Calling all MFP "meanies"

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet: donuts contain L-cysteine, a non-essential amino acid made from dissolved human hair (often from China) or duck feathers.

Where it is: It's used as a commercial dough conditioner to improve the texture of breads and baked goods.

You're welcome :smile:

I have never heard more BS... :noway:
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • MeAnTtOBeThIn
    MeAnTtOBeThIn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Achooo...haha
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I did a brief stint working in a donut shop. I never ate another donut after that.

The glaze went into a big tray, set the donuts on the rack, run the glaze over them. That tray was only cleaned out on Monday. The rest of the week we were supposed to take two scrapers and try to manually remove all the old, congealed grease from the night before off the top of the glaze, then dump fresh glaze on top of it. During the week, assorted things like flies, bits of donuts, drops of sweat if one dude was working, and hair would wind up in the glaze. If we dumped it before Monday we got in trouble. So, if you ate a donut Saturday morning, rest assured it came with all the nasty bits that fell into the glaze since Monday.

That was a mom & pop place and it's still in business today, still doing things the same disgusting way they did when I worked there.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    my diabetic neighbour lost her sight and both legs...she was morbidly obese and I bet she ate the donuts....

don't eat the donuts for your health and welfare...it isn't even about weight loss
    ^This. My Dad is diabetic and almost had to have half his foot cut off because a wound wouldn't heal. He had stepped on a nail and hadn't felt it so it festered before it got noticed eventually.

So think of festering yucky foot wounds and how that would smell even! That's enough to keep me away from sugar today and I'm not even diabetic...
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    STEP AWAY FROM THE DONUTS!! Keep re-reading all the hilarious posts about co-worker hygiene, creepy-crawlies, and so on (personally, I find the creepy-crawly picture most helpful in these situations). So you can picture palmetto bugs (if you're not from the South, these look like GIANT cockroaches) crawling all over those donuts, and your co-workers actually picking them up and making pigs of themselves eating those roach-covered donuts.

Now, if you're still tempted, do 100 squats or lunges (the push-ups are a good idea, but the squats or lunges will wear you out more quickly).

Then, I will tell you from experience, if you do succumb and eat one of those donuts, it is REALLY not going to be as good as you think it's going to be (been there, done that).

Finally, when you do make it through the day WITHOUT eating those nasty roach-covered, icky tasting donuts, you will be thrilled with yourself for conquering the donut-demon AND you will have increased your will power. Resisting the office temptations is difficult, but it is possible. You can do it!
  • randomtai
    Options
    This whole thread is a example of such a healthy relationship with food. :noway:
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is a example of such a healthy relationship with food. :noway:

Meh, at least we're honest. Everyone has something they struggle with, it stands to reason that forums for a calorie tracker would have a lot of folks who are tempted by too much food.

FTR, I just sat in the break room for lunch and did not have a donut. And I'm not regretting it. So thanks for the help everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet: donuts contain L-cysteine, a non-essential amino acid made from dissolved human hair (often from China) or duck feathers.

Where it is: It's used as a commercial dough conditioner to improve the texture of breads and baked goods.

Sure, maybe the ones from Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, Tim Hortons, etc have that.
    But I highly doubt the ones from Neils in Wallingford CT, Holy Donut & Tony's in Portland ME, VooDoo Donuts in Portland OR, and the hundreds of other delicious mom& pop stores have that in there.
    I can tell you the ones I make at home don't have it.

And now, I really want a donut instead of an oatmeal craisin cookie, regardless of what amino acids are in it or not.

PS: Please provide proof of this statement you've made.

I must have missed the part where the OP stated the donuts were from a small mom-and-pop rather than a chain. My bad.

In any event, here is the proof you have requested: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5096206
    See under "how made" and then "specific uses". Now granted this USDA article (I hope the source's reputability meets with your approval) does state that L-Cysteine can also be derived chemically, I understood the point of this thread was to discourage the OP from the donut.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a box of Krispy Kremes to get through. :laugh:
    Edited:sp
  • randomtai
    Options

Meh, at least we're honest. Everyone has something they struggle with, it stands to reason that forums for a calorie tracker would have a lot of folks who are tempted by too much food.

FTR, I just sat in the break room for lunch and did not have a donut. And I'm not regretting it. So thanks for the help everyone. :flowerforyou:

Food isn't a struggle. It's just food. Fit it in your day and move on, or don't. These kind of threads encourage an unhealthy way of looking at food.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    DONUTS ARE A TOOL OF THE DEVIL!!

No, that's okra.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day it's a choice. How bad do you really want to lose weight? There's your motivation.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Eat the donut Claire, just do it. Come on, do it(okay a little Breakfast Club meets donut); on the days someone brings cream filled or jelly filled, take your finger and run it through the donuts, take the pics and e-mail them to everyone in the office. You'll probably have less donut days in the future. Best of luck, and eat the donut.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

Food isn't a struggle. It's just food. Fit it in your day and move on, or don't. These kind of threads encourage an unhealthy way of looking at food.

Food isn't a struggle for YOU. Please don't speak for me and I'll extend you the same courtesy. These kinds of threads acknowledge that a whole host of people have struggles with food. I would bet more people struggle than don't. I think most of us recognize its an unhealthy relationship and is part of the reason we found our way to MFP, but it is what it is. I needed a little extra support, asked for it, got it along with a few laughs, and appreciate it greatly. Would it have been the end of the world if I'd eaten the donut? No, but I'm glad I didn't.
    Options
    Great response. :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    Options

Food isn't a struggle for YOU. Please don't speak for me and I'll extend you the same courtesy. These kinds of threads acknowledge that a whole host of people have struggles with food. I would bet more people struggle than don't. I think most of us recognize its an unhealthy relationship and is part of the reason we found our way to MFP, but it is what it is. I needed a little extra support, asked for it, got it along with a few laughs, and appreciate it greatly. Would it have been the end of the world if I'd eaten the donut? No, but I'm glad I didn't.

Have a donut

picture-20.png?w=500&h=379
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

Have a donut

picture-20.png?w=500&h=379

No thanks. Feel free to have my share. :smile:
  • takkyboomboom
    takkyboomboom Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I wanted a donut until I read this :sick:
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Ew...seriously? Is it used in anything else? That's truly gross :sick:
    Options