Keto Diet is king for droping lbs

Options
1235»

Replies

• itprofessional1940
    Options
    The Wolverine,

I wanted to thank you for your post, I agree with everything you said, a one diet fits all is not necessarily true. I am just trying to put out information that will help people with a higher fat percentage or people trying to cut down to very low fat percentages, see what diet is best for them, and that works very well. I agree, there are always two sides of every diet, and they will have to decide on what is best for them.

Thanks,
  • itprofessional1940
    Options
    Mnercesian,

I agree, I left out water is a major part of the diet, how can one imply that water was an implied part of the diet. I will add this to the overall article and make sure it is mentioned on my other blogs also. And thank you for posting the subjective statements, "alot, ect and many other errors. I am improving my argumentive writing skills, I am always open to constructive criticism.

Thanks,
  • itprofessional1940
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I realize that you chose this diet, but many others still believe this diet may or may not be the right diet for them. I believe I will have to write a journal about how quick one can gain muscle and lose fat on this diet. I see that is there are some definate issues to choosing a diet that puts carbs at an all time low of 5%, to put your body into a ketosis like effect.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Why would you do any diet that is "not the healthiest" and time-limited to 3-4 months to avoid causing damage? Egads, man.
  • emsainz23
    Options
    Now, reason why the fat content is so high, yes high fat is good, is because during your transition, carbs will be absent. The fat fills you up
    False: Protein is the most satiating macro nutrient.Not fat.
    Broscience is what created the high-carbohydrate diet epidemic, and it’s the culprit behind countless of hours of dietary torture.
    false: So people in the gym(small minority) influenced the nations eating habits?
    These carbohydrates are a godsend for the food industry, they produce high profits with little overhead; after all, all you need is some Genetically modified corn (GMO) along with a ton of chemicals, and there you have yourself some toxic fruit sugars.
    False: Fruit sugar isn’t toxic. For over 30yrs researches have not found an issue with GMOs.
    The Evolutionary Diet creates a homeostatic environment where you naturally maximize your levels of testosterone,
    False: This was concluded by patients low in testosterone got a raise in testosterone to normal levels. This hasn’t been proven in people with healthy testosterone levels.
    As an alternative to using glucose and glycogen, the body now starts using triglycerides (your bodyfat) and free fatty acids.
    False: a ketogenic diet uses fatty acids in the blood stream, this is dietary fat, not body fat. Also implies it’s still about calories.
    The Evolutionary Diet creates a highly anabolic environment,
    false: this diet is a calorie restricted diet, and a ketogenic diet. This results in lower insulin levels, which decreases an anabolic environment.
    Basically, in the “Shift Phase” from Monday through Saturday, you will be eating a very high fat diet, medium protein and virtually no carbs. On the weekend, Sunday, you’ll be eating a lot of carbohydrates to shock your body and force it to become anabolic. In essence, from Monday-Saturday you’ll be in ketosis
    false: after a high carb day your body will be in ketosis? No, it takes a few days to get in to ketosis.

I can go on, but obviously this guy is a quack. I am personally doing a a similar diet. This diet(The Evolutionary Diet) is pretty much a CKD(Cylical Ketosis Diet) which was invented a long time ago. This is just a rip off of that. This dietary protocol can be found in the book “The Anabolic Diet”

The health claims of this diet. This diet is healthy for some people. Anytime someone loses weight their health improves. This has been proven through all types of diets, from atkins to low fat high carb. Find a diet that you can stick with and that you enjoy. We’re all different in this sense.
  • itprofessional1940
    Options
    Now, reason why the fat content is so high, yes high fat is good, is because during your transition, carbs will be absent. The fat fills you up
    Broscience is what created the high-carbohydrate diet epidemic, and it’s the culprit behind countless of hours of dietary torture.
    false: So people in the gym(small minority) influenced the nations eating habits?
    These carbohydrates are a godsend for the food industry, they produce high profits with little overhead; after all, all you need is some Genetically modified corn (GMO) along with a ton of chemicals, and there you have yourself some toxic fruit sugars.
    False: Fruit sugar isn’t toxic. For over 30yrs researches have not found an issue with GMOs.
    The Evolutionary Diet creates a homeostatic environment where you naturally maximize your levels of testosterone,
    False: This was concluded by patients low in testosterone got a raise in testosterone to normal levels. This hasn’t been proven in people with healthy testosterone levels.
    As an alternative to using glucose and glycogen, the body now starts using triglycerides (your bodyfat) and free fatty acids.
    False: a ketogenic diet uses fatty acids in the blood stream, this is dietary fat, not body fat. Also implies it’s still about calories.
    false: this diet is a calorie restricted diet, and a ketogenic diet. This results in lower insulin levels, which decreases an anabolic environment.
    Basically, in the “Shift Phase” from Monday through Saturday, you will be eating a very high fat diet, medium protein and virtually no carbs. On the weekend, Sunday, you’ll be eating a lot of carbohydrates to shock your body and force it to become anabolic. In essence, from Monday-Saturday you’ll be in ketosis
    false: after a high carb day your body will be in ketosis? No, it takes a few days to get in to ketosis.

I can go on, but obviously this guy is a quack. I am personally doing a a similar diet. This diet(The Evolutionary Diet) is pretty much a CKD(Cylical Ketosis Diet) which was invented a long time ago. This is just a rip off of that. This dietary protocol can be found in the book “The Anabolic Diet”

The health claims of this diet. This diet is healthy for some people. Anytime someone loses weight their health improves. This has been proven through all types of diets, from atkins to low fat high carb. Find a diet that you can stick with and that you enjoy. We’re all different in this sense.

First off, I am not a quack, its easier to list negatives, and I am glad you did your research but I am hear trying to help people with this diet. In dieting, and in science, false statements like you listed above, are many times proven true after more research. Sometime, the researcher has there own bias involved, yes, meaning I can have bias in my article but all I am trying to do is tell you about a diet that has help many soldiers here on base. I can disagree with many things you posted, and back it up with research. The most important thing here is that people need to get on a diet that is efficient and can work. The reason why I have this article is because it has helped many people lose much wieght. Although other diets work, I am promoting a diet that has worked for many people I know.
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My neurologist tried to put me on this diet to stop having seizures: that's right, it was meant to be a diet to put your body into ketosis for it's anti-epileptic effects. The kids they had on the diet had problems growing and lost weight so someone figured hey, this must be a great weight loss diet (I'm assuming here but you know). I tried it but it was way to restrictive for a diet I would have to keep up for the rest of my life. Your diet should not be difficult or unnecessarily restrictive- otherwise you will not stick to it. That is the most successful diet: the one that you will stick to. For most people, they cannot stay in ketosis long term or even for the medium term.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Because Keto is so restrictive, you need to take supplements so your body can have proper nutrients. You also need to get blood work done every 3 months, before and after the diet because your cholesterol levels will spike (not the good ones). Also if you consume too much protein, it will turn into glucose which your body will treat it as extra carbs. Once you lose all the weight, how will you maintain? You can not do this diet forever, like you said a few months max. You haven't learned anything about calorie control when you want to keep your steady weight. The pounds will pile back on.
    I don't agree that you lose 50% muscle on high carb, I've built muscle without limiting my carb intake.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    <snip>

First off, I am not a quack, its easier to list negatives, and I am glad you did your research but I am hear trying to help people with this diet. In dieting, and in science, false statements like you listed above, are many times proven true after more research. Sometime, the researcher has there own bias involved, yes, meaning I can have bias in my article but all I am trying to do is tell you about a diet that has help many soldiers here on base. I can disagree with many things you posted, and back it up with research. The most important thing here is that people need to get on a diet that is efficient and can work. The reason why I have this article is because it has helped many people lose much wieght. Although other diets work, I am promoting a diet that has worked for many people I know.

Other than being a soldier and knowing some people who did keto, do you have any credentials in fitness and/or nutrition whatsoever? Because this community is already pretty packed to the gills with self-proclaimed health experts who lost a few pounds, read a few articles, and now think they are some kind of authority who everyone should listen to because they wrote a blog. Proclaiming that one diet is superior to other diets for fat loss because you know a guy who had more success on that diet than other diets he tried is specious reasoning at best.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree, it does allow you to adhere to a deficit, but there are advantages of having a keto/low carb diet, as you can see I just posted the study that this diet is very effective, actually was recommended by my doctor for wieght loss before my upcoming PT test. Yes, I can post the results of my progress, before and after pics. I will post them later tonight.

AlHornsby, I am not saying that its just easier for me, all I am saying is that this diet is very effective, not just from me but for everyone. Actually, reason why I posted it on here is because for the obese and the few people that just want to lose some fat in a very efficient way, this diet is for them.

And I am not doing anything but trying to help others and sharing my knowledge, I just want others to see the same results I have.

Thanks,

This issue with the bold, it's not effective for everyone. Not everyone can go low carb or keto. Not everyone can do restrictive diets. Personally, if I eat less than 200g of carbs a day, my workouts really suffer; to the point, where I can barely finish a 30 minute workout. Personally, when I do a diet based off of restriction, i end up binging. So not, it's not effective for everyone. It's effective for those who can follow the plan. The only thing that matters to achieving a goal is diet adherence. If you goal is to lose weight and you can't adhere to a deficit, you will fail.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Having lost weight on Atkins after struggling to lose on the standard American diet, I've no doubt a ketogenic diet is better than a diet filled with wheat, corn, and soy. None. And it is, bar none, the best appetite suppressing diet out there.

However, a vegan diet is working wonderfully for me at the moment as well. A wheat and corn free, rare soy (tofu) processed food free vegan diet.

The vegan diet lacks the appetite suppressing qualities, however, I've noticed I have more energy than on the ketogenic diet. Over the past few weeks, my net has been over what used to be my maintenance by around 100 calories but I didn't gain weight (much to my surprise and delight). I finally figured out it was because I was less happy in my chair. Instead I look for any excuse to get up and move around, go downstairs, step outside (the mail lady must think I'm waiting on a check) and in general be active in addition to far more exercise than usual (and I ate those calories back).

In addition, the meat industry is heavily funded by the taxpayer. If it weren't for subsidies, only the rich would ever be able to afford a steak. It's vegetables and fruit that should be heavily subsidized. That is more sustainable. And corn, soy, and sugar growers should receive no subsidies at all.
  • emsainz23
    Options

It does help people, I want to help people too. As you talked about “broscience” and how it messes people up. Broscience is false claims. We’re both on the same side, we want to help people. The issues is false claims that have been made. I think this is a big problem as well through the community. People start to do things that are unnecessary and it gives a person a problem. This can lead to failure in the long run. The diet you listed out is fine, nothing wrong with it. As I said, I am doing pretty much the same thing. I do agree it’s not for everyone. I am just saying, the issue was some claims that have been made. When you see a statement about a diet, research should go in to it to verify if it’s true or not.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I'm posting this as advice to actually assist you.
    First of all, you should look up the meaning of the word "quack."
    Your posts most definitely are of someone who promotes unproven medical practices.
    Perhaps this Keto Diet is king IN YOUR LIMITED EXPERIENCE, but your limited experience does not qualify you as a weight loss expert.

Secondly, I'm not sure what kind of "journal" that you are referring to; you are certainly entitled to "journal" your thoughts and feelings in a notebook, an online blog, something like that.
    However, if you believe that your findings will be published in a reputable medical, health, fitness, etc. publication, you are mistaken. IF that is something that you are interested in pursuing, go back to school.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    The post was way to long. Did not read. Nothing is "the king for dropping lbs" besides a caloric deficit. If you are in ketosis and eat more calories in a day then you burn, you'll not lose weight. You can substitute any word or diet for ketosis in that last sentence and it's still true. Any time you lose weight over the long term it's because of a calorie deficit. Keto works wonders for some because it makes it easier for them to adhere to a calorie deficit. The issue is, most people struggle when transitioning out of the keto diet and gain back much if not all of what they lost. I prefer a much less restrictive form of dieting that has a much easier transition to maintenance once weight is lost.

This^^. 100%.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    People need to know that there is a small risk of going into ketoacidosis when doing a ketosis diet. As for the science behind it, it does work. I am a type 1 diabetic, and, because I was producing very little insulin, my body was in a ketosis-like state before diagnosis. This is the reason why I ended up losing a ton of weight initially (I believe 60 pounds in 3 months) and why one of the main symptoms of type 1 diabetes is unexplained and rapid weight loss.

This is a quick anatomy lesson. The pancreas produces insulin as a part of the endocrine system. Insulin is like the key to open cells in order to allow glucose -sugar- into them to be used as energy. Without insulin, glucose builds up in the blood, and the body needs to look for an alternative source of fuel. Because glucose cannot be used for energy, whether from no insulin or very low-carb diets, the body results to burning fat for fuel. This is like using oil to heat a home -it is not a very clean process, and it produces ketones (primarily acetoacedic acid and acetone) as a byproduct. Ketones are slightly acidic, and too many ketones in the blood can cause ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis is life-threatening if not treated right away.

Yes, a ketosis diet can help aid in weight loss, but I personally do not want to take the risk of it. If I am on one, all it takes is one high BG that begins producing ketones, and I could be back in the hospital being treated for DKA.