better if cooked in the pure water. LOL
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean and it's also a pain to lug around in the grocery bag. But I've found filtered tap water just doesn't taste as good as bottled water. Nothing compares, unfortunately, so I spend the money on it :(

You need a reverse osmosis filter. It tastes the same, if not better, than bottled water.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Since most bottled water is tap water, it's pretty crazy that this even has to be said. But..well...people.

Most bottled water is "filtered" tap water. It is not run straight from the garden hose into the bottles. They filter it first. Somoe bottled "Spring Water" is not actually filtered though....it is bottled just as it comes out of the earth.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Since most bottled water is tap water, it's pretty crazy that this even has to be said. But..well...people.

QFT

Bottled water is a convenience for traveling, if water is shut off (especially handy to keep on hand if you are in a hurricane or earthquake prone area), and several other situations, but buying the little bottles for your everyday drinking just seems like such an inconvenience and an incredible waste of both money and resources. If you have reason to be wary of your tap water, buy refillable gallons or those big 5 gallon bottles that you can exchange. You don't need a fancy dispenser, just get a hand pump that costs about $15.

My tap water tastes terrible so I use a Pur pitcher and it works great. I also use a Sodastream for my fizzy water and occasional soda. I hate having to haul bottles and cans up two flights of stairs and the empties down 2 flights to the recycling dumpster.

ps: I know what it is like to not trust the tap water. I lived in Milwaukee during the cryptosporidium outbreak. Now, the whole metro area has some of the safest water in the country.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    easily transported......for work =)

So is a Camelbak or Nalgene bottle filled with your own tap or filtered tap water.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I know what you mean and it's also a pain to lug around in the grocery bag. But I've found filtered tap water just doesn't taste as good as bottled water. Nothing compares, unfortunately, so I spend the money on it :(

You need a reverse osmosis filter. It tastes the same, if not better, than bottled water.

Do you know where I could buy one?

Check your big box home improvement stores. If you can't find one there, look into some of the Aquarium supply places like Drs. Foster and Smith or local ones if you have them.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    It's only $0.25/gallon in Norman, if you re-fill, so yes there is an expense, but I can assure you it's less than the cost of a nice imported beer monthly.

:drinker:
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Yup... My parents had a reverse osmosis filter for their well water... it tasted pretty good.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    In Asia we have "tanks" at home where you store water since the government releases water periodically. A friend of mine found out his tank had a dead cat in it and had been there for about a week at least.

No thanks. I even cook my food with bottled water. And I am being 100% serious.

It's definitely a different story in Asia! When I'm traveling to those countries, I drink bottled water. At home in the U.S., i refuse to buy bottled water unless it's an emergency. I fill mason jars with filtered water when I'm camping or on a road trip or even just visiting people. They think I'm drinking moonshine. :wink:

Everyone should watch the documentary 'Tapped'. on Netflix. It talks about how Nestle steals the water from communities and pollutes their clean air and water to the point where they have tumors. All for profit. 'Merica.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You're not the boss of me !!! :grumble: :
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Most bottled water is "filtered" tap water. It is not run straight from the garden hose into the bottles. They filter it first. Somoe bottled "Spring Water" is not actually filtered though....it is bottled just as it comes out of the earth.

Tap water is already filtered.

Yup... Our water treatment plant runs the water through an O3 filter. It is constantly ranked the best tasting tap water in the state... A lot of time what people are tasting is what comes from their pipes.