I.cant.skip.my.coffee.

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't care for coffee myself, but as I understand it, coffee itself does not contain calories, only what you add to it to make it less disgusting. (:laugh:) So if you're only adding Splenda, it will not interfere with your weight loss.

That said, there are studies that suggest consuming Splenda can make some people crave real sugar more, causing you to overeat in other foods. Pay attention to your cravings and how it makes you feel. If it works for you, keep on keepin' on, I say.
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't care for coffee myself, but as I understand it, coffee itself does not contain calories, only what you add to it to make it less disgusting. (:laugh:) So if you're only adding Splenda, it will not interfere with your weight loss.

That said, there are studies that suggest consuming Splenda can make some people crave real sugar more, causing you to overeat in other foods. Pay attention to your cravings and how it makes you feel. If it works for you, keep on keepin' on, I say.

Watch out, SideSteel is going to demand links to real scientific studies proving your claims!
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you want your morning coffee, take it. I only take mine with coffee cream and no, I don't report it on my diary and I'm still losing weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Watch out, SideSteel is going to demand links to real scientific studies proving your claims!

Because facts are the debil and ignorance is best. AMIRITE!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Typically people say "in my opinion" when they are expressing an opinion. You made claims.

The only claim I made is that studies exist..... which they do. My opinion is that I believe them.

Can you please cite them then.

Thanks!

Again, I don't have time to sit around and search for studies all day for you. You can do a search for scholarly articles yourself. And I also said, you can likely find contradicting studies, it's all in what you choose to believe.

Many studies are inconclusive due to lack of ability to do controlled testing on humans, but the evidence in lab animals is clear. I can't help but think if it's bad for them, it's bad for us.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474447/

lol...it's not for me...it's to show whether you can (or cannot) actually back up what you are asserting...
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I never skip my coffee, though I do drink it black. I suggest replacing splenda with raw brown sugar. Other healthy options for jazzing up your brown cup include: cinnamon, honey, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, and nut milks (oat, hazelnut, coconut, soy). Silk original soy milk makes for a smooth and sweet latte.

Or just drink a large Americano with skim. Yum!

Also: put the spices in with the coffee beans when you brew, not in the cup after it's done. It may be just imaginary but I believe it tastes much better that way.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Why would he?

This is not actually a statement that is claiming something that studies are not actually indicating may be correct (unlike yours). Plus it also does not include sweeping blanket statements - it is saying people should pay attention to how it impacts *their* cravings - which is a good suggestion.
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I could stop drinking coffee but then I might hurt people... I love my coffee. I started buying flavored coffee and stopped putting in cream or sugar, if you get good tasting coffee you don't have to drown it in sugar or cream. But no drinking coffee will not stop stall weight loss.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What matters is where the weight of current evidence points, collectively. It also matters what the actual research indicates and not what the media claims the research indicates.

Your opinion of the data doesn't change the data.

Yes, you can choose to believe anything the current evidence points to, but that can change in an instant. What then?

"Scientific evidence" can be skewed in any direction to benefit those who are funding the research, just as other studies can be muted completely because they don't want the public to know the truth about some things. So, I guess the evidence that's out there can sometimes point people in different directions. It all depends on how much you trust the sources, the suppliers of our food, and our food governing agencies. I can tell you that my trust level with these entities is next to none.

I instead choose to research what I can about our food and make the best possible choices for my family. When it comes to that, any artificially synthesized food should be out of the question, when there are perfectly natural alternatives out there with no questions or even "what if" concerns about hazards to our health.

So, again the things I've said are not so much claims as they are my personal conclusions drawn from the evidence at hand, and I will be sure to make that more clear next time for those who wish to refute them. Although, looking back, I really don't see a problem with the way I worded it, as I have linked to studies that correlate with both claims.

Thanks

"Scientific evidence" can be skewed (scientific evidence meaning research and such) but articles (which randomly say studies but have nothing to actually back it up or cherry pick) are totally not biased, right? Gotcha.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So, again the things I've said are not so much claims as they are my personal conclusions drawn from the evidence at hand, and I will be sure to make that more clear next time for those who wish to refute them. Although, looking back, I really don't see a problem with the way I worded it, as I have linked to studies that correlate with both claims.

Thanks

No, you actually have not.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Bro, do you even burden of proof?
  • mrslynah
    mrslynah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with coffee unless you have specific health problems, and some would argue that it's beneficial in moderation. Splenda, however, is no good. I use it in a crunch before I'll use real sugar, so no judgment here. But I highly recommend Stevia. You can google it if you're interested, and you'll get the info you need. Look for Stevia with no fillers in the ingredients. It is natural and calorie free and you can find it at the grocery store. You can also try bulletproof coffee (some swear by the fat-burning qualities) made with coconut oil if you really want to step it up. Don't give up your coffee! :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i drink at least a pot a day, sometimes more, with lots o' splenda. no hindrance.
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut back on caffeine, just because I know I drink entirely too much.... like 24oz everyday. BUT I have started using 1T organic coconut oil and 1t pure honey, and put it in the blender! Very delicious, and coconut oil is really great for you! That is basically my breakfast everything morning, it fills me up until lunch time.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

Why would he?

This is not actually a statement that is claiming something that studies are not actually indicating may be correct (unlike yours). Plus it also does not include sweeping blanket statements - it is saying people should pay attention to how it impacts *their* cravings - which is a good suggestion.

Thank you, that is precisely why I worded it the way I did.
  • Warren_Abrey
    Warren_Abrey Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black with no sugar, don't dilute that beautiful coffee taste :)

This.

the way I look at it is considering I've gotten rid of so many bad habits the coffee / caffiene can stay.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

MY claims? Do you even reading comprehension?
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options

MY claims? Do you even reading comprehension?

Was supposed to be a joke. Ok I get it, word my stuff differently. Guess I am done here.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cups a day with almond milk and I don't plan to give it up ever.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    my breakfast every morning is black coffee, nothing added. That'll solve your problem.

You can buy zero calorie syrups like french vanilla and etc to add to your coffee as well. Check them out at your local grocery.