My dietician keeps body shaming me :(

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just want to tell you that I went through this also. When I was 16. Same stats as you. When I recovered I ate pie and brownies. I gained fine and regained my health. I also had liver problems and fully recovered. You don't need the pressure being put on you. You can recover from this and be healthy again and lead a healthy life. Even some "helping professionals" can have their own issues and not be helpful. Therapy is also important and will help you through all of this to deal with your stress, get guidance, heal the mental/emotional stuff while your body heals.

Neda is a good resource. Mfp has added a resource page for eating disorders.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP. Just a few things...

1) If your dietician is giving you conflicting information and changing her tune every time you see her, drop her. You need reliable information that only changes when medically necessary and appropriate. (i.e., if your numbers change after blood work or if your physician makes that determination), and it doesn't appear that she's giving you that. Find someone who has experience treating people who are in recovery and is interested in working in conjunction with your physician.

2) Consider therapy to help with your feelings during the recovery process, and to help you deal with the additional stress/unhappiness that this woman has caused you, whether inadvertent or not. You need a safe place where your feelings are valid and worth exploring. You can also work on coping mechanisms should something extremely stressful happen again. As you learn to cope with recovery and with things in general, you'll become mentally stronger. People like your soon-to-be former dietician will be little more than a blip on your radar screen.

3) Consider the 10 pound gain a personal victory, because that's what it is. Remember that your liver has improved. The other stuff about body composition and whatnot can be discussed with your physician and your future dietician. Every time you feel badly, think about those things. Think about how far you've already come and how much further you have to go. I know that last part seems overwhelming at first, but you clearly want to get better. You simply wanting to get better, going to appointments, dealing with your emotions and eating as advised by medical professionals will ensure that.

You will get better. It'll take a lot of hard work. There will be stress, there will be tears and there will be days where you don't do everything "perfectly". I only say that to be realistic, not harsh or non-supportive. Through therapy or counseling you'll learn how to forgive yourself for not doing things "perfectly".

You know you're worth it. That's why you sought medical intervention in the first place. Don't let someone else change that.

Good luck, OP. Try to be a bit gentler with yourself until this particular bout of sadness lessens.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow - luckily I had already blocked the douche in a previous post, so I am not as exposed to idiotic remarks.

Remember this - you ALWAYS have the right to care and compassion when it comes to health care providers. If you are not receiving what you expect, move on to a different dietician, counsellor, doctor, surgeon, WHATEVER. They will not take it personally, as sometimes two people just do not mesh.

Remove what your nutritionist told you, speak with your doctor about getting a referral to someone different. DO NOT let this worker defeat you, or the d-bags on MFP for that matter.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

OOOh and its "chocolatediet" lady - not surprised at all! I would have thought natural selection would have taken its course and that user would have been hit by a bus already. Ill continue to keep my fingers crossed.

My God!
    Hoping someone gets hit by a bus? For posting a "looking around" gif??

I'm so glad that OP got some real, solid advice amid this foolishness.
  • Aquaburry
    Options
    I just want to tell you that I went through this also. When I was 16. Same stats as you. When I recovered I ate pie and brownies. I gained fine and regained my health. I also had liver problems and fully recovered. You don't need the pressure being put on you. You can recover from this and be healthy again and lead a healthy life. Even some "helping professionals" can have their own issues and not be helpful. Therapy is also important and will help you through all of this to deal with your stress, get guidance, heal the mental/emotional stuff while your body heals.

Would you mind if I PMd you and asked a few more questions since you were in the exact same boat as me? I am really curious to know more about how it all can turn out positively. Also thank you to everyone else who keeps on answering! You are giving hope to me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Would you mind if I PMd you and asked a few more questions since you were in the exact same boat as me? I am really curious to know more about how it all can turn out positively. Also thank you to everyone else who keeps on answering! You are giving hope to me.

Sure. You can message me.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am not 100% certain, but from your post, it doesn't sound like you received mental health treatment. It's extremely tough to long-term beat an eating disorder without some form of therapy (from a counselor, psychologist, social worker, etc). As you have learned from this thread, there are far more unkind and thoughtless people out there than your RD. Therapy will help you learn how to deal with the asshats of the world. DBT is a great form of treatment for people suffering from eating disorders.

Agree with this 100%. Recovery from ED is not just a medical/nutrition issue. It is a mental health issue and you would greatly benefit from seeing a psychologist trained in treating ED's.

GREAT JOB working on getting healthy! That is great progress. If your nutritionist isn't communicating with you effectively, find someone else who can work with you more productively. There are many wonderful RD's out there with great compassion and insight.

Hugs to you!
  • mkfoster9
    mkfoster9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So I was underweight and unhealthy. I was 85 lbs and 5'2, female, 19. I took it upon myself to grow up and get some damn help. So I scouted out my own doctor and nutritionist and left the pediatrician I had as a kid. Now I go see my nutritionist (RD, LDN) once a week, but as of late we are conflicting.

