Is it okay to have a treat?

Options
If you stay within your calorie goal? Today I just HAD to have a pack of swiss cake rolls (2). It is 420 calories for 2 of them. Is it okay once in awhile to do this?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I make room for a treat daily!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Definitely! If you deprive yourself of things that you enjoy long enough, it will come back to avenge itself through binging, followed by guilt and subsequently more binging. I've save room in my journal for a DQ ice cream cone with the kid at least once a week - not a big deal.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a good idea to have a treat planned and counted into your daily calories. Much better than being very restrictive in your eating which will lead to a binge.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If it's wrong I don't wanna be right ;-)

But seriously...while I have FREQUENT treats, I have come to try to get a little balance in there. I may occasionally have a 500 cal custard concrete on a busy, activity-packed Saturday but on other days, a 150 calorie, carefully measured 1/2 cup scoop of ice cream or one 65 cal square of chocolate. Or two.

By no means do I think a 420 cal packet of Swiss cake rolls is automatically a terrible choice for you, OP, but I do think it would be a bad option as a DAILY treat, mainly because that's a pretty big percentage of most peoples' daily calories so you might forfeit better nutrition and/or feel less satisfied having that. I get that you aren't doing it daily though. Sounds totally fine!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I treat myself all the time, and I lost over 50 pounds. Just keep track of your calories.
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Oreos and I eat something Oreo themed every single day, whether it is one 60 cal cookie or an oreo pop tart when I've got loads of cals.

The point is to make this last forever, and there is no way I am giving up Oreos forever, so they have to work in!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    If you can do that then its totally ok! I do not have the self control lol I'm an all or none kinda girl so I can't do that in my day-to-day, instead I plan 1 cheat meal a week to have something "bad".
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Most definitely! Just don't overdo it and go over your calorie count. It can ruin your progress :D Enjoy life and food
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Take me to Olive Garden- try n stop me from having a breadstick. I frickin' dare you.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Perfectly fine...
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Totes. Treats keep this lifestyle maintainable.
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes!

I'm just starting out but I have not given up everything I love to eat. I wouldn't stick with a diet if I tried.
  • jspanman
    jspanman Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, treats keep the body guessing. Over indulgence is not good though! Self control required.
  • KCMission
    KCMission Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My motto - Moderation, NOT deprivation.

There is no food that is "BAD" for you - but there is TOO MUCH food that is bad for you.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat, just plan for a treat!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options

The point is to make this last forever, and there is no way I am giving up Oreos forever, so they have to work in!

This^^^. You just learn to work in the treats. Occasionally, you eat something and think "that wasn't worth what I went through to fit that in to my diet today". That's how you tell what you really love...was it worth the effort to fit it in.

Yes, exactly. It's got to be worth it. The only time I get upset is if I have some crappy treat somewhere that I didn't enjoy that much. ... Planned treats are the way to go. Plan to have the treats you love and try to fit them into your calorie count.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'm having a cupcake after dinner. Along with some baby carrots and a bit of dip.

Usually I have a treat daily. Sometimes a cupcake. Sometimes a cookie, or ice cream, or a number of other things. I don't want to never eat these things again. They will stay a part of my diet. So better to learn NOW how to get them to fit then later on.
  • rachelr0875
    Options
    Thank you all so much :)
  • Bogditzy
    Bogditzy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yup, as long as it fits within your macros / caloric goal.

Ate today 100g of Frozen Yogurt (ice cream) - (160 cal) - yummmy ;)
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What works for me (so far) is to pre-log a treat into the diary for the next day. I do that with dinner, too. It stops the "what shall I have to eat" dilemma and gives me flexibility for breakfast and lunch.