Women's sizes and weight

Replies

• i'm 5'5, 140, us size 6 jeans/ s t-shirt

and I'm 5'5", 125, and wear a US 6 / s t-shirt. Even wore the 6 jeans when I was as low as 119. Goes to show how different sizes can be. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    It definitely varies, as others have said.

I am 5'8" and technically pear shaped (from measurements) but feel I appear more hourglass due to semi-broad shoulders. Anyway, to the best of my ability I've listed my past sizes and weights below - starting with all-time heaviest & ending with my current and lowest.

280-307 lb = size 22 pants, occasionally 24. 22/24 dress. 3X top. Occasionally I bought 4X or 26/28 tops because if anything came even close to touching my fat rolls I wouldn't wear it...so lots of baggy stuff. Technically I think I was 2X-3X, 22/24.

260-279 lb = size 22 pants, 20-22 dress, 2X top.

259-240 lb = sizes 18-20 pants, 20-22 dress, 1X-2X tops.

220-239 lb = size 18 pants, 18 dress, 1X top.

204-219 lb = size 16 pants, 18 dress, 1X top.

190-203 lb = size 14 and juniors 13-15 pants, 14 dress, XL top.

180-189 lb = size 12 and juniors 11-13 pants, 14 dress, L-XL top.

from 179 to present, 173 lb = size 10-12 and juniors 11 pants, 10-14 dress (totally depends on the cut...10-12 are best but I need space for my bust and hips), M-XL top (totally depends on the style/cut, I have M that are perfect and XL that still aren't remotely too big).
  • Crystlee80
    Crystlee80 Posts: 25 Member
    I'm 5'8" and currently at 211 size 12 loose. A few months ago I was at 228 size 14 and a few 12's but tight. Top XL. Now even when I am at 200 I still am around a 11/12. The smallest I have been was at 165 size 8. I consider myself to be large framed. I don't think realistically I will ever see smaller than a 8 maybe even a 9/10 after my 4 kids but that's okay. It's not so much about the size but as to how I feel.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Being 6'2", I wish more "tall" jeans actually were tall. Shorter people can fold the bottoms and take them to be hemmed. Tall people can not add length to pants if it doesn't exist to begin with. I wear a 36"-37" inseam in pants and have to spend a small fortune to find pants that I can wear.

I've had good luck with jeans from Alloy, their inseams go up to 37". I think they have dress slacks as well. Not expensive.

Things are a lot better now, back when I was a young woman "tall" sizes always started at size 8. Which was waaaaay too big for me. And they were always kinda "mature' styles.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    I've lost 49 lbs. so far but I'm still in the same jeans I was in 49 lbs ago. a) I have a big butt and a big lower belly and they hold them up and b) just because one *can* wear a certain size doesn't mean one *should* xD My belly used to hang over the top of these jeans and now there's no rolls over the top...and there is technically too much space in my waist (I belt it)...but because I have a bigger butt than I would like...and a large lower belly....they're snug in the bohonkus. I'm pretty sure I can't go down a size yet, due to my backside and lower tummy. My upper tummy down to my waist is showing huge differences but my lower belly is like "nope, I'm not going anywhere!" (mouthy stomach).
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Not only are body types different, but designers ideas of sizes are as well.
  • QAPmom
    QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
    I'm 5'4" and 171, shirts are some size M, mostly L and pants are 11/12 or waist between 29's and 31's/
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    I'm 5'7.5" , 212 lbs, and wear a size 14. It varies so much, because of a persons height, how they carry their weight, etc.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    i honestly just wish someone would realize that not all size 20 girls are TALL!

Being 6'2", I wish more "tall" jeans actually were tall. Shorter people can fold the bottoms and take them to be hemmed. Tall people can not add length to pants if it doesn't exist to begin with. I wear a 36"-37" inseam in pants and have to spend a small fortune to find pants that I can wear.

yeah I can understand what both of you are saying. I'm 5'8" and honestly felt like 99% of plus size clothing was cut PERFECTLY for my height and body type. The only problem I EVER had was arm holes being way too big in sleeveless tops & dresses. Aside from that, I felt like clothes in sizes 18-24 were cut for ME. Not for someone shorter than me or taller than me. Which is odd because there are a huge number of women much shorter/taller!

