Stop Buying Bottled Water

Options

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I have a Brita because I hate carrying water bottles.
  • APLAWING
    APLAWING Posts: 36
    Options
    In Asia we have "tanks" at home where you store water since the government releases water periodically. A friend of mine found out his tank had a dead cat in it and had been there for about a week at least.

No thanks. I even cook my food with bottled water. And I am being 100% serious.

OMG ... NASTY!!!! I wouldn't even want to bathe in that water. How on earth did it get in there :/ ?
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I lived in NJ, I always drank tap water, but here in Altanta, the water has an awful taste!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I am an advocate for reduce, reuse, and recycle! So I have a wide mouth water bottle that is permanently attached to my hand.
    In fact, I may require surgery to remove it, since I am almost exclusive with water as my beverage of choice.
  • eggcluck
    eggcluck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So where I am. The water is filled with heavy metals, bacteria and particulates that is leached in from poor quality water works but by the lowest bidder with unskilled labor. Not to mentioned that usual it comes from polluted sources.

The water filters are also ineffective as they are most often imported and thus not designed to be effective with the local situation, most common are the Japanese filters and they do not remove the heavy metals or bacteria.

I will stick with my bottled water thanks....and even that cant be trusted. There are also many droughts, I would like to keep my water stockpile thanks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's about the natural springs that don't feed into rivers because the water is being removed before it gets that far.

Where do you think tap water comes from?
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have arsenic in my well and my water is not suitable to drink. Drilling a new well may result in a higher arsenic concentration, as it is naturally occurring and quite common in Maine. I have to buy bottled water. A regular filter will not resolve the issue, but I can buy a $10,000 filtration system that would take out most of the arsenic.

ETA: I also cannot boil it out of my water. I have to use bottled water for cooking, and this is why I don't have a garden, as watering with my hose would be feeding all of my veggies with arsenic as well.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Bottled water companies do not need to meet water quality guidelines. I live in a city with the best ranked (tied for first) water in Canada and many bottled water companies will either just bottle tap water or use worse quality water. Learned in university in a Water Quality course for engineering. We even tested some different waters.

If you're drinking from either wells or especially from surface water (rivers, springs, etc.) obviously, you may need to drink bottled water. But in a major city with treated water? Probably not. However, the government will post their guidelines online, so you can look it up yourself.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Sorry Road Dog... I have to :-) if i dont keep a case as my desk.. I won't drink near what I'm supposed to in a day!!

I have a case in my office, too.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I know what it is like to not trust the tap water. I lived in Milwaukee during the cryptosporidium outbreak. Now, the whole metro area has some of the safest water in the country.

This was a nightmare. Boiling water was a pain and definitely not something I would have time for now.
    But if you are the type of american that the rest of the world steriotypes you as (lazy, self centred, selfish, and stupid) then you carry on. After all, some people do just like to watch the world burn.

Will do. In fact I won't recycle either. Hopefully I do live long enough to watch the world burn. Mmmm s'mores.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It_4a9f37_1642377.gif
  • CoffeeBugg
    CoffeeBugg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My tap water tastes like plastic chemicals and filtering it has not helped. So I buy two or three 24 packs of cheap purified battled water each week. Usually about $3 per pack.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Why are old people so bossy>
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What I think is sad is that people would rather just spend more money on bottled water than do something about it in regards to their local government.

If the water coming out of your tap is so bad not even a Brita filter will help why don't you do something about that?
    There isn't much the government or anyone can do about that here. It's the source that causes the high sulfur taste/smell. It isn't as bad in Tallahassee (more inland) than other parts of the state, but it's still not tasty. It isn't so much that it is dangerous. It just tastes bad.
  • kmgrandstaff
    Options
    I live in a city that now drinks recycled "poo" water because the drought is so bad here...and I still won't drink bottled water :) I refuse to pay for something that is now SUPER filtered ( I hope :wink: ) not just because it tastes fine, but on the grounds that the plastic does not recycle completely, the water being used is taken from communities that do need it...etc. I'm not going to judge anyone else for drinking it, though... To each, his/her own.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yep. No bottled water. Screw convenience.

In fact, we should all go back to subsistence farming too. Same reasons. Things were much better for the human race then!
    Yeah. And if we could only forget how to make a washing machine and undo all the damage it has done to interpersonal relationships!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I will do as I damn well please
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    <<<<from the tap drinker!
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My tap water tastes like plastic chemicals and filtering it has not helped. So I buy two or three 24 packs of cheap purified battled water each week. Usually about $3 per pack.

I used to agree with OP but in this house, the water tastes bad and comes out warm, the pressure is awful, Brita takes too long, and the fridge makes it taste bad again. Something had to give, and I do recycle a lot, so...

Costco, $0.09/bottle (the 800x figure probably refers to $1 bottles). It's amazing how much more water I drink when I can just grab one and it tastes clean.