What looked so good, but turned out to taste horrible

Options

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    sweet potato of any kind.even the purple variety sold as street food in thailand for pennies.
    its wrong on so many levels, no wonder you septics make a dessert of it in sweet potato pie( Least i assume its a dessert?).
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    chocolate mousse made out of avocado. EW
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    also literally ANYTHING carob. this is in no way close to chocolate, so stop saying so
  • AndreaEllen
    AndreaEllen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk Banana flavored.... It tastes like noxious cough syrup but I choked it down anyways...because, dang it... I paid for it!
    And I SUFFERED :sick:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Polenta. With it's rich golden colour, it looked so nice; tasted crap. Or rather, it didn't really taste of anything. I didn't like the texture either. That was a big disappointment!

I have a coeliac friend who takes issue with polenta too. The stuff that is fashioned into supposed 'chips' aggrieve her the most. I don't mind it when it's the mush at the side of the plate with a knob of butter and some parmesan. The stuff you buy all stuck together and then fry/roast, not so much.

A coeliac shouldn't have any problem with polenta, it's usually just corn and water. If she bought pre-packaged polenta chips, maybe they contained gluten for some reason, or there is a contamination risk where they were made. To be fair, I really should've expected not to like polenta since I don't like corn, lol. XD

Oh, I meant she hates it, not that she can't eat it. She just ends up being offered it a lot in places and thinks it sucks.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Polenta. With it's rich golden colour, it looked so nice; tasted crap. Or rather, it didn't really taste of anything. I didn't like the texture either. That was a big disappointment!

I love polenta! But, of course, I make it creamy by cooking it in milk and adding marscopone cheese at the end. :laugh:

Oooh.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms. :noway:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Milk ( hate the taste), mac and cheese, nachos; anything made from tofu; anything Mexican.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Baked avocado. :(
  • SoManyCookies
    SoManyCookies Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Campbells slow cooker Sweet Korean BBQ. YUCK! As soon as it heated up enough to smell it, i wanted to gag. Literally smelled unlike any body odor/ stinky feet combination imaginable. Being one who despises waste, i tried it.... and it was just GROSS!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I have lots, but these are the ones that come to mind right now...

Tofu. Everyone is always telling me it's tasteless and just takes on the flavor of what you cook it with. But to me there is a funky undertaste to it.

Shellfish (any kind and any preparation). Always looks so appetizing, but yuck!

Acorn squash. Made it for the first time a few months ago, and never again. Tasted and smelled just awful.
  • devotedhufflepuff
    Options
    Olives. Since I was a kid I just loved the look of olives. My dad and big sis used to eat them and I would be jealous. I've tried them multiple times but no matter how old I get they are as gross as ever.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Quinoa :( so good for you, I wanted to love it... I keep trying it, and disliking it
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just about anything I ate out at a restaurant when I lived in Boston, except for a place called China Pearl.
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chicken and broccoli bake, great individually but so bland and tasteless together and I could not reserect it, gave up
  • sydneydeb
    Options
    Olives. Since I was a kid I just loved the look of olives. My dad and big sis used to eat them and I would be jealous. I've tried them multiple times but no matter how old I get they are as gross as ever.

Totally agree, revolting things
  • sydneydeb
    Options
    I'm sure I have lots, but these are the ones that come to mind right now...

Tofu. Everyone is always telling me it's tasteless and just takes on the flavor of what you cook it with. But to me there is a funky undertaste to it.

A friend of mine's son calls it deep fried erasers LOL it's horrid
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Anything from Arby's. They're aren't many Arby's around so when I see one, I want to go. Everytime though, it's a disappointment. Maybe I won't get fooled next time.

I feel that way about Jack in the Box. They have menu items that look/sound awesome but all taste blah in reality...Although I love Arby's Reuben... not much else though...
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Truffles! The taste and smell make me puke.
    It's not something you happen to eat by mistake, but if anyone in the same restaurant orders something that has a minimal amount of truffle in it I start feeling nauseus and sick. Even if they're sitting on the other side of the room. Once I was in a fancy pub that had a sandwich with truffle butter in the menu. I ordered another sandwich of course, but when I took the first bite I could swear someone had "forgotten" to wash the knife before cutting my bread. I asked the waiter if someone else had ordered the damn truffle butter sandwich... Bingo :laugh:
  • mhodny
    mhodny Posts: 1
    Options
    Regular cow's milk. It was forced on me as a kid. Now it makes me gag. I can now only use coconut or almond milk. LOVE LOVE LOVE