I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    plentyoffish is mostly disappointing

but im on it ..because i just am

join us on pof and you too can be very bitter

This. So much this.
  • GettingBack2Fabulous
    Options
    I've tried a few online dating sites and I met my ex off one and we dated for 3 years we only broke up cuz he had to move to Korea and I couldn't. I will say this be careful there are a lot of weird people so take your time getting to know them on the site before giving out your number or agreeing on a date. For some reason just about every person I met from plenty of fish just wanted to sleep with me... I must of missed the posted note on my forehead that said I wanna f*** parton my language but it gets old after a while. Also on okcupid I had a guy who used to work at the same place I did message me repeated then he created a fake profile to talk to me so watch for creepers and use google image search!! I tried match.com for like a week and then canceled it. You should give them a try at least once but just be careful.... Hope that helped good luck :smile:

I didn't know this was a dating site -_- well I'm single wink wink
    Lmao
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few online dating sites and I met my ex off one and we dated for 3 years we only broke up cuz he had to move to Korea and I couldn't. I will say this be careful there are a lot of weird people so take your time getting to know them on the site before giving out your number or agreeing on a date. For some reason just about every person I met from plenty of fish just wanted to sleep with me... I must of missed the posted note on my forehead that said I wanna f*** parton my language but it gets old after a while. Also on okcupid I had a guy who used to work at the same place I did message me repeated then he created a fake profile to talk to me so watch for creepers and use google image search!! I tried match.com for like a week and then canceled it. You should give them a try at least once but just be careful.... Hope that helped good luck :smile:

I didn't know this was a dating site -_- well I'm single wink wink
    Lmao
    You go girl...work that wink :tongue:
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site?
    I tried Match and OKCupid

2) were you pleased?
    Yes

3) would you tell someone to try one?
    Very yes

4) any bad vibes?
    There are creepers everywhere. Learn to spot them, meet in public, trust your instincts, if you ever feel unsure about someone, do not meet them. This is not limited to online dating, so it applies to life in general, not to your question in particular.

5) any thing i shoud ask?
    Ask where they work, what they do for fun, and then Google their company and their hobby. find them online

6) would you do it again?
    Yes. I had a blast and only met one guy in person who was a little weird. Plenty of creepy or sleazy guys out there, but they were easy to spot and easy to block on OKC. I was never bothered by them for long.
    I would do it again in a heartbeat if I were single. I currently live with a lovely man I met online 4 years ago.

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful
    OK Cupid. It has/had a chat feature so it was much easier to get a feel for the person before you met them in person.

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why
    Stay away from Pay sites. Try the free trial period if they have one, get the feel of the place, practice crafting your profile, notice what you like and don't like about other people's profiles, then move on to the free sites.

9) any other info would be helpful --thanks
    Set up a brand new e-mail account and skype/yahoo messenger/facetime account linked to that email and not your personal or work ones. If you want to chat with anyone before you meet them, use that.
    Don't be afraid to try new things
    Don't be afraid to date people who are not "your type"
    Go into it with it in mind that you are there to have fun - and then have fun
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    howdy just a few quick questions please :
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site?

2) were you pleased?

3) would you tell someone to try one?

4) any bad vibes?

5) any thing i shoud ask?

6) would you do it again?

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why

any other info would be helpful --thanks

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.
    4. At times. There are common sense ways to protect yourself. Be alert for any red flags while messaging. Meet in a public place. Make sure that a friend or family member is aware of your whereabouts, and has the gentleman's address and contact info before you go to his place or let him come to yours.
    5. Ask about the things you have in common, and also the things that are the most different which pique your interest.
    6. I would if I had not met my soulmate online, and so will never have the need.
    7. OKCupid is where I met my beloved. I also tried PlentyofFish, but it seemed more geared toward uneducated clientele who just wanted to hook up. Look for sites which have a lot of questions and things to fill out...it will weed out a lot of undesirable people.
    8. Paid sites, or specialty sites not geared toward your interests (like adultfriendfinder, if you're not into one night stands. You'll be wasting your time.)
    9. Here's a wiki with a rundown of a lot of the online dating sites, along with a description:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_online_dating_websites
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Remember that some of these sites (like OkCupid) purposely mess up matches in order to experiment with people and see what would happen. Why trust your future to strangers?

