How to love eggs!

Options

Replies

• Ajulutsikael
    Ajulutsikael Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same interest in eggs because I wanted the healthy protein, so I found these:

15 Ways To Eat an Egg For Breakfast - http://www.thekitchn.com/15-twists-on-eating-an-egg-for-breakfast-167107

12 Baked Eggs Recipes Worth Getting Out of Bed For - http://www.cosmopolitan.com/food-cocktails/a5634/baked-egg-recipes/
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    About the cholesterol issue: my cardiologist recommended hard boiled eggs as a protein snack.
  • spinneyhex
    spinneyhex Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Picked eggs :)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For all those cholesterol naysayers...spaghetti carbonara :love:

I eat soft boiled eggs with marmite toast on the side a lot. Or an omlette with some goats cheese and chives in the centre.

Or poached, with a smokie or smoked haddock and lots of spinach. Homemade hollandaise (what higher calling is there for an egg?) with this is good, but not necessary, a knob of butter on the spinach is enough if you haven't the cals for something so rich that day.

Make your own custard and meringues...I'm not helping with the 'healthy' uses of eggs, am I? Meringues are perfectly good with greek yogurt though and if you have whites you may as well make something with the yolks.

I sometimes make shashuska when I have people over, sort of tomatoes, peppers and spices cooked together and then towards the end, eggs dropped in and returned to the oven to bake. Very good with bread or pitta. I like it, but my husband doesn't like the texture of the egg whites when I make it. That can be low in calories if you want this by reducing some of the olive oil and it's really filling.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Boiled for 4 minutes... Top sliced off, dash of white pepper, side tablespoon of tomato ketchup and bread and butter and Bob's your uncle!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs almost everyday, I love them hard boiled the most but they're a bit of a pain to cook and peel just 1 or 2 eggs everyday (I make a mess of the peeling every time). I save that for a treat like once a week instead. Usually I fry or poach them, with some kind of topping, some days it's very basic salt and pepper and other times it's the works, cheese, onions, salsa, might as well call it a "hard omelette' the way I make them :laugh:

Omelettes are good too, I like plain cheese and veggies, too many toppings and it just becomes more than I can really enjoy. I also scramble and mix them with fresh-made potatoes and onions in a skillet for some tasty home fries :)
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    SOUFFLE OMELET!!! This is my go to!

This is a variation of my FAVORITE recipe using eggs. It was easier to grab the link. I don't use the cream of tartar.

www.incredibleegg.org/recipes/recipe/basic-souffle-omelet

You'll need a pan that you can put IN the oven. I have a seasoned cast iron pan that I use. I heat up the pan, put butter in the bottom until it's melted all over, pour the egg mix in, and then pull it off the heat and into the oven.

It's pretty dry. I find that it doesn't taste as "eggy" as scrambled eggs.

As for toppings? This is going to sound weird, but I love it:

1 tsp milk
    2 tsp (whipped) cream cheese
    1 tsp powdered sugar
    Blend all of that together.

Raspberry jam
    Microwave desired amount for 10-15 seconds, until liquid.

Take the cooked egg out of the oven, put on a plate, drizzle the cream cheese stuff on the egg, top with the raspberry stuff.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love eggs any way but raw...

boiled, poached, fried, scrambled, deviled...
    Yum yum yum

Hubby doesn't eat eggs, and I just don't understand it!
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My favorite lately is sauteed spinach blend with garlic, fried egg and then topped with mashed avocado and crushed red pepper.