Now that I'm in large "misses" sizes I find the height/length thing still true, and understand that most of my shorter friends have to hem things and taller friends have a rough time when brands don't offer tall (and sometimes even then).

As for difficulty finding tall jeans, I feel for you ^ at 5'8" with average length legs I have worn some tall jeans that were fine for me so I can imagine with some brands, tall does not mean much :-( I have given up on maxi dresses for similar reasons. They're not a style that really appeals much to me anyway, but I have tried on like 10 of them and 8 of them came above my ankle and the other two were trailing badly on the ground.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    I wear the same size now as I did over 50 lbs heavier. It just really depends on your body type. I see people all the time my same weight who wear clothes much smaller than I do. And people much heavier than me wear the same size I do (Obviously since I wore that same size heavier and now)

i've seen you say this on a few posts now and i've seen your pictures. you look so much smaller now !!
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    This is a pet peeve of mine. I wish all manufacturers would have the same sizing. I've lost 24 lbs. and am now 180 lbs. I'm STILL in a size 18. When I was 117 lbs. I wore an 8/10. It would be so much easier if all sizes were the same...I hate trying on clothes!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    I am 5 foot 10, 209lbs and a size 16. When I was 239 I was still a size 16. I have no idea how sizing works these days. I could NEVER shop online for clothing.
  • I weight 176 lbs and wear a size 12.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    ready made clothing doesn't have a sizing standard at least not in the US. I sew a lot of my own clothing. Patterns use an old standard of sizing that hasn't changed one bit over the decades. Most pattern companies don't start at size 0. I still have to remind myself to ignore the sizing on the pattern and instead focus on the measurements for the sizes and the finished garment. I started sewing my own clothing because I felt the ready made clothes were making me looking heavier and frumpier. By making my own items I can adjust the proportions and move darts and seams for a more flattering fit.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    I'm 5'8 and I was a size 14 from 220 lbs down to 170 lbs.
    Above 220 I seemed to jump sized quickly.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    it seriously all varies. your height, body frame size, and where you carry your weight all depends. when i was younger and 175 i was a size 14. then i gained and lost a bunch of weight and was that weight again, only this time i did it right and exercised and ate right, and i was a size 10-12. there is no predicting sizes unfortunately. people who are my weight are normally in the 20's and i'm a 16. it makes no sense right?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    As has been said, you can't predict clothing size purely by weight.

I'm 5'9" and at 225-235 I was a size 18. Now I'm 206 and a 14. At 195 I'm a 12.
    The smallest I have ever been is a size 6 at around 152. I never thought I would be able to be that small, either, as I was overweight for most of my youth. I think I'd be happy at 160 for the rest of my life, and could maintain that without too much effort.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    ready made clothing doesn't have a sizing standard at least not in the US. I sew a lot of my own clothing. Patterns use an old standard of sizing that hasn't changed one bit over the decades. Most pattern companies don't start at size 0. I still have to remind myself to ignore the sizing on the pattern and instead focus on the measurements for the sizes and the finished garment. I started sewing my own clothing because I felt the ready made clothes were making me looking heavier and frumpier. By making my own items I can adjust the proportions and move darts and seams for a more flattering fit.

You are lucky to have time and talent to do this :love: I tried this back in high school....and I looked even frumpier, lol!

You bring up a good point, although it may have been mentioned earlier. Vanity sizing! It's awful.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    5'3, 144 pounds, US size 6, Small top/occasionally a M if it fits super tight.

When I was 19, i was 120 pounds and a US size 0.

It all has to do with bone structure (how dense your bones are), heredity, height and proportions!
  • scthomas100
    scthomas100 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm 5'4 and weigh anywhere from 220-230. I currently have pants ranging from size 16-24 that all fit and shirts from M-XXL. I do have wise hips and a larger butt that throws off my pants/skirt size. Even at 150 pounds I was still wearing size 12/14 on average.