Paleo Eating

Options

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out that I experienced pretty much the same thing just cleaning up my diet. It doesn't mean I have to forbid myself any foods. Yes it's true going Paleo probably removed several aggravating factors from your diet which lead to feeling a lot healthier. But that does not mean that "Going Paleo" Made you healthy. You are probably carrying several unnecessary restrictions along with the ones that actually did you any good. In the end Paleo will do no harm to be sure. But if you miss some of those old foods in all likeleyhood you could eat some or even most of them again in moderation without a problem. If you believe you will be unable to exercise moderation you have stumbled accross my only reason for going full Paleo. But that is not a virtue of the diet.

Well, going Primal did make me feel better. Were there other things in there that I'm avoiding that I could be okay with? Maybe. I switched up from Paleo to Primal because I love dairy so much. But if the ill feelings came back with the dairy, I probably wouldn't eat it anymore -- like I did with the grains. Otherwise, there isn't much on Primal that I miss.

So, although it may feel very restrictive to you, it doesn't to me. I'll still have the grains from time to time -- whether it's pasta or a piece of cake -- but I'm quickly reminded of why I don't eat them anymore. Over time, that's killed a lot of the desire for them -- basic negative feedback loop.

Did going Primal throw out the baby with the Paleo bathwater? Maybe. But so long as there are plenty of other things and the vast majority of my favorites are in there still, who cares? It's a self-solving problem.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I do agree that I think a lot of it is marketing, not a statement about archaeology, anthropology, etc.. However, there is at least a theory in biological evolution -- that we were adapted to those foods back then better than we do to certain things more prevalent in the modern diet. For example, difficulty many have with grains, gluten and/or dairy or the apparent increase in autoimmune diseases and insulin resistance in recent times are two hypothesized results of such dissonance. I'm not saying it's correct, but that is the loose theory (in laymen terms, not as used by scientists). And those are all very good reasons for eating some version of the Paleo diet -- as many do find to be true for themselves. Just because it's not true for you doesn't mean it's not true for others.

There is truth in this...... the problem is that it ignores the fact that some populations have adapted to post-neolithic diets (e.g. the ability to digest lactose as adults in Europeans and Masai people) and also the diet commonly pushed as "paleo" online bears no resemblence to actual hunter-gatherer diets. But people descended from populations that have been hunter-gatherers until recently (e.g. native Australians) do have much higher rates of lactose intolerance and there's probably similar things going on with some foods that were not eaten in large quantities until after the neolithic era or industrial era. So it's not complete bunk. Just that it's not been executed well and a lot of important scientific points have been disregarded. and the people promoting it have no idea what palaeolithic people actually ate. Hence the witchetty grub gif I posted earlier in the thread.
    it comes down to the fact that if a food makes you ill, you shouldn't eat it, if it doesn't then there's no reason not to eat it.

I agree with you for the most part. I just think there is a more of a spectrum of what "makes you sick" than many people realize until they try it.

I'll take myself as an example. I had no big digestive issues, that I knew of, prior to eating Primal. No horrible GERD, IBS, inflammation in my joints, bad skin, etc. When I tried it, it was mostly just to be supportive of my husband at the time. But, I did find that I felt sooooo much better on it. Before things I just chalked up to aging, or being at a desk job, etc. were far more linked to my diet than I ever realized. Now, if you were a person with some of the major intestinal issues or undiagnosable inflammation issues, the change in diet probably did feel like a miracle for those with such issues.

I also found for myself that I actually did have some issues that I was previously unaware of that probably were exacerbated by many of the things in the modern diet (likely gluten in my case) -- for me, a thyroid condition and insulin resistance. But up until I finally got a proper diagnosis, the only thing that did help was the change in diet -- and it was a huge difference for me, even if it wasn't as big as it could be for some others.

