Replies

• Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    Options
    Depends who's chasing me :tongue:
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Before I forget.. I also call BS on the runner who *averages* a 5' 30"/mile..

Pretty sure she confused pace with speed. 5 to 6 mph is far more likely.

That's what I was thinking. But the :30 throws me. You'd only use that when talking about time.

KMs maybe?

Yeah, 5' 30"/km would be more realistic..

that makes sense.

That's still sub 9:00 min/mile...
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. But the :30 throws me. You'd only use that when talking about time.

KMs maybe?

that makes sense.

That's still sub 9:00 min/mile... I"m doubtful...
    A 9 min mile is doubtful??? That's a 27min 5K run.
  • _Josee_
    Options

KMs maybe?

that makes sense.

That's still sub 9:00 min/mile... I"m doubtful...
    A 9 min mile is doubtful??? That's a 27min 5K run.

I guess it all depends on how many miles her average is based on... My monthly average pace is slower than that.
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    11 to 14 min/mi. It all depends on the weather and my asthma :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I started running in Jan. 2013. My pace building up to a 5k distance was 13-14:00/mile.

When I ran my first 10K race last September, my pace for that distance was somewhere in the 12:30/mile.

For my first half-marathon last November, I ran a 12:15/mile average.

My fastest 5k was a 9:15/mile- March 2014. For most training runs at 5k distance, I run somewhere in the 10:30/mile.

Anything further, and I'm more like 11:00-12:00/mile.

The more you run, the faster you'll get naturally. Just keep going.:drinker:
  • ksuh999
    Options
    I guess it all depends on how many miles her average is based on... My monthly average pace is slower than that.
    Looking at your profile page, you claim to have done a 30K at 8:45 pace. So what's the problem again?
  • _Josee_
    Options
    Looking at your profile page, you claim to have done a 30K at 8:45 pace. So what's the problem again?

If you would have read my first post you would know that my point is: training runs vs races = different paces.
    The OP was asking about how we got to where we are at in term of speed and I (and some others) were saying that it's all relative to a lot of different factors and that you don't have to go out and run as fast as you can every single day.

I was pointing out that my average training pace is slower than 9:00 min/mile... And I ran a marathon (42.2km or 26.6 miles) at 8:45 min/mile. I know a lot of people faster than me and their average training pace is also slower than 9:00 min/mile. So yeah, I guess it's all relative on how many miles your average is based on... 3 miles a week or 60 miles a week will make a BIG difference on someone average pace.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I only do 5K trail races, up and down mountains at about 5,000 feet elevation. My last time was 9:55 ish mile. I don't run flat races so I can't really translate.

D.A.M.N.

I can't run worth a dog turd on flat ground. I am a strength athlete and that is more conducive to running in the mountains (power up slowly, sprint down). :) I envy those who can do endurance runs or run for fun around the neighborhood.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My comfortable pace for most distances is 10:30 ish. Longer than 10K or lots of elevation will slow that down. I'm sure I ran something faster when I was young but since taking up running at 45 I have run a mile sprint at around 8:20 - but then I'm done.

ETA: Oh, and heat will slow me WAY down.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

If you would have read my first post you would know that my point is: training runs vs races = different paces.
    The OP was asking about how we got to where we are at in term of speed and I (and some others) were saying that it's all relative to a lot of different factors and that you don't have to go out and run as fast as you can every single day.

I was pointing out that my average training pace is slower than 9:00 min/mile... And I ran a marathon (42.2km or 26.6 miles) at 8:45 min/mile. I know a lot of people faster than me and their average training pace is also slower than 9:00 min/mile. So yeah, I guess it's all relative on how many miles your average is based on... 3 miles a week or 60 miles a week will make a BIG difference on someone average pace.

Very good point and worth looking at. My monthly average pace is usually around 9:05 pace

Look here to confirm: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/f395f426a792443989cc9b545ae45445

And I ran a 3:10 marathon last fall. That's a 7:17 pace.

So it does matter what we are talking about in the discussion. A very important point to drive home is that you don't have to run every run as fast as you can run to get faster. Training does NOT equal racing.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Um, probably an 8 to 10 minute mile, 8 minutes would be like a sprint and 9 or 10 would be a steady run, 11-12 would be a jog
  • ksuh999
    Options

Very good point and worth looking at. My monthly average pace is usually around 9:05 pace

Look here to confirm: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/f395f426a792443989cc9b545ae45445

So it does matter what we are talking about in the discussion. A very important point to drive home is that you don't have to run every run as fast as you can run to get faster. Training does NOT equal racing.
    So you agree with me then:

A 9 min training pace is not unreasonable.
  • megqbrown
    megqbrown Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've only been running for about 4 months now. When I first started, I was running about a 12 or 12:30 minute mile (running only 1 or 1.5 miles at a time). Now, depending on the distance, I usually run about an 11:15 mile. Slightly faster for shorter runs (2 miles or so) and slightly slower for longer runs (4 or 5 miles). I expect to continue to improve a little at a time the more I train, probably over years.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Did my first 5k a few weeks ago, having not run in months, and even prior to that, I hardly ran, but I did it in just under 24 minutes and was the first female back. For someone who has COPD (68% lung function), I was quite happy with that.

That said, I do find running incredibly taxing on my body.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

So you agree with me then:

A 9 min training pace is not unreasonable.

For the poster we are discussing, no. It's not reasonable based on the information that we have. For other runners, it may or may not be reasonable.