Is this weird?

Options

Replies

• Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Since we only have a minimal description of what happened and the worst thing was... a "weird look" I'm inclined to say it's more in your head than in anything else.

Since you're new had you considered they might be concerned that you had some particular diet requirements they hadn't catered to? We've had that issue in the office before when there are vegetarians on the team.

As for the idea everyone is sabotaging dieters because they feel bad.... how about a simpler explanation. They love the taste of the food and they want other people to enjoy it as well.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I think it's really presumptuous and kind of rude to assume that people are so insecure they would feel bad for eating a hoagie in your presence while you have a Cafe Steamer.

Maybe they didn't in this case. I'm not a mind reader. But then how would you explain - in general - the peer pressure to eat "junk" food? I would wager insecurity plays into that.

Meh, maybe sometimes. But I think it's rude to armchair quarterback a psychological assessment on people, especially colleagues who you don't really know all that well. Some people, like many of us here, don't view food as "junk food" and are capable of eating a balanced diet. There's nothing inherently bad about a sub. Half a turkey sub and a side salad fits in great with my macros. A slice of pizza will, too.

You keep throwing the "rude" word in there. How is it rude even if I keep my thoughts to myself? I basically agreed with every other statement you made throughout the posts in this thread.

I'm glad you keep your thoughts to yourself.

I'm sorry you don't like my semantics. We will stick with presumptuous then.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I think it's really presumptuous and kind of rude to assume that people are so insecure they would feel bad for eating a hoagie in your presence while you have a Cafe Steamer.

Maybe they didn't in this case. I'm not a mind reader. But then how would you explain - in general - the peer pressure to eat "junk" food? I would wager insecurity plays into that.

Meh, maybe sometimes. But I think it's rude to armchair quarterback a psychological assessment on people, especially colleagues who you don't really know all that well. Some people, like many of us here, don't view food as "junk food" and are capable of eating a balanced diet. There's nothing inherently bad about a sub. Half a turkey sub and a side salad fits in great with my macros. A slice of pizza will, too.

I can't get a sub to fit my macros, at least unless I order double meat and a shorter sammich, and even then it can be difficult. That said, I'm 100% with you on armchair psychology. It's best to just avoid the conversation altogether.

You must need a lot of protein...and, I hear you. That's why I love Wawa so much! I can double the meat on a shorti roll for more protein, less carbs. If I had a sub for lunch, breakfast and dinner would focus more heavily around protein.

Agreed on the conversation. I don't talk weight loss, fitness or health at work because it's just never a good idea. I don't even discuss it with my friends because I don't have the energy to argue about fad diets and bogus information.

It's high protein and because if I have a sub there's no way I could fit in beer. I have my priorities!

It's funny with regard to friends because I have several who I genuinely enjoy being around but who I also think are BSC when it comes to food. I change the subject, nod, or skirt the issue anytime it comes up because I know how deeply rooted some of the nonsense is. I just let it out in the forums and keep my friends.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    As for the idea everyone is sabotaging dieters because they feel bad.... how about a simpler explanation. They love the taste of the food and they want other people to enjoy it as well.

I would think that different people have different motivation for doing things and insecurity may play into that sometimes. Maybe that's a presumptuous arm-chair psychology statement, but whatever.

This will teach me to not (edited to include the "not") start a topic.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Kind of related. I hate it when my office holds potluck events. Can't stand pot lucks and feeling obligated to participate. They just just kind of gross me out.

I feel similarly! I know it's kind of off-topic but yeah. I am generally not a germaphobe or easily grossed out, but if I participate in a potluck style meal I really prefer it to be with people I know really well, like my family or closest friends. I don't know who made what or if they are a clean person or what kind of crazy they may have put in the dish they brought (for me that could be something as simple as a cheesecake style dessert with cottage cheese and Stevia in it...I shudder at that idea). I just don't wanna do it. I usually make some great item that I know everyone will rave about and then quietly disappear with one serving of my own dish and some "safe" thing like my closer friend's brownie or a packaged item.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You're the one labeling food as junk. You're the one who feels "pressured" by your office providing a nice meal of meat, bread, cheese, veggies, sauces, pasta (with more veggies), and chips. It doesn't sound the rest of the office is the problem here.

If you want to eat something else, then eat something else. No one really cares. But drop the assumptions about how other people feel about themselves and their food just because you eat differently. You also don't see how they eat the rest of the day. They might have planned for this catered lunch and made it their large meal of the day, fitting it nicely into their calorie count. Some people are better at having flexibility in their diets than others.
  • stillhere1981
    Options
    Good God, how many times do I have to write that I realized that this wasn't a big deal and that I'll just ask them to order me a salad next time?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Good God, how many times do I have to write that I realized that this wasn't a big deal and that I'll just ask them to order me a salad next time?