I suspect that there are quite a few people like me in our population (they suspect that over 40% of the adult US population has insulin resistance at pre-diabetic or diabetic levels) -- no huge glaring issues that do find themselves feeling a lot better on a paleo-like diet because they have some spectrum of intolerance. But they don't realize it until they totally switch up their diet. Of course, there are plenty of others that don't notice a difference and it's all the same to them. I just suspect that there are a lot of people with minor-ish issues out there of which they're unaware and a change to a paleo-like diet may help them immensely.

yeah I think you're right about a lot of those things. Just I wouldn't restrict it to a paleo-like diet... I function best eating meat and dairy. I've done vegan, I've done vegetarian, I've done meat without dairy diet... but I do feel best eating meat and dairy, including a significant amount of red meat. But there are people who feel a lot healthier eating a vegetarian or more plant based diet that includes some meat... I think you're right that these kinds of low level intolerances do exist, and people do end up feeling healthier on certain specific diets....... and as diets go the paleo diet is a healthy diet and does eliminate some foods that are commonly the cause of allergens...... but some foods that are paleo can commonly cause issues such as fish and seafood....... and some people don't tolerate high meat diets well. So it's individual. I think it benefits people to look into these things and consider them, but to try to be flexible and systematic about it... rather than (as many do) clinging rigidly to the paleo diet, which may result in them giving up foods that they don't need to give up to be healthy, or missing foods that they're intolerant to that are allowed in the paleo diet.

Also, people shouldn't ignore the fact that one of the major reasons why hunter-gatherers were generally very healthy was that they had to exert themselves to find food, so they got plenty of exercise, as well as plenty of fresh air and sunshine. These need to be included and if someone takes only one thing from the lives of palaeolithic people, it should be getting a lot more exercise than the typical western modern human gets.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Two observations:

There are articles in peer-reviewed journals documenting that food processing, including the grinding and cooking of grains, is at least 30,000 years old. Starch grains have been found in the teeth of Neandanerthals. Common sense would indicate that primitive man would eat anything he could hunt or gather - and that would include grains and legumes.

Any diet that restricts entire food groups on other than religious/ethical or allergenic reasons should be looked at very carefully.

Just my opinion.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have been reading about the Paleo way of eating and would like to know if any of you have tried it and if so, what was your experiences with it? Thanks in advance!!

Yes, It was miserable, unsustainable, and in the end, you still only lose weight if you eat at a caloric deficit.
  • pennyo140
    pennyo140 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like the 80/20 approach to eating. I also have gotten into the habit of making most of my meals at home, lots of produce, as much organic as I can afford (following the "Dirty Dozen"), getting 2 - 4 oz. of protein with every meal and cutting way back on grains. Definitely not Paleo, but Paleo-ish. But I also LOVE chips & chocolate, so I fit a little in.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I like the 80/20 approach to eating.

That's not really much different than SAD. If your "80" is only 20% carbs, and your 20 is mostly carbs, you're right back to typical carb intake levels.

Which is exactly why certain diet marketers pimp it.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have been reading about the Paleo way of eating and would like to know if any of you have tried it and if so, what was your experiences with it? Thanks in advance!!

Yes, It was miserable, unsustainable, and in the end, you still only lose weight if you eat at a caloric deficit.

Sorry just jumping in on that back of this one - what are we talking about restricted calorie counting!
  • jwats8
    jwats8 Posts: 112
    Options
    Every diet is restrictive, by it's very nature. Whether it's based on calories, moderation, macros or food groups. It's really about finding the "restriction" that works for you -- usually, that doesn't feel like much of a restriction at all if it suits you well.

This is great- I could not agree more. Find the restrictions that you can live with, and you will succeed.
  • 76dragonflies
    76dragonflies Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love your answer... restrictive? ANY diet has some sort of restrictions. It doesn't have to be as expensive as people say and it is much more healthy to not eat processed foods. I have many family memebers that this is their lifestyle. It is about choices, just as you said.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I don't really understand how people could claim people will live longer on a diet fad that started in the 2000's when all the research we have of the paleolithic era shows that "cavemen" had significantly shorter lifespans than even some of the most unhealthy of us now.

Of course they had shorter lifespans! They didn't have antibiotics, vaccinations, sanitation or medical science to help them with illnesses and injuries! A simple broken bone could kill a person back then because infection would set in. That's what killed King Tut! A broken leg! People had a shorter lifespan in the Middle Ages, too, for the very same reason, with the added "benefit" of marauding invading armies! Why do people always like to claim "shorter lifespan" for ancient peoples who lived in a far more dangerous world (believe it or not) than we do now? It had absolutely NOTHING to do with their diet, except in the event that food was scarce due to weather conditions.
  • johnprimeaux
    johnprimeaux Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try to maintain a processed food free diet, steer away from legumes and grains. It's not perfect, but it's my take on the Paleo diet. Another thing that I try my best is to steer far away from excess sodium rich foods. I realize our body needs it, but I see bad things from it - increased BP, water retention which leads to lethargy and weight gain. I see a direct correlation to my completing my goals and the amount of sodium I put into my body. Check my food diary and my weight - you will see the signs. But, I do miss bread, and rice & beans. I still eat it because my roots are from Southern Louisiana, but I don't eat it every day like I used to.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    There are a few different Paleo based diets about, which are less strict than going full Paleo.

