Are belly button rings still fashionable?

I had my belly button pierced back when I was 18 or 19 (I am 28 now). And I wore it up until I was about 22which is when I started putting on weight. My pants would dig into it and when my roll started getting bigger, it just wasn't doable anymore. The peircing never migrated out and it didn't grow in and now that I am losing the weight it won't be long now that I can wear them again.. but is it an "in" thing esp for ppl in their late 20s/early 30s???

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    I still wear mine, but it's kind of pointless since I never show my stomach in public. I'm kind of conservative (while in public anyway).
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    it was trashy even ten years ago...
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    ....Unless your stomach is amazingly beautiful and you're going to be prouncing around in a bikini they are pretty pointless.

I'm 21, and I see one every so often but they aren't really that desirable.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Nope
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    No, they're going back to being considered trashy.

Surprisingly (to me), hair that looks bleached-blond is popular in some areas.

It's nice to be old and not care about fashion. :)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    If you feel comfortable and want to, why not? You're not going to be gyrating around in a boob tube at the queue in the supermarket or post office are you?

And being desirable to 21 year old men was something that stopped being important to me a long time ago. When I was 18.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Id say no, but whatever makes u happy
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i think they look good.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    I'm 31 and personally think it would look tacky on me at my age. Just my opinion.
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    It doesn't matter if they are 'in' or not.. If you want to wear one then go ahead and do it. Everyone has a different reason for wanting something pierced. I've had mine pierced 3 different times now and I'm considering getting it done a fourth time and I'll be 27 this year. It's all a matter of opinion.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I think it would be a personal preference, who cares what other people think.
  • JJofWA
    JJofWA Posts: 15
    I bet your husband would think it's sexy on you...
  • lucent78
    lucent78 Posts: 4 Member
    If it makes you happy go for it! That's all that matters.
  • MaryMcnz
    MaryMcnz Posts: 39 Member
    I'm in my 50's and still have mine.
    I don't give a flying fig if they're "in" or not. I don't waste a single second worrying what other people think of it.
    When you get to my age, you learn to do what pleases you - if you like it wear it.
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    If you like it, wear it. I've had mine since I was young and have no intentions of getting rid of it. Even though it's rarely seen these days. Lol
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    All the individuals calling them "trashy" seems rather odd.

Kinda judgmental for a weight-loss forum.

But, then again, it might be sour grapes. I doubt many here would want to focus attention on their gut.
  • Autumn_Days
    Autumn_Days Posts: 12 Member
    I personally love mine, not that anyone is seeing my tummy lately. I got mine and have been using it as a bit of motivation to get my stomach back to how it used to be before pregnancy.

I don't think they are trashy at all when shown at appropriate times, like at the beach. If you want yours back in, go for it! The judgy type people will always judge... Do it for yourself if you want to, not them because they decide it's not an "in" thing :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I hope I still care about fashion when I'm old. I'm gonna be a hott old biddy.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    It's cute, no younger than 18, no older than 19.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Absolutely not. I fee the same way about nose piercings, just....ew.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Others opinions on what you do with your body is silly...if you like it...get it. Who cares what anyone else thinks.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    If you feel comfortable and want to, why not? You're not going to be gyrating around in a boob tube at the queue in the supermarket or post office are you?

And being desirable to 21 year old men was something that stopped being important to me a long time ago. When I was 18.

Haha! I love it. That is the perfect answer. I say if it makes you feel good go for it! Fashion is all about confidence. And, of course, not "gyrating around in a boob tube at the queue in the supermarket or post office". No one looks good doing that :laugh:
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    I'm in my 50's and still have mine.
    I don't give a flying fig if they're "in" or not. I don't waste a single second worrying what other people think of it.
    When you get to my age, you learn to do what pleases you - if you like it wear it.

Amen, sister! That's exactly what I was getting ready to add! You do it for YOU and what you like! My piercings are for me, my tattoos are for me. I got my belly button pierced when I was 34. LOVED it! Don't regret it for a second. If it weren't for the fact that I have all of this ungodly excess skin that irritated the life out of it, I'd still have it to this day. Don't think that when I get all of it removed, I won't have another one. Don't care if people think it's trashy, it's not about them, it's about me. My mother thinks my tattoo is trashy, so do a lot of other people. Don't care about that, either. My tattoo means the world to me. It's about me, not them. Do what makes you happy, you live in your body, not them. Best wishes!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Personally, I love them and would really like to have one, but it's not possible with all the loose skin I have. Maybe someday.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    I'm in the camp of do what makes you happy and who cares if it's "in" or what anyone else thinks. I've always wanted one because I like them. I'm 40 and plan to get mine done for the first time this fall.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Absolutely not. I fee the same way about nose piercings, just....ew.

I'm getting ready to rock your world. I got bored one night while I was working at Merle Norman (was the counter manager there), when in the back, got out a piercing gun, and pierced my nose myself. This was in 2004. Do I regret it? Absolutely not. Love it. Yes, I do think quite highly of myself.

Here it is, in all it's glory. Bask in the glory. I'll spare you the picture of the Joan Osborne hoop.

1932460_1378672895735489_754375925_n.jpg?oh=52990bab9087a49ad33ed160a09abc1e&oe=5462906E
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Loved my nose ring! Pierced it for the first time in college in 1990 and then again in 2010. I had to take it out for teaching. I live in a very conservative area. If we move, and it is allowed by the school district, it will be back :)
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    You do you, and don't worry about what others think! Who cares if belly button rings are trashy or not! If you've got one and you feel good about it and yourself then don't let the haters hate.

Both my daughters have their belly buttons pierced. One has a fit physique, one doesn't. Both girls are beautiful and not trashy and that little piece of jewelry won't make the difference between trashy or not trashy, it's the actions that make a person trash.

Go on and be your bad self!!!!
  • Absolutely not. I fee the same way about nose piercings, just....ew.

I'm getting ready to rock your world. I got bored one night while I was working at Merle Norman (was the counter manager there), when in the back, got out a piercing gun, and pierced my nose myself. This was in 2004. Do I regret it? Absolutely not. Love it. Yes, I do think quite highly of myself.

Here it is, in all it's glory. Bask in the glory. I'll spare you the picture of the Joan Osborne hoop.

1932460_1378672895735489_754375925_n.jpg?oh=52990bab9087a49ad33ed160a09abc1e&oe=5462906E

It suits you! Beautiful:)
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    I don't think belly button rings are "in" per say. I noticed my 17 year old cousin who is a high school senior has one, but I have no idea what is big and what isn't in that crowd.

I think that if you want to wear a belly button ring, then you should.