Why can't am i getting worse at running

Options

Replies

• Luv2h1k3
    Luv2h1k3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i was running 2 miles half a month and i amped it up to 3 miles because 2 miles was fairly easy and now i just moved to another state and split up my 3 miles cause it fits better for my schedule

Where did you move to/from? If you moved someplace with a higher elevation, 3 miles might be a lot harder until your body adjusts.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Since it is getting harder to run instead of easier have you considered a medical issue? Maybe anemia or Vitamin D deficiency? What is your calorie intake? Are you fueling your body?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Why 3 every day? You run 3 miles everyday???

Try

Monday- 2
    Tuesday- 1
    Wednesday- 3
    Thursday- weights/rest??
    Friday- 2
    Saturday- rest
    Sunday-4
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've been running 3 miles straight for the past 2 weeks but now i moved and i split up the 3 miles to different parts of the day

Why bother with the low mileage twice a day? You're not getting out of it what you could if you ran once for longer. Not sure of your background, but with this method, I'm going to assume you're new to this and will say slow down, take more rest/recovery days, and quit with the bits and pieces running.

i split it up because i for the 1 mile i do HIIT but thats like twice a week and it fit my schedule better

You can't cannibalize your aerobic base-building and expect results...

so how do i increase my distance to 4 miles

You just claimed to have run a marathon. Why are you asking how to run 4 miles?

eqBPfoB.gif
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've been running 3 miles straight for the past 2 weeks but now i moved and i split up the 3 miles to different parts of the day

Why bother with the low mileage twice a day? You're not getting out of it what you could if you ran once for longer. Not sure of your background, but with this method, I'm going to assume you're new to this and will say slow down, take more rest/recovery days, and quit with the bits and pieces running.

i split it up because i for the 1 mile i do HIIT but thats like twice a week and it fit my schedule better

^^^ What he said

Maybe it was the kids 1K marathon ?!?
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    slow down the training. Run 1-2 miles at a time and when comfortable with your success - increase mileage. If you go to far to fast you burn out. More information as to how far, how long have you been running, how many miles a week ect. would be needed to do a just evaluation.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Too much running. Run every other day, once.

Yes
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 4 years on n off again (CC and track) and to stay fit for the summer I've been running 2 miles a day but moved up to 3. my mile time has gotten a minute faster but i still understand why I'm not building endurance cause i wanna run more miles :( i can't believe last year i did the LA marathon and now i can't even run 3 miles

Sounds like the issue is that you are training for speed instead of distance. Quit trying to run fast.
    Whatever pace you are running your 2 mile stretches at, slow that down by 2+ minutes per mile and then go for at least 4 miles.
    If you can't do that because your body insists on running fast, then run your 2 miles. Walk for 2 minutes, and then run again until you cant. Walk for 2 minutes, repeat, until you cover 4+ miles.
  • kevin9xo
    kevin9xo Posts: 25
    Options

i wasn't properly trained for the marathon i only ran up to 16 miles and I'm just asking for tips I'm not an expert so why are you being salty
  • kevin9xo
    Options
    just finished running and i went slower and was able to get to 3 miles but it was really boring
  • vmclach
    Options
    just finished running and i went slower and was able to get to 3 miles but it was really boring

Yup!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Why 3 every day? You run 3 miles everyday???

Try

Monday- 2
    Tuesday- 1
    Wednesday- 3
    Thursday- weights/rest??
    Friday- 2
    Saturday- rest
    Sunday-4

This looks like a good plan, long run and goal distance on Sunday. If you are bored, perhaps consider listening to a book, or music?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

i wasn't properly trained for the marathon i only ran up to 16 miles and I'm just asking for tips I'm not an expert so why are you being salty

Noticing the highly illogical and contradictory content of your posts isn't "being salty" ... it's being literate.
  • kevin9xo
    Options

Noticing the highly illogical and contradictory content of your posts isn't "being salty" ... it's being literate.

is it hard to understand that I've only cared about this now and I don't know anything about running except hearing my coach tell me to run.. and isn't this a site to help a person get fit so why are you people posting on this being short
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Maybe running isn't for you. Maybe consider geocaching, knitting, or fishing?
  • kevin9xo
    Options

wow if you are gonan be like this i don't get why you're even posting still lol u have nothing to do?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

is it hard to understand that I've only cared about this now and I don't know anything about running except hearing my coach tell me to run.. and isn't this a site to help a person get fit so why are you people posting on this being short

You claim you ran 16 miles of a marathon, but have no clue how to run four miles now. The cognitive disconnect required to believe that contradictory statement is truly fear inspiring.
  • vmclach
    Options

wow if you are gonan be like this i don't get why you're even posting still lol u have nothing to do?

What's your goal? I'm assuming you recently graduated & used to run XC & track?? Do you want to be faster at 800 meter?? 1 mile?? 2 miles? 5k?? Run a fast 1/2 or full?

What is it you want here?
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

You hit the nail on the head. You have to just ignore them.

I would try a few things. First, as others have suggested, don't run the same distance every single day. Have some easy days, longer days, and one or two rest days. One thing that always helped me is doing interval training. Sounds like you are doing that with HIIT, but I'm not sure. Have you heard of Fartlek's? It's a method of interval training that helped me advance my running quickly. Runners World magazine is a great resource for training tips.

Also, make sure you are eating enough to fuel your workouts. Don't try to go low-carb! You can eat a slight defecit if you are trying to lose weight but don't cut carbs. They are a runner's friend and there is research that shows you compromise your performance when you drastically cut carbs as an athlete. Eating before and after your workout can really help fuel your runs.

If you find that you are really, really tired/lethargic in a way that is new, I would also consult a doctor and get some blood work done, just to be on the safe side.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I'm just trying to figure out what you want. You've run a marathon and are now complaining of boredom after 3 miles and an inability to bore yourself for longer distances. Try cycling, I dunno. You sound like you have more experience running than I do, and probably most of the people offering you advice, hence why there's a disconnect here (or you're just a troll).