Significant Other's and Dieting

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Er, I know. But I want to help him. I'm overweight, he's obese. I want him to make it to his 90's. This man may be a dad one day!!! I want to encourage him, which I try to do. I just know that he's going to beg to eat out (he has before) and it makes it hard. Sigh. :(
    you can't force someone to lose weight. If he wants to be will. The only thing you can control is yourself and what you eat. I've learned a wee trick when someone offers you something you'd rather not have I say 'No Thankyou'. It's quite useful Phrase. Maybe try it rather than blaming him.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Only you can sabotage your diet. You might thank him for testing your willpower and proving to yourself how strong you are. :)

The whole "You need to lose weight" conversation is a tough one. I'd like to have it with my husband, too, but I honestly think that there's little I can do to sway him to start so I haven't tried yet. He's got maybe 40 or 50 pounds to lose and diabetes and heart disease run in his family. I know my husband isn't ready because he tries to convince ME that I don't need to lose weight, that he loves me like I am, blah blah blah. He's in denial about his own situation and trying to keep himself from feeling guilty that he's not doing anything by getting me to stop. I've told him I'm doing this for me, not for him. At least he doesn't bring home treats, though. I think he's learned that I just won't eat them.

The decision to lose weight is a very personal one and it's one that no one else can make for us. You can nag and harp and criticize but until he makes that choice for himself he's probably going to resent your intrusion into the subject. Only you know him well enough to know the best way to approach the subject. We can give you advice but we're only giving personal experience that may not be valid for your situation. I hope you read one you think will help.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You just don't eat it. His food is his, your food is yours. It gets easier after a few weeks. He needs to stop offering it to you, which anyone who was close to decent would do after the first time you asked them to stop doing it for good.

You can tell him you love him and don't want to be left alone when he dies, but he's a big boy and has to make his own decisions. You cannot change him and if you push hard enough, he will resent it.

If it's something you can't live with, figure it out before you get married!!

I think he keeps offering food because I've caved a few times and he always tells me: 'You can eat pretty much what you want as long as we exercise'
    He is aware of the risks as he said recently: 'I'm going to die first, that's just what's going to happen' :(

Well he is half right: you can eat pretty much what you want as long as you're in a caloric deficit. Exercise is not to lose weight, it's a fitness tool. It just happens to help you raise your energy needs, which in turn means you can eat more food without gaining weight. So if I'm sedentary every day, then to maintain I'd eat maybe 2200 cals. But since I exercise, I can eat ~2500 to maintain. So when in a deficit, it's obviously much easier to maintain a deficit if I'm exercising becuase I get to eat more food.

But as the saying goes, you can't outrun a bad diet. So in this case, you can't outrun caloric surpluses.

'You can't outrun a bad diet' That quote is perfect!!! I keep pushing veggies on him. But his of idea of nutrition is an egg and bacon on top of a burger.
  • kgronevelt
    Options
    I also have a similar issue at times... except my husband is very lean and in shape, but he does not eat very healthy and does not eat veggies. I sometimes find if hard to eat healthy and control my portions when my husband is a very picky eater and loves to eat large portions. He is a great motivator to me though and he keeps me moving, which I am grateful for. I'm new at this whole thing too so I'm sorry that I can't offer helpful advice, but just wanted you to know that other people also struggle! Keep your head up!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You mean you sabotage yourself. I am sure he isn't tying you up and forcing them down your throat! LOL.:bigsmile:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    "Please stop buying me truffles and candy. I appreciate that you want to do nice things for me, but I am working hard to lose these 25 pounds."

Continues to buy ---- throw them away.
    Stops buying -- problem solved.

"I am not sure I am ready to eat at a Chinese restaurant. I am trying to control my calories so I can lose these 25 pounds. Could we make Chinese at home together?"

Begs to eat out -- He can go alone. Or, you can go and order something healthier from the menu than an all you can eat buffet.

"I care about you. I want you to be healthy. If there is anything I can do to help you achieve that, please tell me."

He chooses to do nothing -- You do you.
    He asks for help -- you offer what you know to have worked for you, or you support what he has chosen for him (provided it is a healthy course of action...)

Done. You need to do you. Nagging him to do things YOU think are best for him is going to do nothing but end your relationship.

