Not impressed with Dear Abby

Options
treeniemarie
treeniemarie Posts: 40 Member
I read this, this morning and not impressed with Abby's response.

OVERWEIGHT WOMAN'S BIKINI TOP GETS HARSH REVIEW FROM MOM .

Dear Abby . . . .... . .. .. DEAR ABBY: I'm a 24-year-old plus-sized woman (60 or 70 pounds overweight), but very comfortable in my own skin. When swimming in public, I wear a one-piece bathing suit because it doesn't attract a lot of attention. When I'm home, I have a bikini top and shorts I prefer to wear. This is because I don't like being covered up like it was in the 1950s, and I feel good when my curves are properly accentuated.
When I go back to see my family and swim, I wear a bikini top and black shorts. Recently, my mother said, "When the family comes over, you can't wear that. It makes people uncomfortable." I was shocked, and we had a huge argument. Most of my cousins are fine with my attire, as are my aunts. Only Mom has a problem with it. I asked if she'd feel the same about a large man swimming without a T-shirt. She said it's different for women. Am I wrong for wanting to be comfortable in my childhood home? Mom should be proud to have a daughter who accepts herself as she is. Who is wrong here? -- OFFENDED DAUGHTER IN CHICAGO

DEAR OFFENDED DAUGHTER: You are not wrong for wanting to be comfortable. But please remember that when you visit someone else's home, that person's wishes take precedence -- even if it used to be your childhood home. While you say you are comfortable in your own skin, it would be interesting to know what your physician thinks about your obesity. I suspect that your mother would be prouder of you if you were less complacent and more willing to do something about your weight problem.

Replies

• maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    yikes! talk about body shaming!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Seems like a reasonable answer to me.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yeah mother would be getting ignored for a while.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I saw this and was annoyed. I was with her when she told her that, "when you visit someone else's home, that person's wishes take precedence -- even if it used to be your childhood home." This makes total sense, because it is her mom's home and rude or not, she has the right to enforce a dress code if she wants.
    Attacking her body size and dragging her doctor into it, is neither here nor there. It has nothing to do with her question.
  • treeniemarie
    treeniemarie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I was thinking. And her mom would be prouder if she lost weight... that seemsed rather rude
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    When I go back to see my family and swim, I wear a bikini top and black shorts. Recently, my mother said, "When the family comes over, you can't wear that. It makes people uncomfortable." I was shocked, and we had a huge argument. Most of my cousins are fine with my attire, as are my aunts.

Well, when you marry your cousin it makes everyone just a little bit uncomfortable even if it's been done for generations.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I saw this and was annoyed. I was with her when she told her that, "when you visit someone else's home, that person's wishes take precedence -- even if it used to be your childhood home." This makes total sense, because it is her mom's home and rude or not, she has the right to enforce a dress code if she wants.
    Attacking her body size and dragging her doctor into it, is neither here nor there. It has nothing to do with her question.

same.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Yes, she should respect her mother's wishes.

No, Abby should not have even broached the subject of the girl's weight. People always assume obesity is self-inflicted. It's truly sickening. Any number of medical conditions can cause obesity. This girl didn't ask for Abby's professional, medical opinion!

Just rude! :mad:
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options

same.

This.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    she is a ungreateful daughter and shows no respect to mom

its moms house, don't like it, dont go in the pool.............

mom knows best
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    well, isn't Abby a peach....
  • Everburg16
    Everburg16 Posts: 101
    Options
    Wow, Abby just ventured into concern trolling.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone mad that Abby talked about her weight? She mentioned it in the opening of her letter. And if she's big, then there's a higher chance of health issues, so I don't really see a problem with that part.

The end about her mom respecting her more was kinda eh. No point for it. But suggesting a visit to the doctor for some weight loss help isn't bad. Why is it suddenly bad to want people to be healthy?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Meh, I see no issue.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am fine with Abby's answer.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me is the mother saying fat women have to dress differently than fat men, and I wish dear Abby had a response to that. Otherwise, there's nothing in there that's offensive to me.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Seems like a reasonable answer to me.

Ditto, Not your home anymore.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    People still read Dear Abby? Well people who aren't elderly aunties and grandmothers?

I have it automatically emailed to me daily. I enjoy disagreeing with half of her advice.