Parenting Advice - Sleeping w/ Toddler

Options
123457»

Replies

• tamara3226
    Options
    This is something I never truly understand why parents worry about.

Is the fear that the child will get used to sleeping with the parent, and not be able to stop? Do we know a lot of grownups who still sleep with their parents? I know my mom would find it odd...

Little kids want to sleep in bed with their parents. They eventually grow out of that. It's a different age for every kid. But at 2 I think it's completely normal.

This isn't a "it's wrong or weird to sleep with your parents" thing. I sleep w/ my kid and don't give a damn what anyone thinks about it... But in this case it's that DAD can't sleep with her in the bed. She's a hot mess and flails about all night... *LOL*

After reading some more posts I remembered that one I've my friends had this problem. Her DD was in the 98% for height and weight and flailed around like crazy...They did the pallet on the floor thing for her and it worked like a charm. She did that for about a year.... so if the DAD doesn't mind her being in his room that might work for them.
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    inconsistancy is the problem. both parents have to agree on one way and stick with it. My son has always slept with me (been a single mom since he was born he is 6 now) and there is nothing wrong with that - but i dont have a 2nd parent to consider.
  • _JustDG_
    _JustDG_ Posts: 1,584
    Options
    Just one thing I've never understood about co-sleeping with non-infant children. What time is bedtime so that the child ends up in the bed with the parent?

Maybe I am just a night owl or something but my child goes to bed at 8 pm with a routine. I'm not into bed until around midnight. 7:30 hits then it' close-up shop time with him, pick out some night clothes, brush teeth, wash-up and stories. With this routine he is passing out by the time I hit the third book. No whining, no fussing, just passing out tired every night bc its a consistent routine. Timed nightlight and sleep sheep go on, turn off the lights and not a peep until he wakes up at 7:30 in the morn like clockwork.

I couldn't imagine handling this without a routine and consistency. Not trying to be rude but it sounds like that is exactly what is missing here.

^This.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Simple. Kids sleep in their own bed and parents sleep in their own bed. There is no gray area. It's your job as a parent to not only love but to discipline as well.

^I like this. Set boundaries and be consistent.

I got my son a big-boy bed when he was 18 months old because his sister arrived. Neither of my kids slept with us, even when I divorced. I'm not a fan.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    All I know is my 7 month old is so warm and cuddly
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was young and hated to sleep by herself, she asked me "Why do you and daddy get to sleep together and I have sleep all alone?"

Bright little girl what did you tell her?
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was young and hated to sleep by herself, she asked me "Why do you and daddy get to sleep together and I have sleep all alone?"

Tell her that you definitely don't want to see what happens in mommy and daddy's room when you're not in here. It will be forever burned into your brain and it can't be unseen.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Tell her that you definitely don't want to see what happens in mommy and daddy's room when you're not in here. It will be forever burned into your brain and it can't be unseen.

Yeah not going to happen it would probably scare the crap out a kid if you tell them that. Either that or it'll make them want to come in even more thinking that they are missing something.