53.7 pounds lost. My Story. (sorry it's long)

Options
Hello, my name is Laura. In February 2014, I went to the doctor for my yearly blood work/physical. First of all, I had to go to another doctor's scale (there are many doctors at my doctor's office) to be weighed because the other doctor's scale was digital, and the one my doctor used only went up to 350. I have never been so embarrassed in all my life. I was horrified that I weighed in at 387 pounds. I had been in pain with my lower back for almost a year (since April 2013), With this back pain, I could only walk for 5 to 10 minutes at a time before I had to find somewhere to sit down. It was the worst pain I had ever been in my whole life. I had an X-Ray on my back and an MRI. I was told that 2 discs in my back are degenerating, and that one disc was pressing on a nerve. I went to Physical Therapy, but it only made my pain worse. The doctor asked me if I wanted to go to pain management, I said no, because I am scared to death of needles. You would think after I have had 2 babies I wouldn't be scared of needles, lol, but I am still scared of them. I went to a Neurosurgeon, but he told me the disc is not touching a nerve and he couldn't do anything for me, so basically I have to live with the pain. In 2009, I was told that I have Fibromyalgia, so when I started having the back pain as well as the Fibromyalgia pain, I got depressed and I let myself go and I gained a LOT of weight. I also fell asleep a lot during the day and was sent to a sleep center to be tested for Sleep Apnea. I was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea on June 13th, I now have to sleep with a CPAP machine at night. The results of the blood work were not good. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and my liver enzymes were elevated. The doctor told me to start taking my blood sugar every day and cut out a lot of the carbs that I was eating. She didn't want to put me on medicine for diabetes yet, so I kept a record of my blood sugar numbers in a notebook and I would go back in 3 months for another check of my A1C. I was also made an appointment to go and have an ultrasound on my liver, spleen, pancreas, etc. Turns out I have a fatty liver due to the fact that I am Morbidly Obese. My doctor mentioned Gastric Bypass Surgery, and how she is not a fan of it but some people can't seem to lose weight without it, I absolutely didn't want to have surgery, so I made up my mind then and there that I am going to lose weight. I was sick and tired of not being able to do the things that I want to do. I couldn't ride rides at an amusement park with my kids, I couldn't do a lot of things and I was tired of it. I was tired of and am tired of watching my life go by and not being able to do the things I want to do. I started on my weight loss journey on February 10th and I haven't looked back to my old habits or went back to them since. By the time I went back to the doctor on May 9th, I had lost 33 pounds and I had reversed diabetes. She said that I had cured Diabetes and that I only had to stick my fingers 2 to 3 times a week. I will go back to the doctor at the end of this month. Now I have lost 53.7 pounds, I feel much better as far as not being tired all the time. I am no where near my goal weight, but I keep on keeping on. I am doing this weight loss journey entirely through counting calories only since I am not able to stand or walk for long periods of time due to my back pain, but I will make it to my goal. I am determined to. I just want to let all those out there know that no matter what you are going through you can lose weight if you put your mind to it and work hard whether you can exercise or not. I am not writing my story here to have anyone feel sorry for me because of my health issues. I am not going to let these things get me down and depressed, they shouldn't have got me depressed to start with. I am proud of my weight loss, but my fight is far from over. Thank you for reading my story.

Laura

Replies

• DonnaMDaniels
    DonnaMDaniels Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    congratulations on the hard work, and on your better health!
  • Mamaof2babies
    Options
    Thank you so much!!
    congratulations on the hard work, and on your better health!
  • secwife47
    secwife47 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great job. It get easier the more you loose. It's hard work but I'm finding I talk to myself a lot now, lol. Like do you really need more or you know your not hungry. Boredom is my biggest problem. I also was pre diabetic. I think thats what finally clicked for me. Kinda weird that I was willing to give up sugar and carbs. But the thought of being forced to with diabetes wasn't gonna fly with me. Good luck.
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your inspirational story. Congrats on the weight loss and kicking diabetes!!
  • newlooknewme2014
    newlooknewme2014 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story it is very inspirational. A little after I started my journey I was told I could potentially be pre-diabetic. I'm still not sure what that meant, but it drove my journey. The first 20lb I lost on diet alone. it is definitely possible! You're amazing for how far you've come there is nothing stopping you from reaching your goals. :D
  • fitladyfawkes
    fitladyfawkes Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Absolutely WONDERFUL! Thank you very much for posting!
  • Mamaof2babies
    Options
    Thank you so much. My husband is awesome and he supports me and doesn't bring junk food into the house. I was actually diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes. Hearing that scared me half to death. As I said I am scared of needles and have always been and probably always will be.

Great job. It get easier the more you loose. It's hard work but I'm finding I talk to myself a lot now, lol. Like do you really need more or you know your not hungry. Boredom is my biggest problem. I also was pre diabetic. I think thats what finally clicked for me. Kinda weird that I was willing to give up sugar and carbs. But the thought of being forced to with diabetes wasn't gonna fly with me. Good luck.
  • Mamaof2babies
    Options
    Thank you!!
    Thank you for sharing your inspirational story. Congrats on the weight loss and kicking diabetes!!
  • liagreen625
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Laura. Congratulations on a much healthier you! Keep up the great work because it is worth it when you achieve your goals.
  • Mamaof2babies
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind words.

Thank you so much for sharing your story it is very inspirational. A little after I started my journey I was told I could potentially be pre-diabetic. I'm still not sure what that meant, but it drove my journey. The first 20lb I lost on diet alone. it is definitely possible! You're amazing for how far you've come there is nothing stopping you from reaching your goals. :D
  • Mamaof2babies
    Options
    You're welcome and thanks!!

Thanks for sharing Laura. Congratulations on a much healthier you! Keep up the great work because it is worth it when you achieve your goals.
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Don't give up you deserve to feel good!!
  • mona52bask
    mona52bask Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura, thanks so much for your story. You've given me more motivation to stay focus and get the weight off. Keep up the good work. :happy:
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! There are lots of ways to move your body while in a seated position too... get some small weights and work your arms and legs. Doesn't have to be acutal exercises, just MOVE! It will help you lose weight faster, and may even help with the pain you are experiencing.

Good luck and keep up the GREAT work!
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Great job and an inspiring story!:flowerforyou:
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Great job Laura! Keep at it. I'm sure just getting the weight down will help some with the pain. Less pressure on our joints. Good luck
  • Mamaof2babies
    Options
    Thanks!!
    Thank you for sharing! Don't give up you deserve to feel good!!
  • Mamaof2babies
    Options
    You're welcome and thanks for the comment.

Hi Laura, thanks so much for your story. You've given me more motivation to stay focus and get the weight off. Keep up the good work. :happy:
  • Mamaof2babies
    Options
    Thank you, I have some hand weights, I need to get them out and work with them. I also have some elastic bands to work out with. I also have a treadmill, but haven't been able to walk on it. I hope to one day being able to walk on it.

Good job!!! There are lots of ways to move your body while in a seated position too... get some small weights and work your arms and legs. Doesn't have to be acutal exercises, just MOVE! It will help you lose weight faster, and may even help with the pain you are experiencing.

Good luck and keep up the GREAT work!
  • Mamaof2babies
    Options
    Thanks

Great job and an inspiring story!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!