My worst issue with her is she keeps body shaming me, more or less, making me feel bad about having ice cream when I was physically emaciated and now telling me against my doctor's word that I am somehow damaging my liver by eating ice cream. God, what did I do wrong? Do you think I truly messed my liver up? I mean, it IMPROVED with the 10 lbs, not declined! I feel so ashamed because of this woman and I am more and more depressed every day, but only because of HER.

When I told her she was stressing me out, she told me to go see a therapist.

Well no therapy is going to help me figure out what is wrong with my stupid liver, so what gives?

You would probably benefit from a therapist not because this person says you need one, but as a general "quarterback" for the team that's helping you and a touchstone for yourself. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater because someone snarkily suggested it.

Your nutritionist (not to defend her manner) is probably not used to people with your particular set of goals and background,. I doubt she's shaming you on purpose, but rather she's working in a realm where she isn't specialized. Scientifically speaking, I would not like to be "in a corner" where obviously the gains you saw need re-enforced, but doing that re-enforcement means praising a diet that's 2/3s desert. A classically trained nutritionist would (and for many OTHER PATIENTS, should) find it difficult. She's dealing with the instinct to tell you "ten pounds is good...but...

Where something technically, pedantically correct about how it could have been more normative food choices follows the "but."

In her mind, she's likely turned the ship (you) to the north, generally, and now wants to turn it a bit to the east, because North is good, North is the right general direction, but the rudder could use a tap to conform with her textbook, which says "North and a little east"

She likely doesn't understand that you are in a position where "North" and "North East" feel very different and "I know last week I said north, you made progress with north, but now I'm thinking Northeast" feels like a wishy-washy reversal, and jerking the rudder around too much endangers the whole voyage.

Like many mainstream medical professionals, she's trained to give you accurate scientific advice, but probably not trained at all on HOW to deliver, modify, or qualify it - thus, it's not always going to be compassionate or productive. If you're lost in the clouds and ask me where you are and I yell up "in a hot air balloon" I haven't "technically" done anything wrong, but I'm not being useful to YOU in YOUR situation.

You are "the customer" and always have the right to change out any member of your medical team for any reason (right down to not liking their aftershave), and you probably should seek a new start with a new nutritionist,...that said, I'd like to re-iterate that a therapeutic professional in the ED realm may actually be able to help you interact with medical professionals whose training is mainly clinical and not relational. He or she would be able to hear out your concerns in full and not try give you cookie cutter, one-size-fits-all (badly) advice.

My family doctor is very good, generally, but his advice on weight to my (overweight) self was always "Just lose weight"

He's a friend of my family and I see him outside of work and understand that it frustrates and scares him that people won't do what seems simple to him, but even having that understanding of him as a person prevented me from codeswitching and utilizing his terribly phrased and inaccessible advice.

But in my case, it took talking with a therapeutic professional to let go of some of the stress, anger, and coping mechanisms that were driving my diet into the "red zone" (along with some other maladaptive behavior beyond the scope of MFP generally)
  • Aquaburry
    Options
    So I was underweight and unhealthy. I was 85 lbs and 5'2, female, 19. I took it upon myself to grow up and get some damn help. So I scouted out my own doctor and nutritionist and left the pediatrician I had as a kid. Now I go see my nutritionist (RD, LDN) once a week, but as of late we are conflicting.

My worst issue with her is she keeps body shaming me, more or less, making me feel bad about having ice cream when I was physically emaciated and now telling me against my doctor's word that I am somehow damaging my liver by eating ice cream. God, what did I do wrong? Do you think I truly messed my liver up? I mean, it IMPROVED with the 10 lbs, not declined! I feel so ashamed because of this woman and I am more and more depressed every day, but only because of HER.

When I told her she was stressing me out, she told me to go see a therapist.

Well no therapy is going to help me figure out what is wrong with my stupid liver, so what gives?

You would probably benefit from a therapist not because this person says you need one, but as a general "quarterback" for the team that's helping you and a touchstone for yourself. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater because someone snarkily suggested it.

Your nutritionist (not to defend her manner) is probably not used to people with your particular set of goals and background,. I doubt she's shaming you on purpose, but rather she's working in a realm where she isn't specialized. Scientifically speaking, I would not like to be "in a corner" where obviously the gains you saw need re-enforced, but doing that re-enforcement means praising a diet that's 2/3s desert. A classically trained nutritionist would (and for many OTHER PATIENTS, should) find it difficult. She's dealing with the instinct to tell you "ten pounds is good...but...

Where something technically, pedantically correct about how it could have been more normative food choices follows the "but."

In her mind, she's likely turned the ship (you) to the north, generally, and now wants to turn it a bit to the east, because North is good, North is the right general direction, but the rudder could use a tap to conform with her textbook, which says "North and a little east"

She likely doesn't understand that you are in a position where "North" and "North East" feel very different and "I know last week I said north, you made progress with north, but now I'm thinking Northeast" feels like a wishy-washy reversal, and jerking the rudder around too much endangers the whole voyage.

