Very low calorie diet (short term)

Options
124»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Eating 800-1000 calories isn't being a healthy role model for your son :smile:
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Amount serving. By measurement or counting like counting out nuts

Counting out things like nuts is very inaccurate, some are small, some are very big, you could easily have DOUBLE the amount of calories you think you are eating. Weighing is the only way to be sure. Cups are also inaccurate, even tablespoons for powders tend to be wrong. For example, on PB2 it says serving size is 2 tbsp (12g) for 45 cals. 12g does NOT = 2 tbsp's, unless they are very underfilled... just something to bear in mind when you say that when you eat 1200 cals you don't lose.
  • jsmommy1999
    jsmommy1999 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar experience of gaining at 1200 calories a day. My RMR was amazingly low when I got it tested - no doubt from frequent cardio and under eating. If I can make a suggestion please find a good Dr. (probably an alternative one) who will test your thyroid - not just TSH which is what they usually do, but free t3, free t4, reverse t3 and thyroid antibodies. Often a good alternative Dr. can help you increase your metabolism. Restricting calories will just lower it in the long run. I understand your frustration though believe me!!!!
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Do what you want because youre not going to listen to any advice that doesn't square with your construct of what you want to accomplish

What makes 6 weeks the magic #? Does the world end?

As a father and a fellow human being that cares abouyt you (Yes, I do), let me ask you something:

Why would you risk your long-term health on a short term goal or solution that you can only achieve by nearly starving yourself?

Do me a favor. Go look into your son's eyes. Ask the above question out loud to him. He wont understand it, but if you can get through that question and come up with an answer that satisfies you, you are good to go.

If you cant, step back and reevaluate.

Remember, we are the sum of the choices we make - good, bad or indifferent. That choice was and is yours. But now it affects that beautiful kid of yours.

So, do him a favor and try what Ive asked.

Let us know how it goes. We're pulling for you.....
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    How about reading the links providing and doing some research on losing weight healthily and the right way. If you already know that it is not sustainable and or healthy then why would you even do it. You will eat that low and then as soon as you go back to eating normal you will go back up in weight. I am sure that is not what you want.

Also I would listen to the people who EAT and lose weight. If you can eat and lose weight then why wouldn't you? It boggles me the people who want to eat so little to lose weight knowing darn well they can eat more. If you are not aware or are just gaining more knowledge of all this and how it works, then start here. Those links will do you good. Don't listen to people who follow VLCD's. Knowledge would tell you that is not the right way to do it.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    800-1000? You weren't losing at 1200 and you weren't losing at a higher intake?

Aw hell, might as well cut it down to 500 calories a day since you're promoting a very low calorie crash diet.

While we're there, how about 200 calorie a day?!!

:smile:
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Anyway I can delete this post I didn't realize it was against any rules. I thought it was an open conversation place

Why do you think this type of weight loss plan is against the rules of the forum? Are you opposed to investing so time in reading the links posted for you and trying a food scale?
    No I'm not. But I figured I needed to delete this seems it's not allowed
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON NOT TO DO THIS!!
    I am going to be starting a very low calorie diet for a few weeks (4-6) I understand this is not healthy I understand I cannot continue to do this but I am going to do it… SO anyways any tips on an 800-1000 calorie diet??? I will be taking a multi vitamin and a calcium chew to help keep those important things up during this time.. I am cleaning my food habits up even more…. I hope to lose at least 15 lbs by the end of this diet I am 5'4" and 1200 calories does next to nothing with weight loss for me... No eating more calories does NOT work... thanks

I am on a diet like this... UNDER MY DR. CARE you should be under your Dr. too.... so the only advice I can give you is high protein... very important you keep your protein up.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're logging 1200 and actually eating 1800 and maintaining then maybe 800 will work for you because you'll be actually eating 1200 (assuming you miss 1/3 of your intake consistently). I'm NOT promoting VLCD, just saying if that is the situation you're not hurting anything with what you're doing. But no one thinks they miss that many calories.

Though I think you'll be uncomfortable either eating 800-1000 or thinking you are and will change your mind about it before 2 weeks is up.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Amount serving. By measurement or counting like counting out nuts

Buy a food scale and weigh everything on it that isn't liquid. Bet 1200 isn't 1200

This.

Or.

If you are really not losing on 1200 calories, there is a bigger issue that you need to address rather than sinking farther down the rabbit hole.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON NOT TO DO THIS!!

You will not hear what you want to hear on this. Do not do this.
    I understand this is not healthy I understand I cannot continue to do this but I am going to do it…

If you know it's a bad idea and bad for your body...why do it? You are making no sense.
    I am 5'4" and 1200 calories does next to nothing with weight loss for me...

