Women with non dieting husbands

Options
12346»

Replies

• MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I cook. He eats what I cook. He has said it many times... He will eat what I cook or he will cook. He has cooked MAYBE 5 times in 5 years...and he's fine, in fact he's a U.S Marine.

I won't make 2-3 different dinners, that is torture. I will make something different for my 5 yr old if I KNOW she HATES it and has tried it many many times.

He loves you, he will eat whatever. If not...less work for you.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My husband and 4 kids also can eat and eat and eat and never gain an ounce. So, what I do is usually I will make MY dinner first and eat it before or while I am cooking for them. That way I am NOT hungry when their dinner is done. I can usually resist that way, if I am hungry forget it, I eat it and feel depressed the rest of the night LOL
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    How do you women with husbands who refuse to diet stay strong. Yesterday I was making a meal for my husband like I used to before I started trying to lose weight. It was chicken with macaroni and cheese, cornbread, and mashed potatoes. I am leaving for a couple of days so I decided to make it for him. I thought I could resist, I was doing so good all day and when I finished cooking I devoured a lot of it.... No moderation here. Now today I feel so disappointed in myself and sick to my stomach. So women how do you still make things for your husband without eating it. And oh yeah my husband is one of those people who can eat mcdonalds everyday and never exercise and never gain a pound while I have gained 15.

I make the same foods for both of us. I just don't eat two servings. I usually start off with a huge salad and lots of water so by the time I get to the meat and potatoes, I'm not that hungry.
  • NWfluffy
    NWfluffy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. My husband and 3 children all have high metabolisms (we're talking 12% body fat - I'm not making it up). I, on the other hand need about 1850 cal. a day to maintain. I too refuse to cook separately but have to respect that their nutritional needs are quite different from mine. That being said, I make at least one thing for each meal that I can eat lots of, usually a veggie dish. When they have tacos, I make a taco salad. I don't put cheese sauce on my broccoli, just theirs. We eat the same meat, I weigh mine carefully. I measure my pasta and rice carefully. It takes work, for sure. And pah! to those who say just use will power. If I had that I wouldn't be here in the first place!! Good luck!
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My husband & I eat basically the same stuff, but he loves macaroni & cheese...So I have started dividing the box into 3 servings and only cooking 1/3 of it at a time. This way there is only enough for him (minus a bite or two if I'm weak).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yeah - all men are b@st@rds - my brother was like that growing up - could eat anything anywhere anytime, and lose weight

:huh: :huh: :noway:
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Same food, different portions. He's bulking and I'm slimming. But we're both trying to get a lot of fiber and protein. So it's easy for us to decide on the foods we eat. But yep. Like others have said. Same stuff, smaller amounts.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb. My husband doesn't, and for dental reasons, can only really eat soft foods like pasta, spaghettios, mac-n-cheese and grilled cheese smothered in butter. I make his meals without the urge to sample it because I no longer really crave carby foods anymore. I can't explain it really. I just don't. My husband is going to be getting a ton of dental procedures, so once those are over with(6ish months from now. His first procedure is next week), he plans to join me in my low-carb lifestyle.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    We choose our meals together, but they are mostly my suggestion. We are both fairly adventurous, so it works for us. In fact, he just baked some pumpernickel bread over the weekend. I don't like pumpernickel so I wouldn't make it for him. I'm vegetarian, he isn't. He's welcome to eat what he likes, but he has to make it if I'm not interested. He also sometimes treats himself at lunch while he's at work.

I do sometimes make slightly healthier choices. Chili with no cheese or less cheese. Choosing to eat Indian food without he white rice.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb. My husband doesn't, and for dental reasons, can only really eat soft foods like pasta, spaghettios, mac-n-cheese and grilled cheese smothered in butter. I make his meals without the urge to sample it because I no longer really crave carby foods anymore. I can't explain it really. I just don't. My husband is going to be getting a ton of dental procedures, so once those are over with(6ish months from now. His first procedure is next week), he plans to join me in my low-carb lifestyle.

