I don't feel like I could ever be that thin person

Options

Replies

• awilson213
    Options
    Believe me you are not alone! I have over 100 pounds I would like to lose. I often feel the very same way, but I also know that I am worth it and that I should love myself no matter what, and you should to!!! Keep your head up and think positive you are capable of anything you set your mind to!!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You sound like I did most of my adult life.

I had/have excuses too. TONS of them! Hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, kidney disease, migraines, anemia, sleep apnea? And a whole bunch more!!

But ya know what?!?!

All they are are EXCUSES!!! Yes some of them do make it a little more difficult to lose weight like PCOS, however, it's NOT impossible!!!

Once you determine that you are going to do it for YOU with NO EXCUSES, there will be nothing that will stop you. :drinker:
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi there. We all want to help you and see you succeed. I am sure most of us here believe you can do it. Please come and join us in our group called 3fc pals (meaning 3 fat chicks - we are of different ages, do different things to lose weight and talk about all sorts of stuff. We have a variety of different backgrounds and would love to support you on your way.

Our group is new and needs more members. mars, dorothy and i are the ones who started it and we met on the 3fc forum. Anyone is welcome to join us. We all have our different challenges and have come a long way on our own journeys already but encourage newbies.

My first tip here is make the journey easy to do - that means not going to the gym or bothering with exercise when you don't feel like it. You can do that later when you feel ok about doing it. Its easier to lose weight in the beginning without the added elements of exercise to complicate the whole thing. I've lost all my weight this year without much exercise. Not doing it does not make weightloss any slower. Trust me on this. The reason is that most people who exercise compensate for the calories burned by eating more. Its been shown in studies. To lose weight from exercise you have to a real lot.

However, it seems like investing in a pedometer is highly motivating and will make you move about more so get one of those as soon as you can. From my recent researches it seems that perhaps the best one is called a garmin vivosek or something like that. I know the first word is right but i'm not sure about the second. If you don't want to lay out so much money, just get a cheap thing. But the garmin has the advantage of only needing to replace the batteries about once a year instead of recharging every few days and that to me seems like an enormous advantage.

Food and nutrition wise i have lots of ideas and know how as i've played about with several different approaches that work. I am now a believer that for people with insulin resistance/ diabetes and that sort of scenario, low carb is the way to go. I'm not suggesting you'd have to start off going into it at the deep end. I liked it a lot when i came in from the shallow end i.e. a modest reduction of carbs. Anyway come in and join us if you like the sound of this. Don't worry that i the biggest talker. The others have busier lives than me.

I also have a history of depression and have learnt how to manage it and stress for the benefits of weightloss.
    its great that you have a loving hubby.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just try it for a month (weighing and logging your food, hitting your mfp calorie goals), and see what happens. If you don't lose, adjust your calorie goal.

Don't want to go to the gym? Don't go to the gym. I don't. I still lost 19 kg (40 pounds), and am at a normal BMI now. I do 30 minute exercise dvds that I can do from home (I like Jillian Micheals workouts, for instance, youtube ripped in 30). Don't have dumbells for some exercises you would like to try? Use filled water bottles. Work with what you have. Etc.

You don't even have to do exercise at all to lose weight, just hit your calorie goals with your diet - but I would advise you to do some strength training so that you prevent losing muscle.

Remember, You don't have to be 'perfect' in doing this. If you 'mess up' one day, tomorrow is a new day. Don't want to give up pizza? Plan it in your calorie goal for the day. Just keep going, and you will be succesfull. There is a lot of help on these forums if you need it.

If you don't know where to start, I'd advise you to start only logging what you eat now (without trying to hit some calore goal for now). After a week or two, you know where you are at, and you can make changes so you get closer to that calorie goal. One step at a time.

