females that started around 300 lbs and lost without surgery

Replies

• JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    I love this thread!

I started at 278.2 on May 15 2013 on Aug 1 2014 i weighed in at 150.6 so 127lbs lost.

I believe
    1. tracking food no matter what keeps you honest
    2. Daily weigh ins can help you learn if certain foods cause weight gain (for me thats pizza pasta bread)
    3. If your weight is more than 5lbs higher than your lowest you gotta be more strict til it's not.
    4. Fitbit keeps you honest regarding movement. I don't log anything on MFP just take fitbit step adjustment if something isn't step - then it's just an extra burn.
    5. Walk walk walk. Walking is a great exercise
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    wow!
    it's so encouraging to see so many of you are really doing this!
    i'm finding it challenging to get started on the exercise.
    it's been so incredibly humid here and i really hate it.
    i usually wait until sundown to even get housework done.

any tips for starting (and sticking to) a regular exercise routine?

I started around that mark and am now about 210.

As for exercise I started off with a 10 minute walk each and every day. It wasnt much but it allowed me to form a habit.
    As time went on and I dropped some weight I incresed the duration until it was an hour walk everyday. So my advice would be do what you can even if it's small start making a habit, after that it becomes easy.

I now swim 4 days a week in summer, have been doing machine weights for 4 months and have just started free weights. On an average day I walk about 10kms (6 miles), but it all started with a 10 minute walk a day :flowerforyou:

Forming a habit is great advice. That's what I've been doing since I started this a couple years ago. Baby steps. Short walks, leading up to longer walks. Incorporating more and more healthier foods into my diet over time, forming the habit of making better choices. After a while, moving more and eating better just becomes the norm, all else the exception.
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    I think my ticker should show up ;) 165+/- lbs lost. Started at 365 am around 200 now. still want to lose another 25 (or just look like it composition wise!) picture on my avatar.
  • Courtshorr
    Courtshorr Posts: 63 Member
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    PhotoGrid_1406927351784_resized_1.jpg

fixed it for you :D To post images the link has to be in the middle of [IMG][/IMG], only lower case

Way to go, btw. :drinker:
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    It can be done...just keep at it no matter what happens.

I started at 295 and I am at 195 now. I have 30 more to go. I took about a year off and worked on just maintaining but now I am back on track today and going to lose the last of it to get me to 165.

It is really just dedication that gets you there. MFP is awesome to help you know exactly what you are eating. I have a FitBit to help me with steps and weights bar and bench in my garage. I only do calories in/calories out. So far so good.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    nice to see more people have added their stories!
    so inspiring!!!
    now i'm thinking about getting a fitbit.
  • If you feel it's too hot and humid to find motivation to exercise outdoors, find an indoor pool. Almost all of them will have a lane or area dedicated to water walking. This burns a TON of calories but is easy on the joints (and blessedly cool). Instead of joining a big gym, look for a fitness center associated with one of the big hospitals or health groups in your area. These will often be associated with the cardiac/rehab centers. There are all kinds of discounts to make membership cheap or even free, and almost everyone there will be seniors, so no fears that you'll be stuck next to a size 2 triathlete who's gonna pound out 500 laps in her tiny $200 racerback. :)
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Hey! Started at 291 last June. It has taken some time, and a few plateaus. No magic pills and no surgery. My hopes are to get down to 150, so, 60 ish lbs to go. Just do it!
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    I don't know how to upload a picture to this posting. Sorry! I didn't start at 300 or even 400. My starting weight on this journey was 497 pounds. I have multi physical problems and couldn't exercise much and have been fighting this weight loss for many many years. In about 2 years I had gotten down to 307. I gained back some weight as I lost my motivation and did meet a man who turned out to be a Chef. This June at 390 I started again. Have lost 22 pounds so far but at my age and health the weight is not coming off as fast as before. However if you stay on program and stay motivated it can be done. I will be 60 in 2016 and want to be below 200 by that time. Wish me luck.
  • saraharnoldnelson
    saraharnoldnelson Posts: 26 Member
    Started at 320 lbs in March 2013. Lost 24 lbs over the course of one year. Got really serious March of this year. Down to 250! I go to the gym 5-6 times week, but the main thing has been logging EV-ER-Y-THING.
  • vicabra
    vicabra Posts: 56 Member
    Awwwee inspiring you all are!
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Started at 315lbs, down to 252lbs :) No surgery here, just eating healthy foods and exercising regularly :)

All these amazing inspirational ladies!!
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    I hit my highest of 311 lbs this past spring - I started a LIFESTYLE change in May 2014.
    I am now down to 271.7 ( as of last Sunday).

I was to the point I was seriously considering surgery and meal replacements , both which were very expensive but I gave myself a chance to do it myself first. I am so happy I did. I started logging everything , everyday. I weigh my food out and drink. I started working out to youtube videos because that's all I had access to. I used water bottles as weights. I did a workout - Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout- 7 days a week for the first 3 months with a total of about 5 rest days.
    I saw results and continue to now with a gym membership and continue to use amazon prime for great workout videos and aerobic exercise to pair with gym days,

Here are some photos of my journey :

r0tsnb.jpg

al2rgh.jpg

vfky7m.jpg

I hope you find your inner strength to try :)
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    SW: 290
    CW: 185 (Gained a bit last month due to drama, but back on the horse)!
    GW: Read my username. (Doctor suggested GW).