And, sabotage would be him intentionally cooking your "healthy" meal in lard and not telling you the difference. Or, putting sugar in your unsweetened ice tea. Sabotage is not doing something nice for you that you choose not to refuse. You are sabotaging yourself.

Pointing out that you put on the 25 pounds since you met him is placing the blame on your relationship, or even your partner, not taking responsibility for becoming less diligent because you were preoccupied with a new relationship. It happens. Take responsibility and get back at it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why do I get the feeling this was supposed to be one of those threads the OP was going to show her SO so he could see from the responses how right she is....
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The only person that can "sabotage" your weight loss is you. Someone offering you or buying you food doesn't mean they're sabotaging you. Only you can decide to put that food in your mouth. There's nothing wrong with offering someone food and there's also nothing wrong with bon-bons or Chinese food, if they fit into your daily calorie goal. Get it out of your head that there are good foods and bad foods. Food is just food.

You can't make him lose weight. He's an adult and he has to make that decision himself. He knows he's overweight, so he doesn't need you to tell him that. You can tell him that you're concerned about his weight and that your children might pick up his bad habits. You are just starting this new way of eating, so don't be a hypocrite and lecture him. In the end, it's up to him. You eat what you want to eat and let him eat what he wants to eat. Just because you decided to take off the weight doesn't mean he should be pressured to do so.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    'You can't outrun a bad diet' That quote is perfect!!! I keep pushing veggies on him. But his of idead of nutrition is an egg and bacon on top of a burger.

<
    Doesn't eat veggies. Still losing weight. And, an egg and bacon on a burger is a fabulous choice in my book! Protien and delicious.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I also have a similar issue at times... except my husband is very lean and in shape, but he does not eat very healthy and does not eat veggies. I sometimes find if hard to eat healthy and control my portions when my husband is a very picky eater and loves to eat large portions. He is a great motivator to me though and he keeps me moving, which I am grateful for. I'm new at this whole thing too so I'm sorry that I can't offer helpful advise, but just wanted you to know that other people also struggle! Keep your head up!
    I can promise you that your husband's metabolism will catch up with him in the end. My husband's sure did. When we started dating he was 145 pounds at 6'3" and could eat anything he wanted and drink a 6 pack of Coca Cola a day. By the time he was in his mid-30s he'd switched to Diet Coke and being a little more careful of what he was eating but still eating quite a bit. Fast forward to 50 and he has 40 to 50 pounds to lose and will still eat a 3 serving bowl of ice cream with a 1/4 cup of peanut butter on top after dinner. He could probably lose much of the weight he needs to lose simply by cutting that down to a reasonable serving size.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Unless he's tying you down and force feeding you, he's not sabotaging anything - you are.

Beat me to it!.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    1. Tell him outright not to buy you food. If he does, throw it in the garbage in front of him, until he gets the point. It seems mean, but you cannot let his (probably unconscious) issues about feeling insecure in front of you. If you eat what he brings you, he will keep doing it. My husband and I both understand that we do NOT buy each other sugary food. Offer him specific, alternative ways to show love. Personally, I love getting flowers :)

2. Understand that he is insecure. He's afraid you'll leave him once you look great, especially if he doesn't follow in your footsteps. It's true that when one person changes how they look, it changes the whole dynamic of the relationship. Reassure him that you love him no matter what and that your own fitness/diet goals are NOT so you can find a better boyfriend.

3. Don't try to change him. Don't talk to him about his diet or try to make him change what he eats. You can cook healthy meals for both of you, and you can invite him to participate in exercise activities with you. But if you judge him, or criticize him for what he eats or not exercising or whatever, your marriage won't last. "Unconditional love" means just that. I am 17 years married and counting!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of tasty ways to cook veggies. But you can't make someone eat something he doesn't want too,..it just won't work. As other said,.. veggies are not required to lose weight.

Maybe he would like to use this site too? If he really wants to lose weight maybe he could benefit from the tools available. If he can set his own diet, eating the things he likes. Maybe things will be easier on you too.

When he buys you candy, instead of "caving" or turning it down, maybe give him some ideas of alternative things he can surprise you with. Maybe he just wan't to show you that he's thinking of you. Just let him know what you would appreciate.
  • billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Er, I know. But I want to help him. I'm overweight, he's obese.

You can help him by setting an example. All you've done so far - by regaining the weight - is show him that it's pointless to try.

The rest is just nagging.

Fix yourself first.