Also, read this gem here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • summerlinangel3
    Options
    We are all different and what works for one may not for another so all we can do is encourage you by telling you what works for us. Right now I do not go to the gym, what I do is Leslie Sansone walk at home 5 Day Slim Down. You do not have to do all five miles to start with. You start out at your own pace walking with Leslie and when you are tired stop. If you will try doing this a little each day soon you will be walking a mile right in your own home with nobody around to watch you. This is how I got into exercising and now I enjoy my walks with Leslie. I am 68 years old and can do a mile walk without any problems but I didn't get to this point overnight. Because I had lung cancer I do not push myself that is why I decided to exercise at home. I lost 120 lbs in 4 years, but over the last year gained 20 lbs of that back due to the thyroid disease that I have. When my levels gets off then my weight goes up, however I have learned to deal with these changes. I do not let myself get upset and start thinking all kinds of negative thoughts, I just keep on my journey of eating healthy. I do not think of my journey as being on a diet, because it's not. I started out with baby steps 4 years ago changing unhealthy foods to healthier foods. One or two things at a time, now 4 years later, I just eat healthy and I stay between 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day. As for the 20 lbs that I gained, now that my doctor got my thyroid levels back to where it should be I am losing it with no problems. Just remember anything worth having is worth working for. Won't you reach out and take that baby step today. I promise you will not regret it.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, so I know how hard it can be. When its not in control, it feels like your body is attacking you.
    The best advice I can give is to understand that you have to eat differently as your body reacts differently to carbs than other people's. Also, exercise it very important when you are trying to control your PCOS.
    If you eat right and exercise, you will not only look better, but more importantly you will FEEL so much better. The break outs will be minimal, your hair will be healthier, less ovarian pain, less mood swings, etc. The benefits are completely worth it.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can be treated like any other big goal in life like saving money or getting a college degree. At first it seems overwhelming but when you break it into doable steps it's easier and as you reach small goals you start to feel you can do more. So start with something small such as wanting to be able to walk 1 mile or lose 1lb. Sometimes we get an all or nothing mentality that if we don't do it all to the max we shouldn't bother. It doesn't have to be like that. Here's some examples of small changes you could make:

replace 1 high calorie drink each day with flavored water
    replace regular cheese with lowfat cheese at one meal
    add 1 work out a week- start with a 10 or 20 minute walk, whatever you can do
    park your car 5 spaces further away then you normally would
    jog for 10 seconds
    pick an exercise (squat, lunge, etc) and do 10-15 reps once per day
    add a salad to dinner

Once you've done one, add another. Your progress will be slow at first but making small changes over time rather than overwhelming yourself can be helpful in creating a habit.

My #1 tip: don't think of this as a diet or temporary thing. Think of ways you can improve your health that you are willing to stick with.

I am personally not willing to give up pizza, mexican food, and other things I like or eat things I don't like. So I don't. I just eat smaller portions and make sure I balance it out.

When I was 21 and decided to join the Air Force I could not run 1/4 mile without stopping but I kept trying and after a few months I could do a mile without stopping. 10 years later I have done 2 half marathons. It doesn't happen overnight.

"It always seems impossible until it's done" -Nelson Mandela
  • Remaking_Me
    Remaking_Me Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Been there--- right where you are. And now, Ive come down 3 stones.

You can do it too

There IS a solution to unhealthy food addiction: Clean eating.
    After 2.5 months I no longer crave or desire ANYTHING unhealthy. Its not probably what you want to hear, but if you fill up on filling healthy foods... everything changes.

First thing my nutritionist had me do: Track my intake and eat 100-125gms of protein a day.
    Breakfast 15gm
    Snack 25gm
    Lunch 15gm
    Snack 25gm
    Dinner 15gm
    Snack? 20gm (approx)

I dont eat 'just like that anymore'--- I start out with 15gms because my tummy is not hungry in the a.m. But filling up on protein, left me so full and satisfied that I couldnt 'fit' what I craved, even if I wanted it.

EVERYTHING changed. Get connected into a support system and stop focusing on your failures and imperfections.
    If someone married you, you're loveable. Get that through your head first and foremost. :)
    You need to find some positive encouraging friends, and if you'd consider attending a church or a place of spiritual
    development, to help center your emotions and find balance, that would help too.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you feel like you are being judged by everyone because you are harshly judging yourself.

Please find three things that you like about yourself and write them down. They don't have to be anything to do with your physical appearance. Write them down and remind yourself that you are a good person and there are many wonderful qualities about you.

Several people mentioned walking and that sounds like a great start for you. If you don't feel comfortable walking outside, Google Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds. These are walking DVD's that you can do at home and don't require any special equipment or much space to do them in. You can find them on YouTube if you want to try them out.

I also recommend that you read The Beck Diet Solution. It's not a diet plan, but it will help with the emotional and self confidence side of weight loss. It will give you a list of things to do to help you build healthy habits and to help you keep going when you are feeling down.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey! I totally understand the feeling of "why try". If I consciously been trying to lose weight at the beginning than I probably wouldn't have ever started. However, it started as a happy accident and then I realized how easy it really could be ("easy" of course being a relative term). Something to keep in mind. You get skinny in the kitchen, and fit at the gym. If you aren't feeling up to working out hard core at the beginning then you shouldn't have to. Just start by eating a little less. Notice I said less and not better. This needs to be something you can sustain forever, so feeling like you're depriving yourself is definitely not going to work. Eat some chips, just don't eat the whole bag because "I'm fat anyway,"If you have a lot to lose, it should start coming off pretty fast at the beginning. This should hopefully give you some motivation and encouragement to keep going. That's what happened with me anyway. I discovered that I had dropped a bunch of weight without really trying that hard, so that got me interested in what could happen if I really DID try.