A bit off topic - but I have/had dental issues as well, and have gotten several implants. Last appointment to finish it all up is next week! It's so worth it :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't want to diet, but I'm the one who does the cooking and food shopping. As a result he eats what I make.

This.
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't want to eat what I am cooking - he cooks for himself.
    He is mature enough to know that we have different metabolism and needs and He wants to support me by helping me - and cooking for himself sometimes helps me stick to my plan.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    How do you women with husbands who refuse to diet stay strong. Yesterday I was making a meal for my husband like I used to before I started trying to lose weight. It was chicken with macaroni and cheese, cornbread, and mashed potatoes. I am leaving for a couple of days so I decided to make it for him. I thought I could resist, I was doing so good all day and when I finished cooking I devoured a lot of it.... No moderation here. Now today I feel so disappointed in myself and sick to my stomach. So women how do you still make things for your husband without eating it. And oh yeah my husband is one of those people who can eat mcdonalds everyday and never exercise and never gain a pound while I have gained 15.

my husband is trying to gain weight while i am trying to lose some bodyfat... i eat the same as him just smaller portions and just dont eat the extras like garlic bread or pudding when he does... if you want to lose weight you just need to exercise a bit of will power...

^This +1
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    My husband is a big(ish) guy and burns a ton of energy with his job. He often eats to gain weight and I do to lose (nearing maintain though). We eat the same stuff but I eat smaller portions. We also don't' generally eat a lot of junk food.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My bf is trying to gain weight while I lose and the man eats everything. There is always chips, poptarts, cookies, candy, ice cream, etc in my house. I just don't eat it. It's not worth it to me. Or if I want it I make it fit. The way I see it is I chose to change my habits not him so why should he be forced into it? It's easy make little switches at dinner without having to make two totally separate meals. Like if you are making pasta just make some spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles for yourself. Or like others have said have tacos and make yours a taco salad. The other thing I do to help account for those heavier dinners is I try to leave about half of my calories for the day for the evening. That way I can eat what I want, have a glass of wine, or be ok if we need to grab something quick. If I'm going to do this for ever then it's gotta work....for both of us!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

A bit off topic - but I have/had dental issues as well, and have gotten several implants. Last appointment to finish it all up is next week! It's so worth it :)

My husband is getting the hybridge implant on the top of his jaw and he's getting some cosmetic stuff on the bottom, along with maybe an implant or two to replace the molars in the back so he can eat. He's slowly being prepped for the hybridge, which will hopefully be put in by September/October. Such a long haul, but like you said, definitely worth it.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am responsible for myself and I don't point fingers at other people if I can't control myself.

I have also never let my diet cause problems between me and the people I care about.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well some of us have husbands who don't need to diet. I guess it's weird how some women expect their man to diet when they do to me for that reason. If your man is overweight I guess you think he should decide to diet when you do. Instead imagine that he didn't need to diet. Then maybe that will make it easier on you?

For me, I just eat what I should eat and not what I shouldn't. It only took me telling him once or twice that something was too much or too large a portion for him to get it. He never really controlled what I ate anyways, and when we met he was vegetarian and I was somersizing so we are both used to requesting special ordering at restaurants so he doesnn't flinch when I do it now.

There are so many options at food places nowadays that it's likely you can find what you need on any menu without having to limit his options.

As for what's kept at home, it's like work, or school, or holidays, you are going to have to look within yourself for the desire to stay motivated and keep to those things which you want to consume and not anything more.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bumpy
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I'm married to a guy who is hugely into eating healthy, but in the past (and during the loss of my first 45 lb before I joined this website) I was married to someone else, who was NOT a healthy eater. To be honest it was not a big struggle for me to cook for him. He liked the same stuff over & over, like crescent rolls or biscuits with every meal...broccoli cheese casserole (which I hate)...he would eat boxes of Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies every week. I guess looking back I was lucky that I didn't like the same things as he did or it might have been more of a challenge! If my husband (now) was constantly bringing home gigantic cups of boba tea or making pies nightly I would have a serious problem!!