I'm confused about coffee

Options

Replies

• ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I normally drink coffee daily (except I"m pregnant and it makes me barf now). Some days I would have a couple cups...other days I would get distracted a have half a cup. Because I varied my consumption from day to day (and never let myself consume more than four cups MAX) my body never had any ill effects. It kept me regular and helped with water weight. It also helped with controlling my appetite. Some people can't drink it, though. If my husband doesn't keep ahold of his consumption he gets bad anxiety and can't get a woody, lol. But overall it isn't a problem. :wink:
  • Diva_79
    Diva_79 Posts: 66
    Options
    Coffee is very addictive. My bare minimum is 2 cups in the morning and another cup at night after work. Any less than that and I get so tired I can't stay awake and I get severe migraines. The first time I ever got one of the migraines they were going to put me in the hospital because the doctors thought I had a brain tumor. I had been 3 days without coffee (first day I just didn't have a cup, after that I was too sick). The day I was supposed to go in I felt a little better so I had a cup of coffee. Within minutes the migraine was gone.

I do love my coffee though so even without the migraines there's no way I'd give it up.

I got really bad headaches for about 3 days last week when I stopped drinking coffee...
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Coffee is very addictive. My bare minimum is 2 cups in the morning and another cup at night after work. Any less than that and I get so tired I can't stay awake and I get severe migraines. The first time I ever got one of the migraines they were going to put me in the hospital because the doctors thought I had a brain tumor. I had been 3 days without coffee (first day I just didn't have a cup, after that I was too sick). The day I was supposed to go in I felt a little better so I had a cup of coffee. Within minutes the migraine was gone.

I do love my coffee though so even without the migraines there's no way I'd give it up.

I also went a day or two without coffee once (not on purpose) and got a huge headache. I love my coffee, it isn't causing me any health issues, and it is a source of comfort for me in the mornings - better that than cake, right? So I know I am not quitting, but that is only because it isn't making me feel anxious (unless I have like 3 cups).
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Everyone eats or drinks something that is labeled "NOT GOOD" Mine is coffee, I drink almost a pot a day...black. I don't have bad breath. Yes my teeth are a little stained, but I'll take the coffee over soda or juices any day. As for weight lose, since I drink it black it is less than 12 cals a cup. About 10 cups a day, 120 cals I can handle that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For anyone thinking of switching to decaf........

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/10/061012185602.htm

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/article/decaf-healthy-choice

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/25/caffeine-facts_n_3814825.html

I don't think any reasonable person would dispute the idea that caffeine is addictive but it is probably one of the more innocuous compounds out there consumed in moderation (this coming from someone who regularly drank 10 cups a day - now it's 3 or less....)
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    the truth is that it's delicious and keeps me from being stabby in the morning.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW!!! I agree 100%!

Drinking mine right now!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Coffee is something to enjoy, but caffeine is addictive for sure.
    I've detoxed from caffeine 2 or more times, each time I had a headache and fatigue. It took a week to recover.
    Now I only drink it sometimes, and really enjoy it!!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Coffee can act as a natural diaretic, and people who are really suseptible can have laxative type effects with it, which might be why you're a little constipated now. It can also help with muscle soreness and other pain (like menstrual).
    Unless you have a real reason to cut coffee, there's no need to, so long as, like everything else, you're drinking it in moderation.
    Personally, I'm a tea girl, however my tea has more caffeine than your coffee haha
  • Diva_79
    Options
    Coffee is something to enjoy, but caffeine is addictive for sure.
    I've detoxed from caffeine 2 or more times, each time I had a headache and fatigue. It took a week to recover.
    Now I only drink it sometimes, and really enjoy it!!

It's been a little over a week now and I'm hoping my energy levels will improve. I might try having one here and there but that scares me a little... that's how I got back to full time smoking again, I was only having one here and there and then BANG! I was back to smoking daily... i've had the same problem with coffee. I guess that just means I have addictive tendencies ;)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Dude, coffee is the one thing in my life about which I have no confusion.

1. It's delicious
    2. It gives me energy
    3. Yum yum yum.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If the worst thing I do is consume too much coffee I'm perfectly fine with that.

I drink lots of coffee
    I love the taste
    It helps me not hurt the stupid people I work with
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It's gross. What else do you need to know?
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to stay away from caffeine because I have a neurological condition with lots of twitches and cramps and caffeine and sugar makes it worse. I do feel a lot better without coffee and I feel that it does trigger symptoms for me.
    In my opinion it's highly addictive (for me, at least) and I shouldn't go near it... :tongue:
  • Diva_79
    Options
    Dude, coffee is the one thing in my life about which I have no confusion.

1. It's delicious
    2. It gives me energy
    3. Yum yum yum.

*like*
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    It helps me poop.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    coffee every day, regardless, ive cut back lately to about 4 cups, down from 12... but i doubt i will ever quit.
  • SuzieMae78
    SuzieMae78 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to be a empty calorie drinker anyway you put it. Coffee I was adding creamers...Now I do allow myself 1-2 cups of coffee at work, but I got used to drinking it black. There is nothing wrong with having it in moderation, it is just what people are adding to it.

Good luck!
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It's hard to maintain weight and stay fit in prison. Plus I'd prefer not to kill people anyway. I'll stick with my coffee. The world is a safer place. :drinker:
  • SammyD
    SammyD Posts: 50
    Options
    You know, anything in moderation.

Coffee itself isn't bad for you, and recent studies (god I sound like an infomercial lol) have shown that it has some decent benefits, including lowering your risk for diabetes and heart disease if you drink around 4 cups a day. I just heard that on the news last week and told my hubby, who is a huge coffee drinker.

It's the definitely the caffeine that can be bad if you drink too much, so subbing out a cup or two for green tea or decaf, or maybe doing half decaf/ half regular in each cup would be good. I've cut way back because for me it was the cream and sugar that was doing me in - I like a side of coffee with my cream :p

But now I do a cup of good coffee with 8 oz of almond milk and a packet of Stevia - it's only 65 calories and it's delicious. I really try to limit myself to that and I've found myself having better luck losing weight and I just feel better this way :)
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what there is to be confused about.

If you like coffee drink it.

If you don't like coffee don't drink it.

If you are worried it's addictive and avoiding it because you believe every Dr Oz article written on the stuff... I really hope I never come across you before I am caffeinated.