I wish you luck!
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    You really can lose weight without exercising. I admit that I am quite a busy active person but I do spend a lot of time driving or sat at my computer. I have lost almost 2 stones without doing any exercise over and above my daily activity. It's all about counting those darned little calories. Make it your hobby to learn about food, so you know what will help your PCOS, and will help you to lower your calories intake. Weigh and log everything and as long as you eat/drink less than you burn, you will lose - guaranteed.

Good luck :)
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 stone overweight and have PCOS. I have been advised by my doctors to lose weight but it doesn't sink in, it just makes me want to buy a bag of m&ms. I got married last year, even that couldn't motivate me into a diet and I looked huge on the day. I feel the pitying looks from people when I try and look nice. I can't wear heels for long. I get sweaty really quickly. My thighs rub together in a skirt and cause me agony. I have awful skin. I get heartburn. I have awful stretch marks. I struggle to cut my toenails. I shy away from sex. I hate how fat my face is. Nothing looks nice on me. People look down on me. It makes me sad when my husband says I look nice. I feel judged by everyone. I love to travel but I'm put off going away because I get tired so easily. I am so so unhappy. Yet the thought of anyone seeing me do any exercise in a gym fills me with humiliation and dread. I feel like people will s****** at me trying to way healthy because what's the point. I've been overweight my whole life and always felt conspicuous but over the last two years I've put on about 3 stone with no sign of it shifting. I don't know how to get myself in the frame of mind. I don't know where to start. I don't know what to eat. I can't imagine myself ever not feeling fat and self conscious and it makes me think what's the point of making myself miserable in the gym because it won't make any difference. So this is what I'm dealing with before I've even begun. Not the best start....

You need to start over, I'd start with deleting this account, starting a new one and changing your name to something more inspiring. Thinking of yourself as Chunky chunk can't be a good feeling.

Second why are you so worried about what other people think of you, especially at the gym? 9/10 the other people working out with you there are working for the same results and I have yet to meet someone at the gym who would make fun of me for trying. I've actually had the opposite experience so far, everyone I've met at the gym including the "muscle heads" have been the greatest people to be around.

Third, stop with the excuses and do what you know you need to do. If I were you, practice flexible dieting technique (IIFYM). You do not need to kill yourself to lose weight, you can still eat all of your favorite foods and lose weight / improve your health for a life time. I'm down about 14 lbs since Jan 2014 and I've been eating all of my favorite foods, just making sure to stay within my calorie goals, macro targets and getting a decent amount of heavy lifting in preserve muscle mass and for overall health (body and mind)
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Get out of my brain!! While I may not have lost the weight yet, I have shed a lot of the emotional baggage you shared. A year ago, I entered therapy because of stress management. I was losing my hair in clumps because of stress. Stress managment turned to weight/binge eating management and dealing with my major depression diagnosis. I didn't think I'd ever love myself. I couldn't even fathom what that would be like or feel like. One of the first exercises my therapist gave me was writing down every self-invalidating thought I had throughout the two weeks. In half a day, I'd filled six pages (front and back) of a college-ruled notebook. The next step was spending two weeks challenging self-invalidating thoughts. Each time I challenged, I fought back with another slam against myself. Pages went on like this. Eventually I learned that thoughts are just thoughts. They are inanimate things, the stringing of random words. They only have meaning if I let them have meaning. Just because you think something of yourself doesn't make it true. And I set out to prove myself wrong. When I'd tell myself I wasn't worth it, I wanted to prove that I was. It wasn't until I could stand up to myself that I was able to create any type of change--physical or mental.

But here I am today. I'm happy and have more energy. I used to be so lethargic and depressed. I used to tell my boyfriend that I felt bad for him when we'd go out in public because he was in love with such a monster. I used to make flimsy excuses to avoid invites because I was convinced I was invited out of obligation or pity. I'd lie and tell my boyfriend that I messed up on my birth control so I could get out of sex because I thought the next time he saw me naked he'd realize the horrible mistake he made in being with me and I'd end up on my own. I'd spend at least 3 hours a night crying in my bed because of my weight and feeling like it was an impossible journey. I was constantly made fun of by my family members and boys at school for being overweight. My nickname in tennis was slibbychubbs. I made this up myself because I thought I could cut bullies off at the pass if I just made fun of myself. Whenever someone would take a camera out at a party I'd get so anxious I'd make myself sick.

