Calling all MFP "meanies"

Options
123457»

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's the ingredients list from a simple glazed donut from Dunkin's. I've added annotations in ALL CAPS

(note: standard order of ingredients list is in decending order by weight)

THE DONUT:
    -Enriched Unbleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron as Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Enzyme, Riboflavin, Folic Acid) -- MALTED BARLEY FLOUR ADDS FLAVOR. THE REST ARE IN MOST U.S. "ENRICHED" FLOURS
    -Palm Oil -- FAT
    -Water
    -Dextrose -- SUGAR
    -Soybean Oil -- FAT
    -Whey (a milk derivative) - PROTEIN
    -Skim Milk
    -,Yeast
    Contains less than 2% of the following:
    -Salt
    -Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate --USED TO ENHANCE LEAVENING MOST OFTEN IN SWEET BAKED GOODS BECAUSE THE PHOSPHOROUS AFTERTASTE IS COVERED BY SUGAR*--, Baking Soda),
    -Defatted Soy Flour, BASE INGREDIENT IN SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE AND TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 50% PROTEIN BY WEIGHT**
    -Wheat Starch -- THICKENER
    -Mono and Diglycerides -- FATS, EMULSIFIERS
    -Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate --EMULSIFIER, IN BREAD PRODUCTS ALLOWS MANUFACTURERS TO GET MOVE FROM THE SAME AMOUNT OF INGREDIENTS THROUGH WATER RETENSION.***
    -Cellulose Gum -- ADDS TEXTURE
    -Soy Lecithin -- EMULSIFIER
    -Guar Gum -- THICKENER AND EMULSIFIER
    -Xanthan Gum -- THICKENER AND EMULSIFIER, ADDS CREAMY TEXTURE
    -Artificial Flavor -- YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE****
    -Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative) -- PROTEIN, INCREASES RISE/VOLUME, EMULSIFIER
    -Enzyme -- THIS COULD BE ANYTHING -- IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A TYPO IN THE INGREDIENTS LIST
    -Colored with (Turmeric and Annatto Extracts, Beta Carotene)
    -Eggs -- NOTICE EGGS IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST INDICATING HARDLY ANY WERE USED. THEY WERE REPLACED BY THE PREVIOUSLY LISTED EMULSIFIERS AND THICKENERS.

THE GLAZE:
    -Sugar,
    -Water,
    -Maltodextrin -- SUGAR
    Contains 2% or less of:
    -Mono and Diglycerides-- FATS, EMULSIFIERS
    -Agar -- GELLING AGENT
    -Citric Acid -- ADDS TARTNESS, PRESERVATIVE
    -Potassium Sorbate (Preservative)
    -Artificial Flavor.

I think I'd rather continue to munch on this bowl of cherries because, well .. life is just a bowl of cherries.

Sources:
    * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_pyrophosphate
    ** http://www.usaid.gov/what-we-do/agriculture-and-food-security/food-assistance/resources/defatted-soy-flour-commodity-fact
    *** http://www.livestrong.com/article/124148-sodium-stearoyl-lactylate/
    **** "The term artificial flavor or artificial flavoring means any substance, the function of which is to impart flavor, which is not derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof. Artificial flavor includes the substances listed in 172.515(b) and 182.60 of this chapter except where these are derived from natural sources." http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.22
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    panic.gif
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Replace it with a positive habit... who cares how it looks at work...
    newgirl_nickmiller_squats_donuts.gif
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet: donuts contain L-cysteine, a non-essential amino acid made from dissolved human hair (often from China) or duck feathers.

Where it is: It's used as a commercial dough conditioner to improve the texture of breads and baked goods.

You're welcome :smile:

I have never heard more BS... :noway:

here is the proof you have requested: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5096206
    See under "how made" and then "specific uses". Now granted this USDA article (I hope the source's reputability meets with your approval) does state that L-Cysteine can also be derived chemically, I understood the point of this thread was to discourage the OP from the donut.
    panic.gif
    :laugh: keep 'em coming, you're cracking me up over here
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    After all this, did you resist?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Here's the ingredients list from a simple glazed donut from Dunkin's. I've added annotations in ALL CAPS

THE DONUT:
    -Enriched Unbleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron as Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Enzyme, Riboflavin, Folic Acid) -- MALTED BARLEY FLOUR ADDS FLAVOR. THE REST ARE IN MOST U.S. "ENRICHED" FLOURS
    -Palm Oil -- FAT
    -Water
    -Dextrose -- SUGAR
    -Soybean Oil -- FAT
    -Skim Milk
    -,Yeast
    -Salt
    -Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate --USED TO ENHANCE LEAVENING MOST OFTEN IN SWEET BAKED GOODS BECAUSE THE PHOSPHOROUS AFTERTASTE IS COVERED BY SUGAR*--, Baking Soda),
    -Defatted Soy Flour, BASE INGREDIENT IN SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE AND TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 50% PROTEIN BY WEIGHT**
    -Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate --EMULSIFIER, IN BREAD PRODUCTS ALLOWS MANUFACTURERS TO GET MOVE FROM THE SAME AMOUNT OF INGREDIENTS THROUGH WATER RETENSION.***
    -Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative) -- PROTEIN, INCREASES RISE/VOLUME, EMULSIFIER
    -Enzyme -- THIS COULD BE ANYTHING -- IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A TYPO IN THE INGREDIENTS LIST
    -Eggs -- NOTICE EGGS IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST INDICATING HARDLY ANY WERE USED. THEY WERE REPLACED BY THE PREVIOUSLY LISTED EMULSIFIERS AND THICKENERS.