Let your friends and family know that you're seriously looking for a spouse. Join clubs that do things you enjoy doing, and if you have a relationship with God I'd suggest you pray for a good match. We do so much online now that the personal touch that comes from life in general is lost.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    My online dating story:

In January 2013 I split with my then partner. A friend recommended POF to me and said it would be a confidence boost. They couldn't be more wrong.

At best I was completely ignored. Or I received messages telling me how ugly they thought I was, or they'd tell me off for having the cheek to message them in the first place looking the way I do, or they'd attempt to ridicule me for only being 5ft 8ins (a crime worse than terrorism in the dating world.)

In the end I deleted my profile and had a breakdown at the reality of being too ugly to ever meet anybody. I don't go out now. I avoid social situations and when I do go out I pull a cap over my face to hide it from women.

I signed back up last week just to see once and for all if I'm still considered repulsive. I am. Don't attempt online dating if you're ugly. Just don't.
  • mybeesknees
    Options
    Nah, I just go to the local jailhouse and take the first available man there.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    My online dating story:

In January 2013 I split with my then partner. A friend recommended POF to me and said it would be a confidence boost. They couldn't be more wrong.

At best I was completely ignored. Or I received messages telling me how ugly they thought I was, or they'd tell me off for having the cheek to message them in the first place looking the way I do, or they'd attempt to ridicule me for only being 5ft 8ins (a crime worse than terrorism in the dating world.)

In the end I deleted my profile and had a breakdown at the reality of being too ugly to ever meet anybody. I don't go out now. I avoid social situations and when I do go out I pull a cap over my face to hide it from women.

I signed back up last week just to see once and for all if I'm still considered repulsive. I am. Don't attempt online dating if you're ugly. Just don't.

I like your last pic...clean shaven and nice smile :happy:
    Maybe its your bed & stuffed animal pics that are throwing people off ?!?
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Oh goodness!
    There are more people out there and a friend of ours who does this kind of "patrolling" :laugh:
    We have a friend who works at the jail and he picked up a "stray" from there...needless to say it didn't last long...gee, I wouldn't know why :ohwell:
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    My online dating story:

I like your last pic...clean shaven and nice smile :happy:
    Maybe its your bed & stuffed animal pics that are throwing people off ?!?

My beard is a temporary thing for charity (see my profile) and I was clean shaven when I was on pof.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, men seem to have it tougher online than women, partially because men are still expected to make the first move. However, I will say that for many women who are not considered the top 10% in attractiveness, they have exactly the same problem. They don't get messages at all, and don't get responses when they make the first move.

I do know some less physically attractive men who wrote great profiles and did just fine, though. Having and displaying a sense of humor and a desire to stand out from the crowd can go a long way.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    My online dating story:

Ha! I think it's partly the British attitude in general. I've been single 4yrs now - If someone hits on me in a bar I figure it's because they're 10 pints down. If somebody hits on me when they're sober I'm immediately highly suspicious as to why the hell they would want to hit on me. And as such tend to extract myself from the situation immediately as they must obviously be deranged & possibly dangerous. Ergo - still single.
  • GettingBack2Fabulous
    Options
    My online dating story:

Some women are mean nasty b*tches who wear makeup to cover up how ugly they are so don't let them get to you. I will make a profile and send you a message and you can tell me off if it will make you feel better :smile::wink:
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I will also add that age is a great factor. I had a very bad experience in my early 20s with the partner I was living with at the time. It really damaged my confidence and my feeling of being secure when out (long story don't want to go into it but take what you will from what I have said). Push forward 18 years, I am 40 years old, have been single all that time and am finally ready to get out there, I work long hours and am the only single friend in my circle so there is no one to be introduced to. I don't consider myself to be hideous, but I have a lot of weight to lose...I get nowhere, nothing, zilch, apart from hearing from men in their late 50s and early 60s (my mum isn't even 60 yet!). I have tried making the first move and get completely blanked on all sides, I try being funny, have made my profile a little mysterious but not so much that I am giving nothing away at all (what is the right balance?). I have been on the sites (okcupid and Smooch) for 4 months and have reached the point where I think that perhaps I am just meant to be a cat spinster (without the cat as I live in rented and can't have any pets).