I never thought I'd get to a spot where I could say "I like myself" or "I'm smart" or "I deserve this" (as in "I deserve something good). I still struggle with saying that "I'm pretty" but that will come in time.

I still struggle with depression and may need to be evaluated for permanent meds for a chemical imbalance, but I am happier. It took so long and the journey was tough, but it is possible.

It's one step at a time, which sounds so cliche until you try it and live and recognize that it's true. I started with small changes. Just logging my food everyday without a calorie target, just so I could see my patterns. Working out for 20 minutes a couple times a week and then eventually building up to 60-90 mins 5-6 times a week. I focus on this journey an hour at a time, which has been the biggest help to me. I'm bad with long term goals but can manage short term goals like: wait an hour to eat something. Don't get me wrong. That hour feels like an eternity, but at the end I'm so proud of myself and gives me just enough of a boost to go and accomplish something else. And then overtime it snowballs. Small things do build up. And when they're longlasting that's even better.

Something that my therapist discussed with me early on that resonated with me and I think will resonate with you is ACCEPTANCE. I used to think acceptance meant I had to like or enjoy whatever it was that I was accepting. This is not true. Acceptance is just that...acceptance. It is what it is. You don't have to like your current body, but you have to accept that this is what you're working with and move on. Beating yourself up about how you got here or how you continue to remain in this spot is only going to cause you to gain more weight and become even unhappier.

Accepting for me also meant accepting that weight loss is a long term commitment. It meant accepting that whether I like it or not, everyone's weight loss journey is full of ups and downs. It's not a linear thing. We convince ourselves that it should be because of what we see on TV or read in magazines. Once I accepted this, I've been able to start losing weight.

The biggest takeaway....look at all the groups and users on here. You are not alone. I'm sure everyone on here could either identify themselves or a MFP friend as feeling exactly how you feel.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Someones been reading my journal. Been there myself and I finally just swallowed my inner annoying voice and just started walking.

Overtime you will find yourself not bringing home any junk food, slowly work that junk out of your house. Start off with short walks then slowly challenge yourself each day by going a little further.

Believe in yourself that you can do this, that you got this. Once you stop then, all the weight and hard work comes back with a vengeance and the weight brings friends. Don't stop, just believe in yourself and stop thinking what other people think. You are doing this for you.

The only person standing in the way of true weight loss is yourself and no one else.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be that thin person. All you need to do is be the person that cares about yourself to make the best choices for you now.
  • Chunkychunk2001
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks so much for your replies.

Firstly - originally my name was Kate but I changed it in case anyone recognised me as it had my last name too. Chunkychunk is a nickname I was given in high school and it stuck for obvious reasons!

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was making excuses, that's not what I was trying to do. My PCOS isn't an excuse for not doing anything, it's a reason that I should be. It makes me feel even more guilty about being so fat and unhealthy.

Something I didn't mention before is I binge eat. I never have a Jaffa cake, I have the packet. I never have a couple of chunks of chocolate I have the whole family bar, I don't just have a few sweets out the bag I eat it all.

My main thing about the gym is a lot of people from school go there - I realise I sound 12 and not 29 but I haven't see some of these people since then and they weren't the friendliest then and I'm 4 stone heavier now. The other gyms near me are too far by the time I e finished work so this one is my best chance of going. I went today and hid at the back in the treadmill. Did half hour walking, 150 calories which isn't a lot I know, it's a start to build from though I guess!

Thanks for your support.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. We all started somewhere. We all had very good reasons for wanting to be healthier than we were, and weren't living up to them. Just do what you can today and do tomorrow when tomorrow happens.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

ETA - a half hour walk is awesome. JUST BE ACTIVE. Calorie burns from activity are secondary. I'm going to go on a three mile run tomorrow. 300 calories. The sports drink I have before and the banana and chocolate milk after are going to use up all the calories that I burn. It's still more than worth it.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    That's great keep up the good work :drinker:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Thinking about losing 84 pounds is a really significant undertaking. I think anyone would be feeling pretty overwhelmed if they thought about it as one task. Have you thought about breaking it up into smaller, more manageable chunks? A lot of people set mini goals, with rewards along the way, so they're giving themselves targets to work for that they can achieve every month or two instead of waiting a year or more. I've seen people post them on their MFP profiles, then check them off as they go. You could break it up into every 5 pounds, or 5, 10, 25, etc. It might be easier for you to focus on the first goal of losing 5 pounds for now, then tackling the next goal.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Good for you, for going. The next time will be that much easier. 150 calories burnt is better than an extra 150 consumed. We all have to learn to walk before we run. You can do this!!! Kudos!!:flowerforyou: