Margarine vs Butter?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your calorie and macro goals it's largely irrelevant/personal taste.

I have marge on my toast (it spreads better from the fridge) and cook with butter (obviously tastier for sauces)..

Butter, baby. All day long. Fat macros on lock.

What does this sentence even mean?

ALL THE BUTTER ALL DAY LONG!!!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I use margarine. I haven't found spreadable, unsalted butter over here. If I can't have the salt, butter is, in this instance, pointless.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I will not have margarine in my house - I don't trust the processed fat - eat real food and butter is real food - there is no real difference in the cals any way. plus it tastes really good
  • robot_khamscott
    robot_khamscott Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use butter. Margarine is hydrogenated fat which our body doesn't know how to process (we don't have the right enzymes to break it down) so it stays in the system for longer and can contribute to build up of fatty deposits.

I used to use marg but in my recent research for a lesson I was teaching (newly qualified science teacher) i found out all this scary stuff about the molecular structure that literally shocked me seeing as they sell this stuff as a "healthy" alternative.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Butter, all the way!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I use butter. Margarine is hydrogenated fat which our body doesn't know how to process (we don't have the right enzymes to break it down) so it stays in the system for longer and can contribute to build up of fatty deposits.

I used to use marg but in my recent research for a lesson I was teaching (newly qualified science teacher) i found out all this scary stuff about the molecular structure that literally shocked me seeing as they sell this stuff as a "healthy" alternative.

Right, so nobody who ate marg ever got lean and stayed lean? Right?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So my question is... What do you think? What do you use?

Mostly olive oil, sometimes butter, never margarine. If I'm trying to save calories, I just use less (like you can usually get away with the spray olive oil for lots of things).

Oh, always unsalted butter, too. I add salt when cooking, but like to be in control of how much.
  • DisinteGr4tion
    DisinteGr4tion Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMM BUTTER!!!!!!!

1280px-Western-pack-butter.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    also since we are talking substitutions- I've been using the hell out of my bacon lard that I save and refrigerate.

Saves me at least 5$ in butter a month- and sure bacon is expensive- but if I can JUST by bacon, which I would be eating anyway- and NOT buy butter- then I'm saving that money.
  • mspianomistress
    Options
    Butter all the way! I feel better when I avoid most processed foods, and margarine is highly processed. Extra virgin olive oil and unrefined coconut oil are also excellent. I haven't bought margarine in years. If you don't like the salt in butter, you can buy unsalted.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I don't have anything against margarine, but I much prefer the taste of butter. I actually use clarified butter (ghee) for high-heat cooking most of the time because it smokes at a much higher temp than butter.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Health goes beyond being lean and I'm pretty sure the poster you're quoting was referring to health reasons to avoid margarine and hydrogenated fat. If body composition was the only indicator of health, competitive bodybuilding would be the epitome of healthiness, yet competitive bodybuilding is generally a fairly unhealthy activity for a variety of reasons. There are valid, health-related reasons to reduce or altogether avoid sources of trans fat like stick margarine.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Organic and unsalted butter. I can always add salt and like to control the quantity and quality. I haven’t used margarine in my cooking for several years.

I also like to mix things up and use Ghee, coconut oil, olive oil and/or avocado oil.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Health goes beyond being lean and I'm pretty sure the poster you're quoting was referring to health reasons to avoid margarine and hydrogenated fat. If body composition was the only indicator of health, competitive bodybuilding would be the epitome of healthiness, yet competitive bodybuilding is generally a fairly unhealthy activity for a variety of reasons. There are valid, health-related reasons to reduce or altogether avoid sources of trans fat like stick margarine.

Actually the OP said she switched to butter and was surprised that she still lost weight. So yeah, she discovered that weightloss is about calories and macros.

I've eaten lard, butter and marge my whole life. I am healthy by any definition of the word. My parents who are nudging their eighties have eaten this way pre/during/post war until now. In fact, post-war, eggs, butter marge, cooking fat were all rationed and people had to make a mix of all kinds of things to get by. They have turned out to be the longest-lived (and most vital at an advanced age) of any generation so far.

I think people discover eating styles like a new religion. It's all fire and brimstone and the non-believer shall be cast out. Yeah well, I've got news for you. You didn't just discover how to be healthy. And you can find studies that say all kinds of crap is bad (or good). In the seventies it was eggs. Remember that? Recently bacon's gonna give you cancer. Who knows what they're going to tell you next after they study 11 (read it: 11) sedentary 60 year olds. Or whatever. And you're insane if you think that insert-hallowed-food-here consumption makes you better/healthier than someone else. Balance your diet according to your macro/calorie needs and you'll be fine. Unless you're eating cyanide or something, then you're probably ****ed.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Real butter. I simply don't like the taste of margarine. It tastes like sadness.

I have used the fake stuff on occasion to cook a kosher meal or for people with other dietary restrictions.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Just because scientists have been wrong in the past doesn't mean that science should be disregarded. There's quite a bit of evidence weighing against trans fat consumption, and personally I wouldn't dismiss it just because of some anecdotal evidence about some people who are currently healthy yet they have eaten trans fat in the past. I've known unhealthy people that lived well into their 90s and healthy people that didn't make it past 50. Trying to draw conclusions from anecdotal evidence isn't going to get you anywhere, and just because you can be lean while eating lots of trans fats doesn't mean it's healthy to eat lots of trans fats.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Butter, butter, butter...

Although I just started cooking with organic unrefined coconut oil and I kinda like it....
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Just because scientists have been wrong in the past doesn't mean that science should be disregarded. There's quite a bit of evidence weighing against trans fat consumption, and personally I wouldn't dismiss it just because of some anecdotal evidence about some people who are currently healthy yet they have eaten trans fat in the past. I've known unhealthy people that lived well into their 90s and healthy people that didn't make it past 50. Trying to draw conclusions from anecdotal evidence isn't going to get you anywhere, and just because you can be lean while eating lots of trans fats doesn't mean it's healthy to eat lots of trans fats.

I guess there's science and there's science. Dietary studies are often poorly framed and then widely misunderstood.

I guess you'd have to tell me what you think is "healthy" if it can kill a 50 year old.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Real unsalted butter for cooking and baking. The spreadable butter with olive oil on rolls or baked sweet potatoes. I have full-fat margarine in the house only when I"m baking certain Christmas cookies and want a specific texture. Low-fat margarine is an abomination.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If I am going to spend 100 calories on fat, it is going to be something tasty. Butter all the way!