Yes the diets work in as much as they are designed to offer optimum nutrition. As long as you eat it in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, although most of the Paleo diets are designed as weight loss secondary and for health first.

All diets Paleo, Vegan, Restricted calorie counting, LCHF require sacrifice. It's all about finding the one that feels the least sacrifice to make.

For me personally I found restrictive calorie counted sucked big time, but LCHF was a doddle, but then again I am a self confessed carnivore!

Good luck
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    "Paleo is restrictive" translation : " I HAVE TO COOK ALL MY FOOD MYSELF !?!?!!!????"

I like it, it hard to stick to but the results are very noticeable, weightloss, digestion, ect.

practical paleo by Diane Sanfilippo is a very good starter read for anyone interested. Half the book is very easy recipes.
  • SlimSlowFabulicous
    SlimSlowFabulicous Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm on my 9th day of doing this diet. Surprisingly I been thinking about sweets but not craving them. I have lost weight but I have also been working out everyday as well.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    "Paleo is restrictive" translation : " I HAVE TO COOK ALL MY FOOD MYSELF !?!?!!!????"

I like it, it hard to stick to but the results are very noticeable, weightloss, digestion, ect.

practical paleo by Diane Sanfilippo is a very good starter read for anyone interested. Half the book is very easy recipes.

Can I cook quinoa? No. Can I cook beans? No. Can I cook anything with cheese? No.

This is a restrictive diet. It's a low-carb diet masked by "cavemen ate this way!" so people think it's "the way everyone should eat" and it becomes borderline obsessive/dogma. Blah blah blah almond milk is okay but not cow's milk. Cavemen didn't have access to enough almonds to make milk and they sure as hell didn't have blenders. Cavemen were also not advanced enough to figure out how to farm or how to milk other animals. That's why they didn't drink milk, that's why they didn't eat grains.

It's a hypocritical lifestyle full of people who are always like "I do paleo, but my *own* version of it..." So okay, no one can really follow paleo 100%, so why even say you're doing paleo? To be super kewl? :noway:

My digestion, skin, hair all are better too, but it's just from losing weight and I eat everything in moderation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Are you trying to make people think you don't know what the "paleo" diet actually is? For me, cooking myself is no hardship, it's what I mostly do and could easily convert to doing entirely, so long as I could still make exceptions for an evening or two a week out, which followers of the diet keep saying you can. But the people who keep saying that paleo=not processed, as if I you couldn't get unprocessed milk or legumes or whatever, are making no sense. Indeed, there's quite a market in paleo treats these days (hint: these are processed), and I've heard plenty of supposed followers be excited about gluten free products and the like.

Now, back to the actual restrictions, I don't personally think there's anything wrong with it just because it is restrictive in certain ways. The fact is that most people eat kind of limited diets anyway and ignore many possible foods, so you can eat just as varied a diet within the paleo rubric if you want. And you can eat a diet that I would find not terribly hard to stick to and pretty enjoyable, except for the absence of dairy and (depending on who you ask) potatoes. I'd also feel compelled to cheat to have Indian food and the like, but again apparently it's not like vegetarianism where cheating is contrary to the spirit.

My only problem with the restrictions is that in my mind restrictions aren't bearable unless there is some reason for them. I don't buy the health claims of vegetarianism, but the restrictions are easy to understand and stick to (if you buy into them) because of the ethical considerations. I have some restrictions of my own, related to various views that I hold, and they are not difficult to stick to. Since paleo isn't based on ethical claims, there are really 2 justifications. One, quite simply, is that it makes you feel better. If it does, I think it's a quite sensible diet to follow. Might you achieve the same results in some less restrictive way? Possibly, but what difference does it make if it's working for you and you enjoy your diet. If I'd felt better on paleo vs. how I eat now (less restrictive, at least from my perspective, how it feels for me), then I'd have done it. I just didn't. So for someone like me (and I think most people are in this camp) feeling better doesn't justify the restrictions. Maybe different restrictions (like eating more veggies and less bread and sweets) that don't, in fact, constitute being "paleo," sure. But again none of this is relevant for those with different taste preferences or reactions to the foods in question.