Then you are most likely not logging correctly.
    No eating more calories does NOT work... thanks

...Yes it does.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    QFT, food scale. Buy one, use it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Okay, good luck with that.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    For medical reasons I am currently on a VLCD. 800 calories per day for the last 2 months. I have to get my blood pressure taken once a week, get my blood drawn every two weeks, see a nurse once a month and get an EKG every 50 lbs lost. There are a lot of potential complications on this diet that the doctors prepare you for, have you sign a waiver for, and try to evaluate you for. Hair loss, gout, foot drop (nerve damage that can cause you to not be able to lift your foot, so it will drag behind you), and a myriad of conditions involving the kidneys, liver, heart, brain, electrolytes etc. I would very strongly recommend doing a VLCD without medical supervision. You could be one of the lucky that doesn't have any complications, but do you want to roll the dice on your health like that? Especially being a mother. And for what...? If you are experiencing weight related medical problems, then talk to your doctor about a monitored program. If you're doing this for vanity... Well...I dont want to sound like a mean person, I'm really not mean and this doesn't come from a place of mean intent, but: Rethink your priorities.

Don't give up on a small calorie deficit and increased movement. That's really the only way to go for long-term weight loss.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Anyway I can delete this post I didn't realize it was against any rules. I thought it was an open conversation place

Why do you think this type of weight loss plan is against the rules of the forum? Are you opposed to investing so time in reading the links posted for you and trying a food scale?
    No I'm not. But I figured I needed to delete this seems it's not allowed

Don't worry about that right now. The main point is that you know we are not trying to be mean. Frustration over weight loss is very understandable but doing something unhealthy and dangerous is not the answer. The key is not to only lose weight but be healthy. Eating too low will not allow you to meet your body's required level of nutrients, give you the proper fuel for your workouts, or give you the level of energy you will need to handle a young baby. Eventually, this will affect your metabolism and weight loss, and health in a negative way.

Many people weren't taught portion control or weighing food. This is the reason it is so easy to underestimate the amount of calories consumed. This is the reason the food scale is being pushed. It is really an eye opener.
  • DumbwaiterRainbow
    Options
    For medical reasons I am currently on a VLCD. 800 calories per day for the last 2 months. I have to get my blood pressure taken once a week, get my blood drawn every two weeks, see a nurse once a month and get an EKG every 50 lbs lost. There are a lot of potential complications on this diet that the doctors prepare you for, have you sign a waiver for, and try to evaluate you for. Hair loss, gout, foot drop (nerve damage that can cause you to not be able to lift your foot, so it will drag behind you), and a myriad of conditions involving the kidneys, liver, heart, brain, electrolytes etc. I would very strongly recommend doing a VLCD without medical supervision. You could be one of the lucky that doesn't have any complications, but do you want to roll the dice on your health like that? Especially being a mother. And for what...? If you are experiencing weight related medical problems, then talk to your doctor about a monitored program. If you're doing this for vanity... Well...I dont want to sound like a mean person, I'm really not mean and this doesn't come from a place of mean intent, but: Rethink your priorities.

Don't give up on a small calorie deficit and increased movement. That's really the only way to go for long-term weight loss.

Please listen to this!

People here don't want to see you hurt yourself. Maybe you should speak with a doctor and get some more insight regarding your problem with weight loss!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you have done everything you say you have by counting and measuring accurately and still are not losing, I would see your doctor before you begin down this road. Not that you have this issue, but after I had my daughter, my thyroid got all screwed up and made me gain weight after all attempts to lose. It took going to the doctor and getting a lab test for my thyroid as suggested by the nurse practitioner at their office to discover this. This may not be your issue, but if it were me, I would check with a doctor first. Having a baby can change so many things in your body. Good luck.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You just have to learn to love vegetables, lots of them. As in eating veggies (cooked and fresh) by the pound! You will get filled up, and even though low-calorie, eating veggies and fruits is an extremely nutrient dense way to eat/good for you. And doable for 4-6 weeks to jumpstart your fat loss.

It is essentially the heart of the message in Dr. Furhman's book, Eat to Live. Eat more veggies for your health and in turn leaner figure.

When I follow his plan and log on MFP, my typical day only adds up to MAYBE 800 calories. And I am full. And I am losing weight. And my skin looks lovely and I have energy to go cycling at night and care for a 3 year old, a 4 month old, and keep a full time job and cook din-din for my husband. Soooooo...it can be done. Just make every single one of those 800-1000 calories COUNT. Good Luck!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    @sinistras eating to live means getting proper caloric amount to sustain your body. My 3 year old eats more than 800 calories.

Healthy is in the context an ENTIRE diet. Not individual foods. I severely doubt you're getting proper nutrition. But depending on the longevity of your VLCD, your metabolic rate may have already been messed up.

I'd rather fuel my body and be able to maintain my weight at a comfortable amount than justify living my whole life eating celery to goal and saying I'm happy.
  • eurochick64
    eurochick64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Aldi have electronic food scales for $10, I got one at the weekend, ..........works great !! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.