What the Hell does "Snogging" mean?

Options

Replies

• jonny310580
    jonny310580 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In the UK, fanny is slang for vagina. Be wary!!

I was waiting on someone saying that!!

And where you're from, every c**t uses the c word with reckless abandon! :D

In my experience the C word is considered very offensive in the UK, a colleague once used it in an outburst and there was an obvious gasp from everyone is earshot. Myself and people I know don't use it, in less someone is really really really really angry/outraged/fuming!

Agreed it's a horrible word and shouldn't really be used in any circumstances!!
  • luthergravy
    Options
    Lets not mix cockney ryming slang into the british language for our american friends...

Rhyming slang is everywhere mate, not just within the sound of Bow Bells - and many well-used English language colloqualisms stem from it.

The term 'berk', for example, isn't necessarily commonly associated with rhyming slang anymore, although that's its origin. And new slang words are introduced from all over the country, not just London.... putting on a pair of Lionels, going for a ruby... having a quick Barclays or Jodrell ;-) I'd say all of these are very bit as valid as colloquialisms as, say, a term like "the dog's b0ll0cks" that is not related to rhyming slang.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lets not mix cockney ryming slang into the british language for our american friends...

Rhyming slang is everywhere mate, not just within the sound of Bow Bells - and many well-used English language colloqualisms stem from it.

The term 'berk', for example, isn't necessarily commonly associated with rhyming slang anymore, although that's its origin. And new slang words are introduced from all over the country, not just London.... putting on a pair of Lionels, going for a ruby... having a quick Barclays or Jodrell ;-) I'd say all of these are very bit as valid as colloquialisms as, say, a term like "the dog's b0ll0cks" that is not related to rhyming slang.

Yes but we are not trying to teach the "Americans" about the origins of the English language, Just giving them a couple of tips of what means what.

All I was trying to do is stop people asking an American to guess what "Apples and Pears" means in England... haha
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Lets not mix cockney ryming slang into the british language for our american friends... What I love is, when I speak to an american on say the playstation etc.. and they say to me "Learn to speak english..." Can you explain how that works? as you took our language and you use it lazy?
    The irony is strong with this post.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    Grammar, Punctuation and lazy typing are all completely different to speaking... not everything has to be in perfect english to be understood. Im not getting marked or anything am I?
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Got it.

My dirty mind went much further south when I heard the term the first time...

Gotta love the language barrier. I still crack up when I hear someone offer someone a "biscuit." I'm thinking sausage gravy whenever when I hear it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Grammar, Punctuation and lazy typing are all completely different to speaking... not everything has to be in perfect english to be understood. Im not getting marked or anything am I?
    I'm an editor. I'm judging you in my head. :wink:
  • luthergravy
    Options

Are the Yanks allowed the same leeway, then? Or is their use of the language just 'lazy' ;-)
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    I am talking about speech... You know exactly what I mean, but yet your desire to get a rise out of me?

And being a editor allows you to judge people! haha.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I am talking about speech... You know exactly what I mean, but yet your desire to get a rise out of me?

It allows me to judge people's grammar, punctuation and spelling. I mean, it's in the job definition.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options

It allows me to judge people's grammar, punctuation and spelling. I mean, it's in the job definition.

Yes and In a way i agree, but this is just a social forum, meaningless, But I understand!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

So what do you call what we call pants... do you refer to them by the style (jeans, khakis, etc)? What if you have a collection of different styles, how do you refer to the group (ie "Can you put these pants in the washer")?

We Just call them trousers. If the person is wearing jeans then we call them jeans. It's pretty funny for us when Americans refer to trousers as pants haha

Well, what the heck are knickers then?
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    Womens underwear.
  • rml_16
    Options

Yes and In a way i agree, but this is just a social forum, meaningless, But I understand!
    That's why I only judge in my head. :wink:
  • kateneyxx
    kateneyxx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    pants are trousers mostly!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Womens underwear.

So pants are men's underwear and knickers are women's underwear?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying if you're going to denigrate Americans' use of language, you might want to make sure you know the difference between an adjective and an adverb. I'm not busting your chops; I just appreciate irony.

I, for one, get tetchy whenever someone says "Learn to speak English" to anyone. I'm linguistically pro-choice. Unless they're being paid, nobody is obligated to make themselves understandable to you.
  • luthergravy
    Options

I don't know what you mean, fella. You (gently) criticised Americans for lazy use of the language and then do exactly the same yourself but somehow that's different? And what, you're allowed to type loosely but not allowed to speak that way? No, I don't get it, to be honest with you.

The initial view you posted, which I would paraphrase as being along the lines of "it's our language and you lot use it lazily" is something that dwi i ddim yn deall!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Womens underwear.

So pants are men's underwear and knickers are women's underwear?

Pants can be men's or women's underwear, but knickers tend just to be women's.