If you are younger it's much easier...
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Also adding in I've a male friend who uses sites who has nothing but horror stories too. So I don't think its a male v female thing either. Both sexes seem to have problems with dating sites at times.

As the poster above stated I do think age can play a factor. Plus shift work kills any chance of a social life - saying all of that I do sometimes think just remaining single is far easier. I hate the initial dating stages & far prefer the comfortable stage. Alas you kinda need the first to get to the second. Unless you're already friends first.
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site? -- I have tried OKCupid and Plentyoffish.

2) were you pleased? -- Overall, I can't say the experience was enjoyable. I did meet my ex who I dated for 3.5 years on OKCupid, but that obviously didn't have a good outcome.

3) would you tell someone to try one? --I would recommend online dating only to certain people. I definitely feel it is not right for me.

4) any bad vibes? --Of course. There are tons of people who misrepresent themselves. Also you are bound to get creepy messages especially if you're a girl.

5) any thing i shoud ask? --Ask the important questions. If it feels like this person is off or is being untruthful, they probably are. Listen to your instincts.

6) would you do it again? --Definitely not. I realize that online dating exposes me to a pool of people who don't think they can meet someone organically and are sort of desperate. I used to belong to that cohort, now I am confident that I will meet the right person naturally.

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful --OKCupid is more fun to use than Plentyoffish. POF feels way more like a hookup site.

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why --No one seems to like POF because of the reason I stated.
  • mybeesknees
    Options
    Oh goodness!
    There are more people out there and a friend of ours who does this kind of "patrolling" :laugh:
    We have a friend who works at the jail and he picked up a "stray" from there...needless to say it didn't last long...gee, I wouldn't know why :ohwell:

:laugh: Oh man, have you seen, Prison Wives? That never fails to amuse me. Wish I could catch it when it's on more often.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    I just need plastic surgery and an operation to have my legs lengthened, then I might be ok!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I will also add that age is a great factor. I had a very bad experience in my early 20s with the partner I was living with at the time. It really damaged my confidence and my feeling of being secure when out (long story don't want to go into it but take what you will from what I have said). Push forward 18 years, I am 40 years old, have been single all that time and am finally ready to get out there, I work long hours and am the only single friend in my circle so there is no one to be introduced to. I don't consider myself to be hideous, but I have a lot of weight to lose...I get nowhere, nothing, zilch, apart from hearing from men in their late 50s and early 60s (my mum isn't even 60 yet!). I have tried making the first move and get completely blanked on all sides, I try being funny, have made my profile a little mysterious but not so much that I am giving nothing away at all (what is the right balance?). I have been on the sites (okcupid and Smooch) for 4 months and have reached the point where I think that perhaps I am just meant to be a cat spinster (without the cat as I live in rented and can't have any pets).

If you are younger it's much easier...

Ours is a difficult age to find someone I think. I'm 42 and most of the men I got dates with on OKC/POF were either in their 30's or 50's, and most of the oh so generous offers I received for NSA sex were from men in their 20's! My husband, who I met on OKC last year is 36 and he had noted in his profile that he was looking for a woman aged 23-35... yet my age didn't bother him at all. Sometimes they just put in an age range that is their ideal because when they first sign up it seems like you're ordering off a menu, so you just pick what seems ideal to you at the time.

The bodytype thing can also make it more difficult, especially when you're trying to lose. When I was in the 300's I had my niche. I was BBW no questions about it. So men who liked fat women approached me. I met my husband at my current weight (with all the complications of wedding and moving etc, I decided to move into maintenance for a while and have been maintaining this weight for almost a year and am only just now going back into weight loss mode) At this weight, 230's there were a lot more men interested because I'm still fat enough to be attractive to some chubby chasers, but kinda sorta in the "little extra" catagory where many men who are not necessarily exclusively attracted to larger women don't rule you out,,,,, but it's hard to know what they're thinking.... Are they in the pool of men who don't mind a little(or a lot) extra or are they in the pool of men who find it very unattractive or are they in the pool of men who LOVE fat women and don't want you to lose any more weight???

It took me around 70 first dates (and even some 2nd, 3rd etc dates) before I met my husband. AND he was half the world away so yeah, it's definitely not easy for women our age... But it's not impossible.