Why is it so hard for me to lose weight?

Options
For some reason it is easy for me to gain weight( i do not eat a lot of food btw) and it is extremely hard for me to lose weight. I am 200 pounds and i need to get down to about 150-160.

I eat 1,400 caloriesa day because i wasn't losing at 1,800 calories. Do any of you know could be wrong? Am i not starting my weight loss the way i should?

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring liquids, weighing solids, and logging every morsel you put in your mouth?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Same questions as the above poster....as well, can you open your diary?
  • kevinfishers
    Options
    Some people's genetics make it harder for them to lose weight/lose weight slower than other people or even gain weight easier, everyone's different. That being said there's measures you can take to help boost your metabolism & speed weight loss. You might try exercising a couple times a week, walking on a treadmill, hiking or adding caffeine into your diet (just make sure its zero calorie or black coffee)
  • onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you are measuring (with a kitchen scale, not measuring spoons) every thing you put in your mouth, it is possible that you are dealing with hypothyroidism. Are you frequently tired, cold, or have thinning hair? Hypothyroidism is a common reason for weight gain, and people who often have the autoimmune disease have trouble losing.
  • ForeverBlackBeauty
    Options
    I usually do not put my food up here because the app takes too long to upload when in on the go but i will start doing that soon
  • ForeverBlackBeauty
    Options
    I drink up to 125 oz a day and i do not weight my food but i usually eat foods that will keep me full for a long time
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    ... i do not weight my food...

Unless you weigh your food, you really don't know how many calories you're eating. When I got a food scale, I also got a big shock about how much I was eating, vs. how much I thought I was eating.
  • ForeverBlackBeauty
    Options
    I have my journal up for today...I didn't eat much at all because i was sleep almost all day because i had a head ace
  • KyleBonsorPT
    Options
    A key thing in weight loss is what those calories are made of; i.e Carbohydrates, Fats, Protein (Macronutrients).

If you eating more carbs than you should be and not burning them off so that you can move on to burn the fat, you will be forever struggling to lose the weight. You need to look at what your daily intake of macronutrients are and when you are eating them throughout the day.

That way you can make the most out of the 1400kcals you have, believe me you can eat a hell of a lot of food with just 1400kcals, especially of the good stuff.

Kyle Bonsor PT
    Personal Trainer & Motivational Speaker
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    A key thing in weight loss is what those calories are made of; i.e Carbohydrates, Fats, Protein (Macronutrients).

If you eating more carbs than you should be and not burning them off so that you can move on to burn the fat, you will be forever struggling to lose the weight. You need to look at what your daily intake of macronutrients are and when you are eating them throughout the day.

That way you can make the most out of the 1400kcals you have, believe me you can eat a hell of a lot of food with just 1400kcals, especially of the good stuff.

Kyle Bonsor PT

Nonsense - if she is eating under her calorie goal it doesn't matter what % is carbs or when she eats her macros :noway:

A good balance is better for health but ultimately weight loss is calories in calories out.

Op - if you do not weigh your foods you have no idea how much you are eating, start weighing and logging your food and you will see the weight start to shift. :flowerforyou:
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It's simple, you eat too much.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    op - I looked at your diary - you need to weigh your food, a cup of something can vary dramatically in weight and therefore calories depending on how you pack it.

Even small amounts can add up and stall your weight loss.

Please read the threads posted above and buy some scales - give it 6 weeks then readjust based on your results.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Message me in you want specific dietary advice.

Kyle Bonsor PT
    Bonza Fitness Personal Training

Nonsense - if she is eating under her calorie goal it doesn't matter what % is carbs or when she eats her macros :noway:

A good balance is better for health but ultimately weight loss is calories in calories out.

Op - if you do not weigh your foods you have no idea how much you are eating, start weighing and logging your food and you will see the weight start to shift. :flowerforyou:

^Yes this. You get a slight benefit from more protein in the form of TEF, but it's not enough to negate CICO (really it's just part of CICO)

Also I'm pretty sure your signature isn't valid unless you put it in bold.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    3 main reasons people don't lose weight:

They are eating more than they believe

They are over estimating their physical burn

They have a health or hormonal issue deterring it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    3 main reasons people don't lose weight:

They are eating more than they believe

They are over estimating their physical burn

They have a health or hormonal issue deterring it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^see, bolded signature. Much more impressive.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    ... i do not weight my food...

Unless you weigh your food, you really don't know how many calories you're eating. When I got a food scale, I also got a big shock about how much I was eating, vs. how much I thought I was eating.

Yes, this is something I need to start doing. I have a food scale but only really used it to weigh proteins such as chicken. I use measuring spoons, but they aren't as accurate as the scale either. My cottage cheese says that it has 6 half cup servings, but when I measure 1/2 cup (level) I only get a little over 4 servings out of it. I bet if I measured the calories by grams (which is also listed on the label) it would come to less than 1/2 cup per serving.

Also, this has been brought up too, but what are you using for your food database? I had avocado yesterday and one entry said a 1/2 avocado was like 24 calories which seemed low (and was). This, again, goes back to the point of weighing. To say I ate 1/2 avocado is not precise...my avocado could be bigger or smaller than the one used when that entry was made by someone else. I adjusted my entry to use someone else's where the 1/2 avocado was over 100 calories. That's a difference of 80 calories that I could have miscalculated. Do that with every meal and it's that easy to be overestimating your calorie intake.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food.
    Log consistently & accurately.
    Be patient.
    Lose weight.
    Win.

You're not losing weight because you don't weigh your food and you're not logging it consistently or accurately. You can say you don't eat alot, but that doesn't mean you're not eating alot of calories. Quantity =/= Quality. All food has different nutritional content. Small amounts of food can easily have alot of calories. It's not how little you eat that causes weight loss, it's how many calories you're eating. Buckle that down and you'll see some progress.

Also, logging takes me, at most, 10 minutes a day. If I'm on the go, I simply use the mobile app to add my food. Otherwise, I log it when I get home.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Kyle Bonsor PT

This is some solid d[/b]ick OP.