Stop Buying Bottled Water

Options

Replies

• arawks
    arawks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested in this topic should watch Penn & Teller's Bullsh!t show about bottled water (some of it is on YouTube). On a related note, I avoid bottled water like the plague, mostly because of the cost, but also because it isn't held to the high standards most tap water is. Also, all those bottles are a huge waste. I just keep a jug of unfiltered tap water in my fridge, it tastes great.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Well, I prefer it to my well water, which leeches cyanide from the granite surrounding it....
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You're not the boss of me !!! :grumble: :

^^ This... LOL!

Sorry, I buy it and refill the bottles with filtered water. Nothing like the convenience of grabbing a bottle of cold filtered tap water, from the fridge. Not to mention, when you want to add a flavor packet, so much easier and better to shake a bottle than try to stir the mix in a cup... After many uses only then do I recycle the bottle. Yes, I recycle! So much better than using paper or plastic cups!

Bottled water may not work for you... but it is a must have for emergencies (like fire season in Southern California) and nothing better for my lifestyle!
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Is there a bigger waste of money than paying for bottled water? We spend about 800 times more for bottled water than plain old tap water. And if you don't like the taste of tap water, buy a filter -- it's still cheaper than the bottled variety.

But, but , but, wasting money on bottled water makes me feel better about how much I shell out for gas.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I buy it and will continue to do so if for no other reason than the convenience.
    I go through about 1 case a week, sometimes a bit more and at $4.00 a case it really isn't a big deal.

if you're worried about wasting money how about those stogies that you're smoking, talk about burning through $$$! :bigsmile:
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean and it's also a pain to lug around in the grocery bag. But I've found filtered tap water just doesn't taste as good as bottled water. Nothing compares, unfortunately, so I spend the money on it :(

You need a reverse osmosis filter. It tastes the same, if not better, than bottled water.

Do you know where I could buy one?

You can get it online. They're somewhat expensive though.

If you want to go with something more known, this is the best selling RO filter on Amazon and it's a 5-stage filter: http://www.amazon.com/iSpring-5-Stage-Reverse-Osmosis-Filter/dp/B003XELTTG/ref=zg_bs_13397611_2

Personally I am going to be buying this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-STAGE-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER-SYSTEM-REMINERALIZATION-PH-MINERAL-FILTER-/200810327243?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item2ec13a6ccb

It's a 6-stage filter and the company seems to have pretty good reviews from what I can see on ebay and a google search.. so I'm going to give it a shot.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    i follow the dog plan and just get on my hands and knees and lick the toilet bowl.
  • Jimmy_Rhythm
    Jimmy_Rhythm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink bottled water just because people tell me not to. I'm a rebel that way.
  • smokinkudzu
    smokinkudzu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i personally don't buy bottled water except from sporting event concessionaires. when i was deployed in the Army, bottled water is everywhere, but not directly paid for by me to use
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Is there a bigger waste of money than paying for bottled water? We spend about 800 times more for bottled water than plain old tap water. And if you don't like the taste of tap water, buy a filter -- it's still cheaper than the bottled variety.

I live in a city who has very nasty tasting hard water. Seriously, once a season I have to take pool acid to my sinks to get the calcium deposits off it. You pour the water over ice, you can see calcium start to settle in the bottom of your glass. I also live an apartment where I can't install a fancy filter. Brita doesn't even come close to getting the calcium out. So I buy bottled water and it absolutely is not a wate of money in my situation.

Now I do go to Wal-Mart and buy gallon jugs of water for 88 cents a piece, so I don't get fancy stuff. But yes it's an 88 cents that's VERY well spent
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In Asia we have "tanks" at home where you store water since the government releases water periodically. A friend of mine found out his tank had a dead cat in it and had been there for about a week at least.

No thanks. I even cook my food with bottled water. And I am being 100% serious.

It's definitely a different story in Asia! When I'm traveling to those countries, I drink bottled water. At home in the U.S., i refuse to buy bottled water unless it's an emergency. I fill mason jars with filtered water when I'm camping or on a road trip or even just visiting people. They think I'm drinking moonshine. :wink:

Everyone should watch the documentary 'Tapped'. on Netflix. It talks about how Nestle steals the water from communities and pollutes their clean air and water to the point where they have tumors. All for profit. 'Merica.

sounds legit

Also, um, Nestle is headquartered in Switzerland. It is traded in the U.S. but only as ADRs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    When my tap water starts tasting as good as Fiji water, I will stop buying bottle water. I do use a Brita filtered tap water for cooking, the cat, and anything where water is being mixed with something though.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't buy it (often), but sometimes it's a nessesity. I typically only buy if we're on a long road trip and not able to fill up often. I drink a gallon and a half of water a day (if I'm sitting longer periods of time like on those roadtrips) I cut back to a gallon.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    i dont buy it
    plus the bottles go in the landfill
    unless you recycle them
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I just got back from Portland, OR, and good lord -- you people have the best tasting tap water I've ever had! Step your game up, Houston...
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Yes sir!!!
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I buy bottled water once a month so I have something to put my tap water in...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i like the fiji bottles.

pretty picture. cool shape.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    In Asia we have "tanks" at home where you store water since the government releases water periodically. A friend of mine found out his tank had a dead cat in it and had been there for about a week at least.

No thanks. I even cook my food with bottled water. And I am being 100% serious.

It's definitely a different story in Asia! When I'm traveling to those countries, I drink bottled water. At home in the U.S., i refuse to buy bottled water unless it's an emergency. I fill mason jars with filtered water when I'm camping or on a road trip or even just visiting people. They think I'm drinking moonshine. :wink:

Everyone should watch the documentary 'Tapped'. on Netflix. It talks about how Nestle steals the water from communities and pollutes their clean air and water to the point where they have tumors. All for profit. 'Merica.

I'm pretty sure that water gets stored in similar water towers in US and since there are cats in 'Murica, I think i'll pass on tap water. While true, some cities take good care of water in US, some might not. If you live in a city where you are absolutely sure about its purification process, drink up. Else, bottle water it while in restaurants and such.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Tap is perfectly fine in my opinion.
    66346-Brent-Rambo-chimp-peeing-gif-m-w1ES.gif