Editing with pics in a minute, but if it doesn't let me, I'll post again.
  • KrisN30
    KrisN30 Posts: 19
    I started out at 336.4 and have lost 60 pounds right now. I am 40 pounds away from my first 100. :D I have lost mine through calorie counting and just gradually eating less and exercising more. When I look back at who I was then I am in shock. Thanks for the inspiring posts! :)
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    I started at 299 last June and here I am at 216.2 today (recorded 215 a week or so ago, but I weigh in daily and my weight fluctuates a lot! I expect I'll be back there soon.) Eat less, move more, walk a lot more, watch less TV, be less sedentary at work. I still can't believe I made it here so far.
  • SassyMoonbeams
    SassyMoonbeams Posts: 229 Member
    Firstly I want to say if anyone wants to be friends, please add me! I would love that!

I am 5'7” and started at 304 but probably weighed more than that....I lost almost 30 lbs in 2012 then got distracted and let's be honest, made excuses to stop caring for my health....got back up to 299. I started here again towards the end of Feb this year and have so far lost 45 pounds from my highest.

As someone has mentioned, find a workout that you enjoy ( or at least don't totally loathe, LOL!). I will second Richard Simmons....I saw results. And it's fun cause he uses oldies music and even has some disco and 80s ones as well! Try his box set of Sweatin To The Oldies it's actually really fun! His 80s Supersweatin is still in my DVD rotation because it is a pretty killer workout! I also started off using his blast and tone DVD for weight training and have now graduated to other workout programs as I've gotten fitter and needed more of a challenge. Think about what you enjoy, do you like dancing, do you prefer quick short workouts like HIIT?

The other thing is you need to make this definitely a new habit. This is it...this is for life. Every week you take the time to workout, it is not optional. This is like brushing your teeth, this is like brushing your hair, washing your clothes. This is the attitude you need to have in order to circumvent excuses, cause the excuses WILL happen! You don't give an excuse for not brushing your teeth now do you? You have to make our health a priority in your life no matter what!

One of the greatest things you can do....WATER. Drink tons of water! Aim for 10 glasses a day and more when you work out. This will help you shed water weight, will keep you properly hydrated, will keep you from retaining water if you have more sodium or eat carbs, and will help keep you satiated.

Another thing is PREPARATION! Be prepared, buy and prepare healthy snacks and meals for the week. Set yourself up for SUCCESS! Planning is very important!

Personally, I also try to eat more protein and fat than carbs. I don't deal well with carbs, but I do enjoy my chocolate! Every night after dinner I have chocolate, and so long as you mostly eat healthfully then enjoying a treat every night or every other night within your calories allocated is AWESOME. You appreciate the treat more, and you don't feel like you're depriving yourself. Also when you eat more protein you don't get hungry as much and your meals will sustain you more! It's one way to set yourself up for success.

I am convinced that the biggest part about weight loss is knowing yourself. Knowing your habits, your patterns, your likes and dislikes. Make it work for YOU, with the workouts you select, with the meals you eat, everything! Sit down and think about what would work for you.

You got this!!!
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    I didn't start anywhere near 300 but I read this whole thread and I'm applauding you all. I get really cranky about surgery, not sure why (barring thyroid issues, medication issues, illness and disability), and I've had people argue with me that after a certain weight you CAN'T lose without the sleeve or lapband or bypass or whatever. All of you are flipping double birds at those people. YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    So what did you do about losing the weight around the hips, knees, and bottom? I'm losing in the face, neck, stomach...down to the thighs. But the weight in the upper thighs, buttocks, and knees are laded with cottage cheese looking cellulite. How long does it take for those areas to start going down? I ask because I've been told to go to the gym for water aerobics for osteoarthritis. I dread putting on a bathing suit until I drop more weight.

Thanks,

I still have more than 75 pounds to lose, but go to water aerobics. In fact I now teach the class - and I"m not exactly rocking a bathing suit! Don't worry, everybody is so busy worrying about how THEY look that they won't notice how you look. Go to water aerobics, it will help tone you.

So much this ^ ^ ^

I was 311 at New Years and just reached the 250's (257 to be exact). I started with just improving what I ate, then started water aerobics at the beginning of March and go 3x a week. I have knee and hip issues so the water has given me the chance to do a good full body cardio workout without the knee and back pain I would get from treadmills, ellipticals, etc. I can really see the difference in my legs and butt.

I am by no means the biggest person in the class and stopped feeling self-conscious after the first class. We have all ages, men and women, and all fitness levels. Some even walk up to the pool with walkers or canes, then work out at a lower intensity. The class is designed to give intensity options. For example, you can either march in place, march while lifting knees high, or do frog jumps where you jump, bending the knees outward.

I've started working out on resistance machines, but the water aerobics is my essential exercise. Besides, what is not to like about splashing around in a pool!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!