How bad does a tattoo hurt?

Options

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I have two and here is my experience (one on my left shoulder and another on my right ankle)

the more "meat" you have the less it hurts
    Depending on the artist, it shouldn't hurt too much, will feel like someone scratching you (I say that cause I know some artists that dig the needle in too far and scrape the skin instead of gently gliding the needle over skin)
    It does hurt a little more when close to a bone (it pinched when she was close to my spine)
    Funny fact: you may feel the needle in a different place then it is. like if the needle is on your left shoulder you will feel it on your lower back
    your body will adjust after a while (I fell asleep)

I found the healing time hurt more then getting the tattoo (feels like a sunburn...and I hate sunburns)
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you ask because i have two and am actually going back today for my first touch up.
    My first tattoo was on the top of my foot, i had heard it was extremely painful but since I had nothing to measure it by, i thought it went well all things considering. I am afraid this touch up today is going to hurt like a *()& so I'll let you know how that goes :)

My second tattoo is on the inside of my wrist, I have to admit it was extremely painful at times when going over the tendons, but totally worth it and it healed so much easier than my foot. the foot is tricky but was exactly where i wanted my first.

good luck and I think you should do it!!!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have 12, and am working on more... and it's different for everyone...
    My most painful one? My chest piece... seriously, it hurt so freaking bad...
    My foot- getting it done was easy, the aftermath/healing was terrible... I couldn't put my weight on my foot for a few days, which is why I'm waiting until winter to get my other one done.
    Anything over bone won't be fun.
    Here is a handy chart to help gauge the pain, but really, one could be painless for someone and totally hurty for another.
    23t1q92.jpg
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    When I was contemplating getting my first tattoo, I asked the same question. I was told it feels like one long, continuous scratch by a cat, or like someone dragging a needle firmly across your skin. For me, that was pretty accurate. There was some discomfort, but not "painful" so speak of.

But as mentioned, it all depends upon an individual's tolerance for pain.

ETA: I have a tat on my left breast, right hip and right shoulder. Also, I think if you feel comfortable with your decision to get a tattoo, feel comfortable with your tattoo artist, etc, you feel probably feel less discomfort. Apprehension about the whole procedure will increase the likelihood of discomfort/pain.
  • deskm0nkey
    Options
    I've several and each time they have hurt to varying degrees, but the tattoo's themselves were very important to me. Worst pain was lower back, and the one on my breast didn't hurt at all :-) As other posters have said, the fat/muscle/bone ratio does make a big difference.

The most awkward thing was me balanced on the chair for nearly 2 hours for the back one. My legs were dangling and really started to hurt after a bit!
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Like most have already said, it depends. Location, time, inks, etc. I've had tattoos (my kid's names on my wrists) that were done so fast that it was over before I realized it might hurt a little bit. I've had others (like a tribal piece on my leg) that was done in one eight hour sitting. Nice fleshy thigh, so it wasn't bad for the first five or six hours, but the last couple of hours were hard. If it takes more than an hour, the spray bottle will be your best friend in the world, but if it goes more than four or so, you'll hate it. The spray feels good, but when the artist wipes off the blood/ink, you'll want to throat punch him/her. :laugh: I've found that some colors burn a little bit, like reds and oranges, but I seem to be in the minority there. Some areas are more sensitive than others, like the closer the artist got to my wrist on my inner forearm, but places like the outside of my upper arms were hardly noticeable. If you've ever been shocked (electricity), that's about what it feels like to me when the needles first touch your skin.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo on my lower back that says "exit only". Wait for it...
  • Crystal4cats
    Options
    I have a tattoo on my ankle. I took some Advil about an hour before I got it done. It hurt, but it wasn't unbearable. Bring a good book or your iPad - it's boring to have to sit/lie there and hold still.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree. Depends on where you get it. I have two. One on my back and a small one on my wrist. Both hurt, but bearable. I want more, but my husband objects.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Well since I was in my early 20s, I've wanted a specific tattoo. Now that I'm losing the weight, I feel that a reward when I get to my goal is to get the tattoo I've always wanted. I'm thinking about a few inches big, and either in the centre of my upper back or on my left shoulder. So my question is, how bad do they hurt? Lol

Just like real estate....location, location, location!! I have most mine in fairly meaty places( shoulder and biceps) and one on my forearm. To me none of them really hurt, I think it feels more like a razor cutting the skin. A small, very clean cut. After about 5-10 mins things start to kinda get numb and its really just being patient.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your pain tolerence, where it is, colors used if you're sensitive, etc. For example, I have super sensitive skin, I can feel the difference in different color inks but my artist has only met a couple other people like that.

Yes, it hurts. If you don't mind pain, it can be relaxing. Hell, I find it enjoyable. My most painful one was probably the side of my thigh or behind the knee where everything is especially sensitive. However, my wrists, lower leg, heart, shoulder, behind ear, those didn't hurt. The behind the ear one did vibrate my entire skull, though, and the post-tattoo headache was worse than the actual tattoo.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I got my right shoulder done (see profile pic), and it hurt like hell. I've heard that being skinny doesn't help, and that may be true. I had virtually no muscle on the spots I got tattooed, but the worst pain felt like the guy was tattooing my clavicle (the bone itself), and not my skin. I almost passed out at one point, but I got through it.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The pain could be said for the rest of your life... and will probably be most felt when you finally mature and the neat tattoo has taken on the appearance of a smudged mess on your wrinkly aged skin and is a long gone fashion !!!

Time would be better spent on perfecting make up and the manner in which you dress and present yourself which far too many women have neglected right down to the manner in which eat !!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    All the way to your pocket book.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The motto at my tattoo shop is "Yeah, It F*ckin Hurts!"

It really depends on where you get it, and the person, as some have a higher tolerance for pain than others. For instance I have both sides of my outer arms inked and those didn't hurt at all, whereas I know someone who got the same area tattooed and he said the pain was awful (personally I think he's a wuss). :-)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I didn't find the actual tattoo as painful as the itching of it healing afterward!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I had mine done a few years ago. The infamous "tramp stamp" before I knew that they were called that it hurt terribly. I would like to think that I have a relatively high pain tolerance but it sucked and it has held me back from having my second one.

I want one on my foot which I hear hurts bad. I am waiting until I hit my next goal and deciding.

Good luck!

I have one that took about two hours on my foot, i did not expect to be able to sit that long i thought it would hurt way more... it was fine... I will be getting another on my other foot eventually :)
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have quite a of my back covered, they don't hurt in my experience. Now some parlors are using numbing cream too. So that's always an option :D
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well since I was in my early 20s, I've wanted a specific tattoo. Now that I'm losing the weight, I feel that a reward when I get to my goal is to get the tattoo I've always wanted. I'm thinking about a few inches big, and either in the centre of my upper back or on my left shoulder. So my question is, how bad do they hurt? Lol

Not as much as it will hurt to get it removed when you are 50.

I've always wanted the same design...I thought of that lol, but it's been 6 years and I still love the idea and design

And thanks everyone again...I'll be going for it for sure. You all described what I wanted to know perfectly!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Not as much as it will hurt to get it removed when you are 50.

I've always wanted the same design...I thought of that lol, but it's been 6 years and I still love the idea and design

And thanks everyone again...I'll be going for it for sure. You all described what I wanted to know perfectly!

People are always going to tell you that you'll regret it. If you've been rocking the idea for 6 years I'd say you're good to get it. Just go into it with some realistic expectations and RESEARCH for a good artist. Look for portfolios and examples of their work in the style you want your piece. Then actually talk to them ebcause, as I've learned, feeling comfortable with the artist goes so far with the whole experience.