BUT I have my own free range chickens, if you can find farm fresh eggs, especially free range it's completely worth it, the taste is so much better, the yolk is buttery instead of chalky. After tasting someone else's farm fresh eggs I knew I had to have my own chickens lol!
  • backflip2
    Options
    hard boiled with a pinch of salt & pepper - so tasty
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Gordon Ramseys's scrambled eggs. The simple chicken egg while extraordinary in potential is remarkably easy to ruin. Which, in my opinion is often why people can get turned off by eggs. I can't bring my self to eat over cooked eggs, I find them revolting. One of the biggest challenges in culinary school is the ability of a chef to perfectly cook multiple classic egg preparations. It is also the reason it is often a challenge on the popular cooking competition shows on tv. Don't get discouraged. Keep testing, watching videos and perfecting your technique. There is likely a preparation you prefer. The options are mind blowing. The golden egg in the center of the Provençal wood fired pizza, the lacy egg resting atop the bibimbap, the silken threads in the perfect bowl of egg drop soup, the egg puff floating in a bowl of Dashi broth, the sou vide egg yolk quivering on a bed of pan seared fiddle heads, the classic eggs Benedict, the fresh Caesar salad, the searing hot golden egg foo young, the single egg yolk in a nest of beef tartar, the heavenly meringue, and the deceptively difficult deviled egg. Good luck.

*swoon* lol
  • GrandmaJackee
    GrandmaJackee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Parmesan Egg - 1 Tablespoon butter (soft), 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, 1 large egg, 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Butter an individual ramekin, then dust ramekin with 1/2 the cheese. Break egg into ramekin and cover with cream. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 - 15 minutes until white is set.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them...uh, don't eat them. There are plenty of other ways to get in your macros without choking down things you don't actually enjoy. No need to make yourself miserable.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them...uh, don't eat them. There are plenty of other ways to get in your macros without choking down things you don't actually enjoy. No need to make yourself miserable.

↑↑
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I hate eggs. Life is too short to eat food you don't like-- there are plenty of good protein sources.
  • ChrisJMellor
    Options
    I love eggs any way but raw...

boiled, poached, fried, scrambled, deviled...
    Yum yum yum

Hubby doesn't eat eggs, and I just don't understand it!

Cos they come out of a hens bum.

Boom tish????
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Poached is nice, and easy enough once you add a little vinegar to the poaching water.....

I did not know that, I'll have to try it!

There's gadgets to use - this article I found mentions a few, see if you have success with any!
    http://www.lovefood.com/journal/features/11071/the-best-egg-gadgets-

Yes, seen so many egg gadgets, and always laugh when I see them, lol. Once you add some vinegar to the paching water, you shouldn't have any problems, and no need for gadgets :) I generally use a small, deep pan, and add about a tablespoon of vinegar. I'm not sure if you even need that much vinegar, I'm just pretty free handed about adding it, lol.

You'll have to find your own timing of course, as everyone likes their eggs a little different, but generally I find 3mins 15secs works very well for me and perhaps a good starting point. Too firm, just knock off some time, too soft, just add some more time, and you'll soon have the perfect time for you.

Just remember to bring the water to gentle boil/ rolling simmer before you add any eggs. Also a nice tip I found, was if you need to cook a lot of poached eggs, just prepared a bowl of iced water, and poach your eggs, but take them out 30 seconds before they're done, and put them in the bowl of iced water, and then when you are ready to serve them, just pop them back in the poaching water for 30 seconds to heat through and serve.

Of course if serving eggs for a lot of people, what my aunt who ran a guesthouse used to do, was to simply grease a deep muffin tin, and crack an egg into each, little butter/ salt/ fresh herbs on top of each egg, and bake the eggs until set :)

What I do for poached eggs is the same except for one difference. My mother taught me that when the water is boiling, take a spoon and swirl the water into a mini whirlpool. Crack the egg right in the center of it and it will stay together a lot better that way.
  • sonytomtp
    sonytomtp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had a stir fry last night with bean sprouts, onions, other veggies and some eggs thrown in last with some dark soy sauce. Delicious, would really recommend it.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My mother taught me that when the water is boiling, take a spoon and swirl the water into a mini whirlpool. Crack the egg right in the center of it and it will stay together a lot better that way.

I guess that would only work if you're just doing one egg though? Still, a neat trick! I'm going to have to try it...