• Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    No.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    "Thanks for noticing."

And then move on. If she gets a reaction from you and knows it's bothering you she's going to keep doing it.
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You know what's worse? When your eating-partners-in-crime start noticing and become afraid that they're going to lose their "eating buddy." Just wait until you start getting "concerned" questions, like "Don't you think you've lost enough weight?" or "When do you plan on going off your diet?" or "Don't you think you're getting too thin?" when you are still 15-20 lbs overweight. :P
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    People get offended if you compliment their weight loss...People get butthurt when you don't seem to notice.

There is no win win with people that are just going to find a way to get offended about one thing or another. It's all just one big TRAP!

tumblr_m6fvmtUoNr1rrdwdy.gif
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I work alone...

..but sometimes I like to tell myself how purty I look. Should I hate myself?
    Yes. You should tell yourself not to do that.

If you get really out of control, though, you might have to hit yourself to stop it..

If it escalates to the point where you had to use violence, call the police and report yourself. You don't want problems with yourself later.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you that much, just say thanks for the compliment, but my weight loss/gain is not up for discussion. Why is it so hard to be direct?
  • saraharnoldnelson
    saraharnoldnelson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    OP, my understanding of your original post is that you are dealing with a co-worker who makes constant comments about your weight - whether it has gone up or down.

How I would handle it would depend on what kind of relationship I wanted to have with this person.

If I was content with icy politeness, I would respond to the next comment with, "We're done with the discussions regarding my weight. Please find something else to worry about."

If I wanted a somewhat cordial relationship, I would simply respond with yes or no answers and an exaggerated smile.

If I was content for her to be happy and myself to be miserable, I would just let it continue.

Obviously, this is more than someone saying, "Wow, you look great." And it sounds rather awful. Good luck with CC (crazy coworker.)
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    People get offended if you compliment their weight loss...People get butthurt when you don't seem to notice.

There is no win win with people that are just going to find a way to get offended about one thing or another. It's all just one big TRAP!

tumblr_m6fvmtUoNr1rrdwdy.gif

Yep ! Traps are everywhere .
  • Missfit35
    Options
    I would not be offended whats so ever I would say Thank You kindly for noticing and slowly strut away!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Having similar issues. I just smile, say thank you (even when they're saying I don't need to lose anymore now!) and just keep on towards my goals. Take it as a compliment and move on.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Hey, if I can tell my mother I don't want to discuss my weight, you should be able to do it with a coworker. Just say, "Thank you about noticing my weight loss but it really makes me uncomfortable to talk about it and I don't want to think about it at work. So, may I ask you to ignore it for me? Thanks."

The path of least resistence often involves playing nice-nice with co-workers so act like it's a problem with your sensitivity not that she's a buttinsky who should butt out.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    So you are getting offended because someone acknowledges your weight loss?

I would say thank you and move on with my day. Can't win anymore people are offended if you don't say something or if you do...

This. It's a compliment. I know what you mean about it being awkward, I find it hard to cope with attention on my appearance. But recognise it for what it is. A compliment.

Also verification of success :)
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Why would you get upset? You're working hard on it. Just enjoy your good shape, you've earned it.

I personally looooove compliments.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the comments I get from my coworkers. They are seeing "someone" they have never seen before. I've dropped about 100 lbs over the last year and it is a little difficult to not notice! Even more so, however, are the comments I get from them as they see me trotting around the building during my breaks and lunch. They tell me I am an inspiration, which is a role I never, ever thought I'd be in. But, it is great because I now have people joining me on those walks. If I can inspire even one person, then wow... that is cool.

I will say what I find offending is someone telling me how "skinny" I am... I HATE that word as much as I hate the word fat. I am not skinny. I don't even know if I would classify myself as thin... I prefer the word "curvy" because, let's face it... I have hips and a waist and there is a definite curve whether I wore a a size 26 (in my former body) or a size 4 (in my current body).

I also find it offensive for people to comment on my weight loss and then INSIST that I have had to have surgery because it would be impossible to lose the amount of weight in "such a short period of time". Truth is, it has been 13 1/2 months of work which I did not broadcast publicly, so when they started noticing it was like a 4 or 5 month period of time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    one of your coworkers keep going on and on how you are losing weight? I am 5`3 and small frame so a 10 pound weight lose shows.even when I gained last winter they point it out as well :devil: Now that I am losing and the weight is meting off it she points it out all the time as well:grumble: .would this offend you?How would you handle the situation?
    Yes, I had this happen. There as a lady who worked in the same office and constantly was noticing my weight, making comments, etc. etc. At first I was nice and asked her to stop making comments about my weight, she didn't, and I finally told her point blank to knock it off. She did, but she was fired a short while later for some other issue.

That said, I don't mind if someone at work asks me if I've lost weight and how I did it. But, in a general sense, it's not good to comment on people's physical appearance at work.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    So you are getting offended because someone acknowledges your weight loss?

I would say thank you and move on with my day. Can't win anymore people are offended if you don't say something or if you do...
    She didn't say someone is acknowledging her weight loss, she said they are going on and on about it. Believe me, there is a difference. I've had people at work comment on my weight loss, but it's just a comment, and it's very flattering. But, someone putting a lot of attention on you and making comments often is a bit annoying. It's the workplace.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I work alone...

..but sometimes I like to tell myself how purty I look. Should I hate myself?
    Cute. :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the compliments. (Why would I?) i don't mind being asked for advice. (Happy to share the health.)

What I do dislike are the comments about wasting away and being too thin. I'm an accountant; I'm professionally trained in numbers. I'd like to think I know how to calculate my BMI and check whether I'm too thin or not, thank you!

Not sure how I'd react to a coworker who comments on weight /gain/ though. The only person who has ever told me I'm getting too fat is my mother. I'd accept that from a friend too - but from a colleague? I think that might be overstepping it.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

This is an interesting response.

So, are you saying it's okay for corkers to go on and on about someone's weight and the person on the receiving end needs to learn how not to be offended?

I hope that's not what your saying.

There is a huge difference between a comment and constantly making comments. The first few times, it's flattery. Anything after that is intrusiveness.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Nope.