It's a calorie counting website. There may be a food issue or topic sensitivity here and there.
  • stillhere1981
    Options

It's a calorie counting website. There may be a food issue or topic sensitivity here and there.

Yeah I guess so. This thread is the definition of making a mountain out of a molehill (although I admit I started it when I reacted how I did).
  • PRMinx
    Options

I can't get a sub to fit my macros, at least unless I order double meat and a shorter sammich, and even then it can be difficult. That said, I'm 100% with you on armchair psychology. It's best to just avoid the conversation altogether.

You must need a lot of protein...and, I hear you. That's why I love Wawa so much! I can double the meat on a shorti roll for more protein, less carbs. If I had a sub for lunch, breakfast and dinner would focus more heavily around protein.

Agreed on the conversation. I don't talk weight loss, fitness or health at work because it's just never a good idea. I don't even discuss it with my friends because I don't have the energy to argue about fad diets and bogus information.

It's high protein and because if I have a sub there's no way I could fit in beer. I have my priorities!

It's funny with regard to friends because I have several who I genuinely enjoy being around but who I also think are BSC when it comes to food. I change the subject, nod, or skirt the issue anytime it comes up because I know how deeply rooted some of the nonsense is. I just let it out in the forums and keep my friends.

Beer...for the win.

And, exactly.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Yeah I guess so. This thread is the definition of making a mountain out of a molehill (although I admit I started it when I reacted how I did).

It's a discussion board. People are here to discuss and share perspectives. This is actually a pretty common issue, so people will want to weigh in with their own experiences and thoughts. Don't take it personally.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Kind of related. I hate it when my office holds potluck events. Can't stand pot lucks and feeling obligated to participate. They just just kind of gross me out.

I feel similarly! I know it's kind of off-topic but yeah. I am generally not a germaphobe or easily grossed out, but if I participate in a potluck style meal I really prefer it to be with people I know really well, like my family or closest friends. I don't know who made what or if they are a clean person or what kind of crazy they may have put in the dish they brought (for me that could be something as simple as a cheesecake style dessert with cottage cheese and Stevia in it...I shudder at that idea). I just don't wanna do it. I usually make some great item that I know everyone will rave about and then quietly disappear with one serving of my own dish and some "safe" thing like my closer friend's brownie or a packaged item.
    Yep, I do exactly the same thing!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    What kind of meal was it? Did it smell funky or really strong? I've learned not to bring fish to work for lunch unless its Tilapia, because the strong fish smell seems to offend people.
    If the food has a strong smell of any sort, you will get funny looks, and questions of what kind of food are you eating.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Yep, I do exactly the same thing!

Hah! I'm the person who organizes every single potluck in our Division of 70 people four times a year. I never participate. I'm WAY too picky about food preparation to eat what someone else has made. (Plus I have celiac disease and can't risk it anyway)

OP, I've taken a group of my administrative staff members out to a restaurant and brought along my own food. You wanna see weird looks?? LOL It used to make me feel uncomfortable but when the group wants to go to a pasta/pizza place what else can I do? I just tip extra well. :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Not everyone reads all the responses -- they read the OP and hit reply.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you get warning ahead of time that a meal will be served, just inform the person ordering that you would like to opt out, and that you'll bring your own meal.

I have to do this because of a health issue, and mostly people are used to it now, but the executive assistant that does the ordering, appreciates me reminding her not to order for me. It saves the company money, and I just eat before/after/during my own food.

at one of my last jobs, i had a couple of people that would do exactly the same thing whenever i'd order food for any of the meetings. one girl would have a very bare-bones, custom order, and another always cringed when food was brought in because she was extremely gluten intolerant. apparently i was the only person who had taken the time to figure out what it was she could eat besides just a plate of lettuce.

generally, for a company to bring lunch into a meeting is a courtesy and a show of appreciation, saying "thank you for giving up your lunch hour for this," especially when you've got people with busy schedules. in regards to the OP, i don't think her boss's "weird look" was a show of confusion about why she'd turn down the free lunch, i think it was more along the lines of "ooh... hey that looks good, i wonder what it is."
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options

I used to work in an office that did this every damn month. I hated it. I refused to say when my birthday was so I wouldn't have to deal with then.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

wawa and sheetz are the best things to have ever happened to me.
    seriously. for realz.

I am not a huge deli/tuna fan- but I DO love that you can get the tuna bowl and not have to worry about bread. it's the best thing ever.

and yes- priorities. beer > bread :D
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:

Yeah that is weird... I would have just fit the damn free food into my macros. *shrug*
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

Are you in Colorado or Washington State where Pot is legal? Sounds paranoid to me, everyone looking at me funny.?? What are they thinking about me? Now it's a non issue? Just sayin'.