Eliminating White Bread and White Sugar

Options

Replies

• Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    unnecessary, but if you feel that's what you must do, more power to you.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You've been on MFP since 2012, maybe if you stop looking at restrictive diets you wouldn't be attempting another one.

What are you going to gain from cutting out all those foods other than making it that much more difficult to adhere to your new diet? I'll stick with eating all the things you listed as part of my normal day and continue to reach my goals while still being happy.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    This type of diet is not popular here but it is what I follow as well. I have found a great deal of happiness in the foods I eat. I eat fruits, veggies, protien shakes, dairy, lean meat....as well as limited brown grains. I have had great luck and you know if I was dying for a piece of bread is eat it and that wouldn't be the end of the world, because they are not what my diet generally consists of. I avoid them as a rule but there is always a little wiggle room so things are sustainable. I don't really miss white carbs and don't feel deprived at all. I'm losing weight and getting fit- it will work- even if it is a slow process. Trust it. And let me know if to I need help or advice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you're going to try.

In fact, I don't generally eat bleached, enriched white bread, or foods with added sugars.

Does it work? If you create a calorie deficit. It helped me do it because I wasn't constantly hungry (because I wasn't inhaling sugar and sugar, but was instead eaten nutrient dense, high fiber foods).
    Is it sustainable? Absolutely.

I've been doing it for 12 years. And have been at maintenance (+-5LBS) for 12 years.

That said: I'd also encourage learning about how to fuel your body with good, wholesome nutrient dense foods, and slowly shift your mindset from "eliminating" to "adding" or "focusing on".

But, again: YES, it's a fine thing to do. We live in an odd world where decreasing the amount of empty calories is considered odd, or "faddish".

Do you need to "do it for the rest of your life"? No. You just need to not eat at a calorie surplus. Eliminating two big sources of empty calories is a fine way to do that.
    Apparently, so is counting, measuring, and weighing forever. To me, THAT doesn't seems sustainable, but to each his own.
  • thenewlg
    thenewlg Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm a little disappointed in a lot of these responses. I've also eliminated all of the things in your list, replaced them with whole wheat versions. To me, health is more than calorie intake. I'd rather go over my calorie limit with healthy foods, high in fiber, etc than be under my calorie full of sugar and refined, manufactured food.

It's all personal choice so take all of our opinions with a grain of salt and listen to your body. I totally support what you're doing though, because I've done the same thing and feel so much better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    200_s.gif

t9R1WoS.gif
    Oy vey, that's lame! :laugh:
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I cut my body fat from 34.5% to 16% in six months by dumping junk like refined crap and sugars. It worked for me, give it a try and see if it works for you.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It isn't a rule, but I hardly eat them either, I just feel more energised without them. Big exception: chips (I am Belgian, it is our signature food) and crisps (I'm an addict). Check out my diary if you like.
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you, but in the end for weight loss it all comes down to calories in vs calories out. Now some could argue that wheat bread is "healthier" however you choose to define healthy.....but if white and wheat bread both have 100 calories in a slice it doesn't matter which you pick. Maybe wheat bread would be more filling, but I'm not sure how you would measure a quality like that.

I used to "diet" by eating chicken, broccoli, brown rice, egg whites and all those types of foods which caused me to yo yo +/- 15 lbs from depriving myself of things I enjoy. It took me a LONG time to even allow bread and white rice into my daily diet at all because I was scared it would make me fat. Now I eat what I want and stick to what I consider a 90% healthy diet and then I am lax with the other 10%. I've maintained my weight loss for the last year by doing this. Its much more sustainable not having a restrictive diet and cutting out specific foods.

I have certain foods that I know I tend to overeat, so I do try to avoid those altogether.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    It's all personal choice so take all of our opinions with a grain of salt and listen to your body.

has to be himalayan pink salt, or some of that gray smoked salt though.
  • ImaginingJackie
    Options
    What's so different about coconut sugar? o:
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Choosing to replace foods that are low in fiber, with a high glycemic index, and generally low in nutrients, with better choices is a healthy move regardless of whether it is part of a weight loss plan or not. Many people here will defend their love of sugar and simple starches to the death, but everybody makes their own choices.
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am starting on a new diet where I am not going to be eating white breads, white sugar, white pastas, white potatoes, or white rice. I am eliminating these from my diet. I am needing to know how well others have done with something like this and offer any advice or recipes/snacks to have with a diet like this. Thanks so much!!!!!:smile:

I'm certainly not against eliminating any specific foods from your diet if that is what you really want to do.

My only advice is to only make diet changes that you want to be lifestyle changes that you will live with forever.

I'm not saying you can't make temporary "diet" changes to drop some weight, but my thought is that it will be much more effective if you make lifestyle changes that you are going to stick with permanently. In my case, I avoid some of these things; but, don't refuse to eat if it is what is available.

There are lots of diets out there similar to what you are trying to do that have worked for many people (e.g., Atkins, Sugar Busters, Low-Carb, etc.). I've tried some of them and although they worked for a while, I found that it was very hard to stick to such a strict diet as a life change.

For me the important life change is:
    1. Be aware of what I'm eating and hold myself to a reasonable intake based on calories and nutritional value.
    2. Get plenty of exercise.
    3. Avoid / limit foods of little real nutritional value except as treats or on special occasions.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP world,

I am starting on a new diet where I am not going to be eating white breads, white sugar, white pastas, white potatoes, or white rice. I am eliminating these from my diet. I am needing to know how well others have done with something like this and offer any advice or recipes/snacks to have with a diet like this. Thanks so much!!!!!:smile:

Why are you eliminating these foods?

I've lost 44 pounds and have been maintaining for several months. Take a look at my diary and you'll see plenty of white.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did not totally eliminate them. I just avoid them as much as I can. And whenever I can, I use coconut sugar instead of white sugar.

What color is coconut sugar?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of curious as to why you think you need to eliminate these from your diet.... I never eliminated them from my diet and still managed to lose a few pounds... Best of Luck though if you are so inclined.......
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP world,

What does the color have to do with it? Seriously, what makes "white potatoes" particularly bad, or "white sugar" (vs. brown sugar? is that a health food now just because of its color, weird)? I get the grains, at least, since you are presumably separating them from whole grains, which have more fiber, but there's no such thing as "whole grain" potatoes or "whole grain" sugar, and white potatoes aren't white because of evil processing, obviously.

Advice: I'm not into eliminating things, personally, but I'd focus on the foods you are eating, not those you aren't, and come up with some good recipes and meal plans. A good portion of what I eat are meat, other protein, vegetables, fruit, and (white) dairy, and I think it'd be easy to construct a satisfying diet around those, plus whole grains, plus sweet potatoes. I quite enjoy eating potatoes and ice cream and white pasta, however, in moderation of course, so wouldn't eliminate all the rest, but it's not especially hard if you want to, except if you miss foods you like.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    We eliminated white bread and rice years ago in favor of whole wheat bread and brown rice. We like the taste better. However, I always advocate moderation in all things - if we are having burgers or sloppy joes, we buy the cheap white buns and they are a nice treat. Although I usually bake with whole wheat white flour, I occasionally get a craving for good french bread and will bake that instead. There is no way I could eliminate white potatoes; the rest of the family would revolt. I also do not consider them "unhealthy".
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I did not totally eliminate them. I just avoid them as much as I can. And whenever I can, I use coconut sugar instead of white sugar.

What color is coconut sugar?
    Brown, like brown sugar.
    coconut-sugar.jpg

OT: I tried because that's what people say to do for losing weight/getting healthy. I lasted a day before going on a mini binge because most of my diet is made up of white foods.