What do we all agree on?

Options
As I'm sure we all know there are numerous different "diets" or "healthy eating" out there...
But is there something we can all agree on from every aspect?
Can you tell me what you may think is something everyone should do and what "diet" you are on?

I'll start
Water and lots of it
I don't have a healthy diet YET

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Already I don't even agree on the water one. Sorry. :laugh:
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water thing. It keeps me full when I'm bored but I think I'm hungry.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Everyone must find a 'system' that they can follow long term. Which is why fad diets fail. And why the specifics are different for each person.

For me, its setting goals for activity and making it happen. And making choices about food (no mindless eating) and thinking of food in terms of nutrition to be sure my body gets what it needs. Overall I guess I'd fall into IIFYM except I don't worry about all the macros. I concentrate on my problem areas: protein, fruits, veggies and trust the rest will fall into place.

Last but not least, being honest about my logging - and knowing that the days I estimate may very well be days I eat at maintenance even if I aim for a deficit. And being ok with that.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    There are very few things that are right for everyone. Really the one universal truth of losing weight is a caloric deficit. If you don't eat fewer calories then you burn in a day, weight loss won't happen. This is a unchangeable law of physics.

I would say MOST people should:

get in AT LEAST 2-3 servings of fruit, and 3-4 servings of vegetables daily.
    eat mostly minimally processed whole foods while working in foods they enjoy that are not whole foods in moderation
    do some form of physical activity as many days a week as is possible

Aside from that, everything else is pretty individual. I can even think of exceptions to the 3 things I posted. Really the one and only thing that anyone and everyone who wants to lose weight absolutely must do is eat less then they burn in a day.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Do we all agree that losing weight for health reasons is a good idea?
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing that is important for EVERYONE is to get enough sleep. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and there are some quacks who don't even believe that is needed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Trouble maker :tongue:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: What do we all agree on?

The Dallas Cowboys will not make the playoffs this year.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You're not going to find anything, OP. There are people here who don't believe in CICO, and that's the most basic element I can think of.
  • rmt5580
    rmt5580 Posts: 9
    Options
    Include plant based foods and exercise
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Something everyone should do is cut down on processed foods!
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Really the only thing I totally agree with everyone on here is this.... CALORIE DEFICIT. Everything else is up for debate. Lots of people have a lot of different reasons for losing weight. Lots of people have opinions on how much exercise and what types of exercise. What foods and macros... Lots of water... definitely no soda even if diet soda... etc etc etc...

In reality, none of that matters. The only thing that REALLY matters is caloric deficit.

Mark
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Agreed.

And neither will the Bengals.

Again.
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    eat organic apples and berries

exercise regularly
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Agreed.

And neither will the Bengals.

Again.

See I knew we could find common ground.

And I say this as the fan of a team that hasn't made the playoffs this century...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Something everyone should do is cut down on processed foods!

tumblr_mf1nfbxN9C1rxa4z0.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less than you burn to lose weight.

Activity is necessary for good health.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Me too, enough water or other liquids/foods containing water is by definition enough, there's no reason to blindly go for water let alone "lot's of it".
    Water also isn't always safe everywhere in which case beer is by far the better option.
    Cheers. :drinker:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You're not going to find anything, OP. There are people here who don't believe in CICO, and that's the most basic element I can think of.

^^ This is exactly what I was thinking.