I agree. I also think this is much like "breaking a wild horse". Stay vigilant, lead by example and most of all be strong. Stick to YOUR guns (not his) and follow YOUR plan. My guess, when he starts to see your weight loss, he will soon follow your lead. This could very well take time but I'm guessing (being a male myself) eventually he will accept the saddle.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others on this. Although my husband isn't obese, he couldn't care less about eating healthy foods or exercising but that's his life, not mine. I watch what I eat, pre-plan my meals & snacks, and exercise daily. He often tries to subconsciously sabotage me by bringing in junk food but I don't fall for it. I'm the only one responsible for what goes in my mouth. I can't force him to be healthier anymore than I can force him to quit smoking. He has to want it for himself. If he ends up having issues because I'm healthy & fit and he's not, I'll be there to help him if he wants it.

You're the only one who answers to you in terms of what you eat and if you exercise; nobody can take that responsibility over for you.
  • kgronevelt
    Options
    :smile:
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    We all do this in different ways. My husband never once nagged me to lose weight, even as he dropped 40 lbs over 2 years. We both got to the point where we were "ready" on our own.

It has been extremely helpful for him that I'm so careful at preparing meals and logging everything because he had high blood pressure and needs to stick to low sodium diet and get his exercise in. But really we both figured out what we had to do independently and never nagged each other.

The only change has been that I've told him not to serve me anything (it's a gentleman thing). I'll serve myself.
  • silentKayak
    Options
    To the people saying it's not sabotage. It is. Absolutely.

If my husband was trying to kick a drinking problem, I would be sabotaging him if I bought his favorite beer and put it in the fridge.
    If my husband was trying to kick a drug habit, I would be sabotaging him if I bought heroin and gave it to him.

Now, food is different, because it's always around. So it is NOT sabotage if the husband buys himself candy and happens to leave some of it around. But if he buys it FOR her, it is no different than handing crack to a junkie. Consciously or not, he wants her to fail, and he's going to pick away at her resolve until it crumbles.

At the very least, it's not supportive. When my husband went low-carb (and I didn't), I cooked him separate low-carb meals. When my son went pesca-vegetarian (and the rest of the family didn't), I offered him a vegetarian alternative at every meal, taught him how to cook his own, and made sure to stock tofu, fish, and other non-meat protein sources in the house. We ALL do different sports and physical activities, and each of us makes sure the others can get to their times/dates. My husband will rearrange his weekend if I want to go to the gym; I changed my work hours to take care of the kids so he can get to the gym in the mornings.

That's what being supportive of someone's fitness program looks like. Not buying them crappy food that will make it harder to meet their goals.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Pff, my boyfriend and I have both gained 40 lbs since we've been together! Honestly, focus on what you are doing and he will eventually follow. You can't force him to eat healthy. What works for me is making little competitions between us. Whoever loses the most weight by X (an event, date, whatever), gets something from the loser! Its a win-win, if you won, you lost weight! If you lost, you still get to do something nice for the person you love! and it motivates my boyfriend a lot more than the stance of " I need you to be healthy cuz I want you around the rest of my life". What I have also found to work out is if he asks to eat out, I will say I don't have the calories can we do it tomorrow instead? This does 2 things: I can plan ahead for it, and it gives him time for his craving to pass so he at least can think if he really wants it. 50% of the time he's forgotten about it by the next day.

If you want to eat the things he eats or go out or have candy, you can! Just eat less. Split the candy with him, control yourself and your choices when you go out, eat what you cook for him but less! As you start to lose weight and feel better about yourself, he will notice. When I told my bf I finally feel comfortable in my body again, it hit him that he wasn't. And I think he got a little jealous to be truthful, so he's lost 8 lbs now and starting lifting weights again.

Just focus on you. His time will come at some point.
  • silentKayak
    Options
    We all do this in different ways. My husband never once nagged me to lose weight, even as he dropped 40 lbs over 2 years. We both got to the point where we were "ready" on our own.

It has been extremely helpful for him that I'm so careful at preparing meals and logging everything because he had high blood pressure and needs to stick to low sodium diet and get his exercise in. But really we both figured out what we had to do independently and never nagged each other.

The only change has been that I've told him not to serve me anything (it's a gentleman thing). I'll serve myself.

Great story, and good for you. My husband and I also both go back and forth on fitness, but not generally at the same time.