Robbin Wiliams Dead?!

Options

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    We're going to have to agree to disagree as to what my view of suicide is.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm not mad, angry, or disappointed for people feeling the way they feel on either side... but seeing my loved ones suffer from depression even to the point of suicidal thoughts, I can help but to have empathy for them... There is always a risk that they will commit suicide themselves.. I hope to God it never comes to it... But depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it outside of the sufferer getting psychological help... no matter how much we wonder if there was something we can do... I see this on a very close and frequent basis. It's hard for me to see the google searches about it. While I know that I will never every be prepared if that event ever comes... it is something that I know has a high probability of happening... I don't want it to and I don't know how I will deal with it... But I hope that I will have enough insight to know that I know it wasn't my fault and there wasn't anything I could do about it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Talk about some misdirected anger (or maybe I should say energy) around here. If you can't fix something for someone or if you aren't at least in one of the requisite fields and spending 100 hours a week trying, you have no right to be angry when a person succumbs, whether it be to physical illness, mental illness, or to anything else. Being human in even the best of circumstances is hard, and the tools we have to deal with our lives are genetic and from our early upbringing. So we don't have much control over what we get to work with. Help make it easier for people, or take your judgmental attitude somewhere else.
  • hotjodels
    hotjodels Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was hoping it was a hoax but it doesn't look like it :frown:
    same here. : [ this is very sad.
  • edgeninja
    edgeninja Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Didn't wanna believe it. Still having a tough time. I grew up watching this man's movies. His comedy brand wasn't always my style, but I appreciated that he brought so much joy and laughter to people.

Also, like me, Robin Williams was a hardcore gamer. He even named his daughter after Princess Zelda.

He will be missed.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Like it or not a celebrity icon's suicide brings out some pretty strong emotions in those who suffer from depression and have contemplated or attempted suicide, those survivors who have had loved ones take their lives, and those of us who have been on both sides of this equation. Not everyone is going to handle this with kind words and sweet nothings, and I honestly don't think Robin Williams would have wanted it that way. He was bold enough to use his problems in his humor and in that way he made it more human. I don't believe I've ever cried over the death of a celebrity but I am now. All I can say, is let each other have your say but don't assume that because someone feels one way or the other that they don't share your experiences. Many people cry in grief. Some laugh. Some get angry. Some do all three. I think the worst thing we can do is deny another person's legitimate feelings whatever they may be. I know for me, that it's one of the most anger inducing things someone can do to me.

As for me, the thoughts that spun through my head include "coward," " you *kitten*, how can you do that to your family?," "OMG I'm sorry," and "thank God the world was given the gift of your existence." I can't say it enough, but you'll be missed, Mr. Williams.

+1
    +2
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Nanu Nanu. RIP :-(
  • VikktoriaW
    VikktoriaW Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So, so horribly sad. As someone who suffers from crippling depression, it makes me even sadder to know how utterly desperate he must have felt. He gave pleasure to so many people, myself included, and it seems so unfair that he had suffered in that way.

Rest In Peace Robin. You will be missed.
  • VikktoriaW
    VikktoriaW Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • MaryLouiseHarrington
    Options
    Tears of a clown.. as the song says.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Really sad, one of my favorite actors. Loved nearly everything he was in, such a range of talent:frown:
  • MzOnree
    MzOnree Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A huge tragedy! RIP Robin Williams. Seems surreal and can't believe it. Robin had unmeasurable talent.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I attempted suicide about 4 years ago. Whenever I hear that someone has committed suicide, it tears me apart. I know how I felt the night that I tried, and I never want anyone to feel that way. I have turned my ship around, I figured out what I needed to figure out.

I understand that I would have deeply hurt my family had I succeeded, and I feel bad that I even considered it...but that being said, I honestly was not in the right head space at that exact moment to be logical and empathetic. Is it selfish? Yes, I believe it is. But to call someone a POS is over the line. One moment does not negate your entire life, no matter how large the moment.

I know I am certainly not a POS, and neither was he. He was in pain.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    I have cleaned this topic up a bit. I want to acknowledge what an emotional and triggering subject this is for a great number of people. Robin Williams was a beloved actor and suicide is an extremely heartbreaking loss with a great many complex issues involved.

It would be best if this topic focused on the life of Robin Williams, and if the cause of his death is discussed, let's please do it with respect and compassion. This isn't to say there is not place for anger in this discussion, but please take a step back first, be respectful and let's not name call and attack one another.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    RIP to one of the best.

robin-williams-the-philosopher-48936_zpsb72dbd83.jpg
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Truly a great talent... He will be missed!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It was shocking to discover and I think something is not right about it. I don't believe it was suicide. If you check out many celeb so called suicides or ods are not truly accidents or suicides. I don't believe he did it I think thrre was something more going on we don't know. In any case he is dead and I am sorry for him and his family and every life he ever touched. I am sorry for his battle of mental illness and addiction at least he is at peace now. I wish you great happiness on your spirit journey and release from this physical world msy you be fulfilled now robin and now know all the happiness you brought to the world.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Well he's keeping Chris Reeve and Jonathan Winters company now, i can only imagine what a party that would be.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,311 Member
    Options
    Well he's keeping Chris Reeve and Jonathan Winters company now, i can only imagine what a party that would be.

Indeed, indeed.