Fat Shaming

Options

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    all bullying sucks. if you go out of your way to make fat people feel bad, you're an *kitten*

that being said, some times its just fat people playing the victim card in an honest situation, like at a docs office or when they expect to have some sort of special treatment
    LOTS of fat shamers here but what do you expect from a forum where its members often recommend weight loss over sustained mental happiness.
    i have yet to see anything that i would consider fat shaming, and i have yet to see someone recommend weight loss over happiness, quite the contrary actually. where are these threads full of *kitten* that i so often miss?
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think shaming someone for the way they look (I have been shamed for being skinny) is evil and ridiculous. I'm sure that the person doing the shaming is not perfect either.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've been through fat shaming, skinny shaming and fit/muscle shaming. Everyone gets it. I actually get it MORE now that I'm in shape.
    You know what, this is an excellent point. I've felt shamed for getting thinner, as well as being fat. People always seem to comment on my muscles definition now, as well as being fairly small.

I get tired of, "You're getting awfully skinny" as much as I used to get tired of, "You're really put on a lot of weight.

When I was a kid I was bullied for being fat. Then ,fat was the minority. It's really no fun.

Just treat people as people no matter what their size.

This...I can honestly say people have said some mean things to me when I was bigger....but I get more negative comments about my body now that I am slim and "defined" then I ever did when I was bigger.

Why is it that people feel it's okay to negatively comment on me now than before?

That should be the question...

Why is it okay to comment in a negative way when a person is fit or even very slim ie you are too bulky, you are to big, you don't look like a woman anymore or you are just a bag of bones...but everyone gets in an uproar when it is required for someone to buy to seats in a plan because they can't fit in one?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    .......... I actually get it MORE now that I'm in shape.

So do I....even in here a few times.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i fail to see the point of creating the OP. what, was she expecting a bunch of people on the other side of the equation standing up loud and proud in defense of fat shaming?

other topics the OP might consider posting the next time she's bored:

"Do you think we should bring back slavery in the United States?" [ ] Yes [ ] No

"Are you a fan of the cold blooded murdering of complete strangers [ ] Yes [ ] No [ ] You mean if I can get away with it?

"Puppies: Do you think people should eat them?" [ ] Yes [ ] No [ ] With enough hot sauce

Hilarious. +1
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the manner in which it is done. If someone is being outright mean about it, then they need to be called out because that's just rude and human beings should behave better. If someone is just being honest and saying you are morbidly obese and you need to lose weight, then that's just the truth and I don't find anything wrong with it.

It's really all about the approach. It's like if you want your spouse to lose weight. It's obviously idiotic to call them a fat pig and make fun of them, but if you go about it in a gentle and encouraging way, you will get the results you want without hurting them too much.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Sometimes the turning point, the spark that leads to a success story, was someone speaking the truth. "You're fat". If the truth hurts, maybe it's time to change the truth. You can't fault someone for being honest. You CAN fault someone for being obnoxious, rude, unnecessary, intentionally and overly hurtful though. I'd say it's in the delivery as to whether I'd choose to step in or let it be a life experience.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I will defend someone being bullied for whatever reason.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    all bullying sucks. if you go out of your way to make fat people feel bad, you're an *kitten*

that being said, some times its just fat people playing the victim card in an honest situation, like at a docs office or when they expect to have some sort of special treatment
    LOTS of fat shamers here but what do you expect from a forum where its members often recommend weight loss over sustained mental happiness.
    i have yet to see anything that i would consider fat shaming, and i have yet to see someone recommend weight loss over happiness, quite the contrary actually. where are these threads full of *kitten* that i so often miss?

I must be missing these threads, there may be a few instances but from what I've seen its not tolerated. The victim card gets played a lot.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options

I have seen the occasional body shaming comment on here.
    I must add though that every time I have seen it there immediately follows a string of posts condemning it.

So I would not say 'lots of fats shamers here' at all - more like a few who are not supported at all by the majority.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    All of us -- fat, thin, in between -- deserve to live in our bodies without harassment. Period.

Very wise words and yes I would defend
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I would stand up for anyone being bullied for that matter.

On the other hand, many of the "I was fat shamed" stories that I read don't sound like fat shaming, but the person being overly sensitive, especially when weight was never mentioned by the offender.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about fat shaming? And would you defend someone who being bullied for being fat?

There's a difference between "shaming" and "bullying."

Fat shaming? I think that's subjective to the "victim." By some peoples' logic, I fat shame others every time I go for a run because I make some random fat person feel bad about their station in life. Not my problem.

Bullying, however, is unacceptable under any terms.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    i think quite a bit of what's being called fat shaming isnt actually fat shaming so much as people being reminded that they are some logistical consequences to them being larger. the airplane seat is a good example. i mean seriously, if you need 2 seats then you pay for 2 seats.

I agree. Telling someone they need to buy a second seat is not shaming. Taking the same scenario but essentially yelling so the whole plane hears that the fat person in 2A has to buy a second seat or needs a seatbelt extender would be shaming.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    People staring at an overweight or obese person out in public is not bullying - depending on where you are, a woman wearing a burqua or a man covered in tattoos, with bright pink hair and numerous facial piercings will get stared at by others.

I'm not sure this is the best example. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe it is poor manners to stare at anyone in public unless they're up on stage performing. And no, I don't mean some figurative they tattooed themselves stage. I mean literally up on stage with lights and guitars and all.
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    i fail to see the point of creating the OP. what, was she expecting a bunch of people on the other side of the equation standing up loud and proud in defense of fat shaming?

other topics the OP might consider posting the next time she's bored:

"Do you think we should bring back slavery in the United States?" [ ] Yes [ ] No

"Are you a fan of the cold blooded murdering of complete strangers [ ] Yes [ ] No [ ] You mean if I can get away with it?

"Puppies: Do you think people should eat them?" [ ] Yes [ ] No [ ] With enough hot sauce

lol thank you. what a ridiculous question.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Call me old-fashioned, but I believe it is poor manners to stare at anyone in public unless they're up on stage performing.

That's not old-fashioned, that's new-fashioned.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Walmart often charges extra for clothes bigger than XXL - is that fat shaming?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Walmart often charges extra for clothes bigger than XXL - is that fat shaming?

After the "what's your excuse?" debacle, it wouldn't surprise me.
  • BUTIgirl212516
    BUTIgirl212516 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming is awful.