THE GLAZE:
    -Sugar,
    -Water,
    -Maltodextrin -- SUGAR
    Contains 2% or less of:
    -Agar -- GELLING AGENT
    -Artificial Flavor.

I think I'd rather continue to munch on this bowl of cherries because, well .. life is just a bowl of cherries.

Sources:
    ** http://www.usaid.gov/what-we-do/agriculture-and-food-security/food-assistance/resources/defatted-soy-flour-commodity-fact
    **** "The term artificial flavor or artificial flavoring means any substance, the function of which is to impart flavor, which is not derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof. Artificial flavor includes the substances listed in 172.515(b) and 182.60 of this chapter except where these are derived from natural sources." http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.22

I'd like a chocolate glazed donut to go, please. You may keep your cherries. Unless, donut garnish.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options

THE DONUT:
    -Palm Oil -- FAT
    -Water
    -Dextrose -- SUGAR
    -Soybean Oil -- FAT
    -Skim Milk
    -,Yeast
    -Salt

THE GLAZE:
    -Sugar,
    -Water,
    -Maltodextrin -- SUGAR
    Contains 2% or less of:
    -Agar -- GELLING AGENT
    -Artificial Flavor.

Sources:

I'd like a chocolate glazed donut to go, please. You may keep your cherries. Unless, donut garnish.

Never cared for Dunkin Donuts anyway. However, I ate a Shipley's donut still warm and oh my it was delicious. No need to quote the ingredients. I don't eat them enough to even give that a thought.

I wonder if OP resisted the urge to eat a donut.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Today, at work, is yet another "junk food" day featuring donuts, muffins, milk, and juice. These occur every 4-7 days or so. Anyway, I can't drink the milk and I'm diabetic. I've brought my usual eggs with veg and bacon, stuck a post it on my screen with this weeks goal weight, and am visualizing large piles of sugar all over the break room table. The donuts are calling my name anyway and I could use a little extra motivation and support. Muffins have never been a major issue. Remind me why eating the donut (donuts because I won't want to stop at one) would derail the progress I've been making. I need to read it off and on today. So, be mean - by mean I mean honest. Please no personal attacks as I don't find such things helpful or necessary.

eatign one doughnut IIFYM wont derail your progres... but if you have no self control then eating 2 or 3 doughnuts probably will!
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I saw somebody licking them this morning. And then sneezed on them. You really don't want to eat them
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    my diabetic neighbour lost her sight and both legs...she was morbidly obese and I bet she ate the donuts....

don't eat the donuts for your health and welfare...it isn't even about weight loss

im not even diabetic (hopefully it'll stay that way) but that scared me :indifferent: :frown:
  • Discoqueen77
    Discoqueen77 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I worked in a DD shop for two weeks. Fried white dough turns us into...fried white doughy people. Amazing how the round, fluffy, tire shaped donut looks like what we are trying to get rid of. Sigh. But I hear ya. Can be tough when you are at work, and constantly pass by that box or tray. Out of sight out of mind may work best?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    All those donuts just suck. The bakery where they were made has rats. The rats have fleas. The fleas were in the flour.

Ummm....Oh yeah - somebody sneezed on them....oh, and the person who made them had the flu and coughed all over them....

ummmm....OH YEAH - PLUS - the person who made them went to the bathroom and didn't wash their hands before returning to work....

yeah - that's it.....that's the ticket.....LOL

(JUST JOKING.....I love donuts/muffins/cupcakes too.....and have hard time refusing them too.)
  • takkyboomboom
    takkyboomboom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    After all this, did you resist?

I wondered this too!
  • Discoqueen77
    Discoqueen77 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    cebreisch - you made me laugh!!! OK OK- So did any of these comments help you resist those dirty, flea ridden sacks of flour fat? Eh? Ha!! Tell tell. :-)
  • JasmineJYJ
    Options
    Think of all the hands that have touched those doughnuts and you don't know where they have been also all the bugs that are found in those things think about the extra pounds and how strong you'll feel once all those people at work finish them and you haven't had none yeah your a G for not touching them a strong woman lol stay away from them!! :p
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is a example of such a healthy relationship with food. :noway:

Meh, at least we're honest. Everyone has something they struggle with, it stands to reason that forums for a calorie tracker would have a lot of folks who are tempted by too much food.

FTR, I just sat in the break room for lunch and did not have a donut. And I'm not regretting it. So thanks for the help everyone. :flowerforyou:

Sugarbeat's response above