The other claim paleo makes is a health one, and there I simply don't think it's well-founded. Is dairy bad for people who tolerate it well and feel good eating and drinking it? Are grains bad for people who have no gluten issues? (I kind of agree with the paleo folks that the health benefits of grains are oversold and they are more neutral sources of calories, but are they bad for most people? unlikely.) And as for legumes, they actually bore me and I probably eat them less than I should, but I have a hard time thinking they are bad for me. Instead, I suspect they are on the whole good for you, especially as a replacement at times for meat as a protein source. I've read the arguments to the contrary on this point, and they just don't make much sense to me.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Can I cook quinoa? No. Can I cook beans? No. Can I cook anything with cheese? No.

This is a restrictive diet. It's a low-carb diet masked by "cavemen ate this way!" so people think it's "the way everyone should eat" and it becomes borderline obsessive/dogma. Blah blah blah almond milk is okay but not cow's milk. Cavemen didn't have access to enough almonds to make milk and they sure as hell didn't have blenders. Cavemen were also not advanced enough to figure out how to farm or how to milk other animals. That's why they didn't drink milk, that's why they didn't eat grains.

It's a hypocritical lifestyle full of people who are always like "I do paleo, but my *own* version of it..." So okay, no one can really follow paleo 100%, so why even say you're doing paleo? To be super kewl? :noway:

My digestion, skin, hair all are better too, but it's just from losing weight and I eat everything in moderation.

Me too.
    If someone is experiencing some kind of difficulties or if eating a certain way fits his or her lifestyle and he or she finds it beneficial, that's great.
    But the whole "it's better because cavemen" is just crap.

While ancient people didn't have Little Debbie snacks, they didn't have antibiotics, either. Too much of either one isn't a good thing.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by the answers here regarding the Paleo lifestyle.
    I've been Paleo for seven months and absolutely love it.
    I don't find it restrictive at all...what's restrictive about "don't eat processed food"???
    As far as high cost goes, Paleo recipes and recommendations often tell us to purchase organic meats and produce, however, that's not really necessary. The reality is, you should purchase high quality meats and produce which doesn't necessarily mean organic. Buy lean meats, even if it means having to ask your grocery store butcher to grind a steak into hamburger. But you don't *have* to eat organic, exotic, or free range anything. You should get your produce at a farmer's market because it's not covered in pesticides but, again, that's a recommendation, not a requirement.
    I can't afford all organic groceries, feeding a family of four, two of which are growing almost-teens. But I can buy local produce, lean meats, and have money for some organic items.
    Figure it this way, if I'm not buying two boxes of cereal, two boxes of crackers, two boxes of granola bars each week, I can convert all that saved money to a "splurge" on a pound of organic apples, a pound of organic strawberries, and a pound of organic grapes.

Paleo isn't a "diet" for me. It's our new lifestyle. This is how we will always eat, whether we're trying to lose weight or just to maintain "feel good" bodies.

I don't have headaches, I sleep solidly at night, my son's eczema has cleared up for the first time in his life, my skin is clear, my back doesn't ache, my PCOS has done a 180...I could go on and on.

I think if you follow the plan correctly and don't shrug it off as "too" anything, anyone could find benefits in it.

Hope whatever you decide to do helps you to be healthier and happier!

Grass fed beef is expensive. I do not follow eating trends, ever, but if one is going to tout eating "Paleo" then one is supposed to eat grass fed beef, a la Paleolithic times when cattle or buffalo or what-have-you ate grass and not corn, which cattle eat now.

Organic is expensive too. It's great on paper but in reality it costs to much jsut to be able to say "hey, I'm Paleo."
  • Muscles_and_lipstick
    Muscles_and_lipstick Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I follow a paleo lifestyle, but I hate to call it that now. The term 'Paleo' has become sooooo convoluted.
    Paleo isn't just a diet, it's managing stress, making sure you have adequate sleep, eating real foods and spending time with family and friends, get yourself outside where we belong...... Oh and once in a while, pick up heavy things and put them back down. Walk often and throw in some sprints. Like the others have said, if you can't get pastured animals, choose organic; If you can't afford organic, buy lean cuts of meat. it's mostly cutting out the processed carbs that works magic. Some people choose to keep white rice and potatoes as their starch, some don't. Some people cut out all dairy, some don't.

It's all about finding out what works for you!!!

That's why most of the "diet" books suggest a 30 day strict paleo way of eating, it's to weed out any food sensitivities you may have. After the first month, slowly reintroduce some of those foods back into your life.