How fast do YOU run?

Options

Replies

• auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I only do 5K trail races, up and down mountains at about 5,000 feet elevation. My last time was 9:55 ish mile. I don't run flat races so I can't really translate.

D.A.M.N.

I second that. Very impressive
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 5k race in 41 mins so that is almost 14 mins miles. That was a few years ago. I took running back up this January and have been running 3 to 4 times a week for the last 7 months. I run during the week around a 12 min mile...because I don't push my speed on training runs... But was able to do a 5k in May in 26:31.

Speed will eventually come later but it really doesn't matter to me. If I finish 3 miles in a 10 min pace or in a 12 min pace.. I still ran 3 miles. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Currently not very fast when doing distance. When i trained for my marathons, my easy pace was down around 8:00, 5K time 20:xx, but now I'm ok just holding a 9-9:30 pace for a 3-4 mile run. I've always been a sprinter at heart, and have gotten back into sprint sessions of 50-75 yds.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My current average pace is 10:30-11:30 per mile. So far my fastest ever mile was 8:54. My fastest 3 miles had an average pace of 9:20. When I started my average pace was at least 13-14 minutes per mile. I was so happy when I started running at an average pace of 12:00, the slowest running speed MFP lists. :happy:
  • witsend79
    witsend79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How fast I run depends on how far I'm going or what my aim for that session is- some I run at recovery pace (which is 11min mile), so I run at threshold (which is 8min mile) and sometimes I'm somewhere between.

I run 5k at 8min miles, 10k at 830min miles, half marathon at 9.09 min miles and marathon is a whopping 11 min miles- I run that distance easy pace to reduce the stress on my arthritis.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Currently 9:10ish - but that includes 5 min warming up at 6mph. I have done a 23+ min 5K in the last few years, but that was gravity assisted, so it gets an asterisk :bigsmile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I only do 5K trail races, up and down mountains at about 5,000 feet elevation. My last time was 9:55 ish mile. I don't run flat races so I can't really translate.

D.A.M.N.

I second that. Very impressive

As a trail nut myself, I'm third in line for being impressed.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, so at the moment I run about a 16:30 minute mile. My goal is to one day make it to a 12 or even 10 minute mile, but I know that's farther down the road. I'm focusing more on endurance than speed.

If you put in the work, try to consistently improve, and continue to put one foot in front of the other, you will get there. Just try to avoid injury and enjoy the process.
    But what are your run times? I'm curious as to the different speeds people are at and why/how they got there.

Please don't think or worry about other runner's times.. it's irrelevant and would not be an accurate comparison. Just try to compete against yourself and run each race better ("better" often times means "smarter") than your previous race.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    Before I forget.. I also call BS on the runner who *averages* a 5' 30"/mile..
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I've been running since April. I currently average 7:30/km
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Pretty sure she confused pace with speed. 5 to 6 mph is far more likely.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. But the :30 throws me. You'd only use that when talking about time.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. But the :30 throws me. You'd only use that when talking about time.

KMs maybe?
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

KMs maybe?

Yeah, 5' 30"/km would be more realistic..
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Last year's marathon pace is my easy pace this year; but don't compare yourself. extend mileage and speed will come!
  • LifeofJanine
    LifeofJanine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use a run/walk/run method (Jeff Galloway's method) and run about a 12:30 mile. That's running one minute, walking one minute. My fastest 5k was at just barely under 38:00.

Everyone has to run the pace that works for THEM. The pace I use prevents me from injury (shin splints primarily) which means I can keep getting out there :) Don't compare yourself to others!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

KMs maybe?

Yeah, 5' 30"/km would be more realistic..

that makes sense.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Good thread :) as I am a total beginner. Away this weekend but when I get back I'm going to start out on road.

are there any good apps I can use?
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Running is strictly for criminals.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    First time I ran a 5k in 2011 it took my 41 minutes. 3 1/2 years later I ran my most recent 5k in 31:35. It's been a long road but one that's worth all the bumps along the way.