Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You DO NOT WORK for Moderation!
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different...I cut out the sweets and fried food completely because I cant have just a tiny piece of cake or one scoop of icecream. Staying away altogether is much easier for me besides the very very occasional treat. Everyone is different though!
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this sarcastically.
    Try hypnosis.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Some people find that moderation is more trouble than it's worth. When it comes to sugar… my sister falls into that camp. She would rather NOT eat sugar at all than try to eat it moderately… like trying to stop at just one serving. I'm the opposite. If someone tries to tell me I can never have something again… my likely response is going to be somewhere along the lines of "Bite me!" I personally think a person can find a way to enjoy all those foods they like while still losing weight.

But, from what you've described, you sound like you fit into my the same category as my sister. Moderation is not something you are interested in. Fine. Then you've got two choices… eat it anyway and accept the consequences. Or don't eat it at all. It's your choice. Either choice is fine. But if you choose to eat it anyway… make sure you know the consequences and be ready to accept your responsibility for them. It's not your parents fault or society's fault or the fast food joint's fault. It's yours and yours alone.

If you choose to cut them out entirely… that's also your choice and you will have to accept the consequences of that choice as well.
    Which consequences are you going to choose?

If you choose to cut them out entirely… you are going to have to face the fact that those foods will always be around. Even if you could remove them from your environment… they will still show up at grocery stores, in your friends houses, they will still be offered at parties. The fast food businesses are still going to be remain in business. But you CAN say no. And you can consistently say no. But you have to make the choice. You can choose "I will never eat XXX again." It is not easy. It will require self-control. But it is possible if you make the choice and DON'T CHANGE YOUR MIND! Remind yourself of why you made the choice. What are the consequences you are trying to avoid by not eating those things?

If moderation does not work for you… then don't moderate… just go cold turkey. Or continue to eat that stuff that you cannot moderate and accept the consequences. You're an adult. It's your life.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im new to this website. As you can tell from the title I don't think moderation works for me. I tried to keep moderation with unhealthy foods but I just dont like eating only 1. I have 2 problems. First I am a college student so I am still living with my parents, I would throw the food out but sadly im not the only one living here. Also I have to admit even if I did throw out the food I would order pizza hut then. I love food too much. How can I quit the junk food once and for all?

Moderation doesn't work for you because you haven't tried it.

Also, you aren't the only one with life situations that could get in the way of progress. You just don't want it bad enough yet.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Moderation can be tricky at times. When I'm having a bit of a struggle, I just remind myself that I don't have to cram all my favorite foods into one day. I get to wake up tomorrow (hopefully) and eat again.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im new to this website. As you can tell from the title I don't think moderation works for me. I tried to keep moderation with unhealthy foods but I just dont like eating only 1. I have 2 problems. First I am a college student so I am still living with my parents, I would throw the food out but sadly im not the only one living here. Also I have to admit even if I did throw out the food I would order pizza hut then. I love food too much. How can I quit the junk food once and for all?

Moderation doesn't work for you because you haven't tried it.

Also, you aren't the only one with life situations that could get in the way of progress. You just don't want it bad enough yet.

QFT
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Moderation is a skill. You've learned to do many things in your life. Probably did not master them the first time you tried. Moderation is the only way to be successful long term.

Start practicing. Keep practicing. Pretty soon you will learn to do it.

Sincerely,

A person who was convinced that she could never learn moderation either but did and lost around 100 pounds.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I am the same If I could only sit down and eat one or even two servings of icecream I would keep it in the freezer. But I have proven to myself I cannot I will eat a whole container in 2 days. Some things are just better left out of my kitchen.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The world is full of temptations, the only thing that stands between them and you is self control.

This. The only thing in life that you really can control is yourself.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    JSF. You either want to lose weight or you don't. Good luck.
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's been well said: nutrition and cooking. Learn it, enjoy it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses and start exercising self-control. Otherwise, you'll never stop being a slave to your impulses.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am a volume eater. I can't switch from 5 slices of pizza to 2 and be satisfied with that. But if I have a big bowl of soup or salad with the pizza it feels like enough. I have been making a big pot of low calorie soup each week and having a cup before lunch and dinner. I have my regular meal with a smaller portion and try and make 1/2 the plate veggies. Focus on what you can eat a lot of (veggies) and preparing those in a delicious way. You can binge eat on well prepared veggies and have a moderate portion of the more high calorie foods.

You also have to work on your willpower. Think of it like a muscle you are training that can progressively lift more and more weight as you train it. At first make a small promise to yourself that you will be able to keep. Keep that promise for a week. Then the next week make a promise that is a little harder. The more promises you keep to yourself, the easier it will get.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just learn to control yourself. As a college student, you have a long, hard road ahead of you if you cannot control yourself around food.

Eat less, move more, adjust as necessary.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses and start exercising self-control. Otherwise, you'll never stop being a slave to your impulses.
    Is saying: "I don't eat candy" self control?
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

This. Guess what mos of us who have lost weight well we ALL want to eat ALL the junk food. That's right we want pizza we want burgers. We want big greasy chips and bbq saws and currys and chinese! mm MMMM!

But we don't give in, You do.

And in the immortal words of master yoda.

That is why you fail ...
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

It's obviously much more difficult to eat less of <insert "forbidden" food here>, than it is to avoid said food completely.

The only way we can prove to ourselves (and MFP, and the world at large) that we have achieved the highest enlightened state of self-control is to keep eating those foods.

Hope this helps.
  • enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What I've found works for me is avoiding those "trigger" foods for a while as I'm getting into a pattern of focusing on healthy eating. Finding substitutes to help curb cravings when I get them. Once I feel confident in my new eating patterns, on occasion I will try the moderation thing, and I find it's much easier. One thing that can help is pre-portioning things or purchasing them already pre-portioned. For example, when I crave chocolate, I allow myself 1 dark chocolate Ghiradelli square. It's 50-70 calories (depending on what specific type I have) but it's enough to curb the craving. Or I will have 1 mini york peppermint patty. 60 calories of pure bliss, but I can stop at one.

As far as food others have in the house that aren't good for you- I think firstly explaining to your parents that you respect their rights to have whatever foods around they like but you are going to try your best to avoid eating them will help. And ask them to help you with this. Whether they keep these "trigger" foods in a place where they're not easily visible to you (out of sight out of mind) or make an effort not to indulge in front of you while you learn to build up your will power muscle. Ask them for help.

I do believe that will power is a muscle you have to exercise and build. It's not all or nothing- you have it or you don't. I don't believe that. For me, the more I exercise my will power the stronger it becomes and the easier it is to use. But at first it's really damn hard!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

IMO, yes, but the OP didn't say that. She said moderation doesn't work for her and also that not eating stuff doesn't work for her (as she'd order it anyway). So this thread isn't really about moderation vs. some other model. It's an "I can't" thread.

You can't if you say you can't.

Edit: obviously any diet plan that is based on using maximum willpower (white knuckling it) isn't going to work well, because willpower is a finite resource and during life stuff comes up of higher priority that requires the use of all your willpower. If I'm going to fall off the wagon any time my willpower is sapped by using it to avoid killing a co-worker or some such, then my diet plan needs work. I think it's best to come up with something that requires self control around the edges (that's life) but for the most part isn't so difficult. For me I'd say moderation generally works, but if one has trigger foods (or situations) that would be avoiding the trigger until one can manage to neutralize it. But I don't see that as what the OP's post is about at all.