Like many mainstream medical professionals, she's trained to give you accurate scientific advice, but probably not trained at all on HOW to deliver, modify, or qualify it - thus, it's not always going to be compassionate or productive. If you're lost in the clouds and ask me where you are and I yell up "in a hot air balloon" I haven't "technically" done anything wrong, but I'm not being useful to YOU in YOUR situation.

You are "the customer" and always have the right to change out any member of your medical team for any reason (right down to not liking their aftershave), and you probably should seek a new start with a new nutritionist,...that said, I'd like to re-iterate that a therapeutic professional in the ED realm may actually be able to help you interact with medical professionals whose training is mainly clinical and not relational. He or she would be able to hear out your concerns in full and not try give you cookie cutter, one-size-fits-all (badly) advice.

My family doctor is very good, generally, but his advice on weight to my (overweight) self was always "Just lose weight"

He's a friend of my family and I see him outside of work and understand that it frustrates and scares him that people won't do what seems simple to him, but even having that understanding of him as a person prevented me from codeswitching and utilizing his terribly phrased and inaccessible advice.

But in my case, it took talking with a therapeutic professional to let go of some of the stress, anger, and coping mechanisms that were driving my diet into the "red zone" (along with some other maladaptive behavior beyond the scope of MFP generally)

Woah haha lots of analogies here...but I get what you're saying. I know in retrospect I should probably have laid off the desserts...but you know what she told me? A calorie is a calorie and 'you desperately need to gain weight.' What else would I do? Why should I regret it?

Its a lot different for someone to look at it from my starving perspective. I mean do you know what it is like to not be able to even LOOK at pie for two years and then suddenly someone promises and REASSURES you that you can eat as much pie as you want and gain the same amount as if you ate the same weight in spinach and chicken breast? Cause that is what she told me, so you know what I did! I ate the pie.

Long story short, I appreciate the advice, and see where she is likely coming from with her nutrition in mind, but I do NOT appreciate the way she told me one thing (eat what you want, you're dying of starvation) and then when I came back 10 lbs heavier she said something which translated to ME as "Wow! Way to screw up your body!" I know it might and likely is my perception, but that is still how she communicates to ME. So I am seeking out a more sensitive, relaxed dietician. I am calling the new one tomorrow! She is also a therapist.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am calling the new one tomorrow! She is also a therapist.

This is excellent. :flowerforyou:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Follow through on her suggestion of rounding up a therapist... and have the therapist pick your dietician's replacement.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I am calling the new one tomorrow! She is also a therapist.

This is excellent. :flowerforyou:

Agreed! Way to take a difficult situation and let it motivate you to do even better! That's the best attitude! Good luck on your journey! :drinker:
  • Aquaburry
    Options
    Follow through on her suggestion of rounding up a therapist... and have the therapist pick your dietician's replacement.

good idea!!
  • rhonamac1973
    Options
    A couple things stand out about this post...

Based on the outrage in your post, the length of your post and the fact that you are crying over a 10 pound gain on a body that very much needs it, I think you are being oversensitive. This is totally normal for people who have, or are recovering from, eating disorders. We are not in the room with you when she is saying this to you but, to me, it doesn't sound like she is intentionally trying to body shame you.

Think about why you feel the way that you do. Think about why you are getting so upset. What is the root cause of the issue?

If you are unhappy with your dietitian, find a new one. Life is too short. Just know that any dietitian is going to frankly discuss what you are eating and how it is impacting your body. Criticism is not shaming.

THIS ^^
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Tell your doc about what the nutritionist is doing and get a referral to a different one. The doc needs to know the one you have is no good for anorexics.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Who was the person that made those awful comments?

OP, I'm so happy you are finding a new professional. I wish you the best of luck and know that you can totally beat this!!:flowerforyou:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I really suggest everyone stop engaging the asshats among and actually use the report button. For the sake of the OP who doesn't need the MFing trash on her post.

LOL, I was trying to figure out who the "asshat" was because all i am seeing is quotes of someone talking when they shouldn't be and others responding to that person. Then I realized, I must have them blocked. Still don't know who it is because I have a few people blocked. :laugh:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I really suggest everyone stop engaging the asshats among and actually use the report button. For the sake of the OP who doesn't need the MFing trash on her post.

LOL, I was trying to figure out who the "asshat" was because all i am seeing is quotes of someone talking when they shouldn't be and others responding to that person. Then I realized, I must have them blocked. Still don't know who it is because I have a few people blocked. :laugh:

Actually, their posts have been removed b/c we were all reporting them. :happy:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Actually, their posts have been removed b/c we were all reporting them. :happy:

Ahh, that makes sense now. I thought I should be able to see that a blocked user was posting, just not see what they are posting. Thanks,
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with the Report button; just use the Ignore function.

Under everyone's avatar there is a small down arrow. Click it. Choose "Ignore User."

Use this liberally for a few days and you'll almost never see trolls (and then you won't have to feed them).

Edit: Also, if you feel you MUST reply to a troll, don't copy their text. These negative comments would be gone had all those people not quoted them in full, making THOSE people the trolls.